Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

Covid over in 30 days

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Covid over in 30 days
    Posted: September 15 2020 at 5:43am

COVID is a Powderpuff. 

The narrative will be dead after the US election. About two weeks later its will be flushed down the memory hole. 

ViQueen24 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote ViQueen24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2020 at 7:24am

Yes, because the world revolves around us.  πŸ™„

roni3470 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roni3470 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2020 at 2:38pm

Well Cobber, every person on this forum hopes you are correct.....for whatever reason, we would all love it to be gone in 30 days!

NOW is the Season to Know

that Everything you Do

is Sacred
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2020 at 4:34pm

Well it's taken slightly longer than 30days over there in Victoria,but looks like they getting on top of it now,

And NSW has the Gold standard as to open up safely by the look of it, 

We remain sealed up..... 

SCIENCE PREVAILS....... 

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.πŸ––

Marcus Aurelius
cobber View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2020 at 11:18pm

I was wrong the election was further off. November 3rd. 

This boogie man will be pushed very had in the media. I assume it will be absolutely hammered all the way up to the culmination on election day.  There will be a ton of emotive stuff .

I wish the general public weren't so stupid and could see through this bull$hit

0.3% fatalities

carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 1:35am

Think you better call Boris Cobber......

BBC News - Covid: Boris Johnson warns of tougher measures if new rules are flouted

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54260259

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.πŸ––

Marcus Aurelius
EdwinSm, View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote EdwinSm, Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 1:37am

For it to be over by the election "the curve needs to be flatten".  Remember that phrase from the beginning of the outbreak?

carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 5:02am

Must mean 2024....election.....

Marcus Aurelius
Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 6:03am

The western world has flattened the curve, ok, so not ---------,  but l  -  it's still flat.   

l

l

l

How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
cobber View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2020 at 5:15am

Now its 30 days to go. 

It will be over soon.

EdwinSm, View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdwinSm, Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2020 at 7:46am

Did you just change the thread title?  Because 30 days from the first post is 15th October, not the date of the election.

From a European perspective it is confusing why you tie the unfolding of a pandemic to the USA political time table.  Or was your concern (as you mentioned "narrative") more about how the papers report things rather than the actual progression of the pandemic?

carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2020 at 3:10pm

Typo.....

Over in 300 days.....methinks.....lol

Marcus Aurelius
AI View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2020 at 9:25pm

Originally posted by roni3470 roni3470 wrote:

Well Cobber, every person on this forum hopes you are correct.....for whatever reason, we would all love it to be gone in 30 days!

Seems to me some on this forum would rather it be what it isn't. And what it isn't, is a particularly deadly virus. 

β€œFacts don't care about your feelings.”
― Ben Shapiro
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 2:03am

No, it isn't particularily deadly, AI.  But it is more than deadly enough and extremely contagious.  Almost 210 thousand American citizens are proof of that.  

Much more worrying is the fact that this new bug is a coronavirus.  Coronaviridae share certain characteristics.  They are airborne, highly contagious and change their spike proteins often.  As a result, becoming endemic, developing a more deadly strain and learning to defeat both vaccines and treatments are all possible.  There is a host of good reasons why the WHO keep trying to encourage suppression.  There may also be hidden leftovers from having the disease that we do not yet know about.  This happens with emerging disease.  We do know that even younger sufferers are vulnerable to resultant heart disease.  We do not yet know (and will not know possibly for years) how long that will last, or even if it is permanent.  Only a handful of people on the entire planet can get the sort of treatments Trump just accessed.

Locking down only the vulnerable is an option.  But not a good one.  For them it is often a death sentence.  An old friend of my husband and I died just last week, not from covid, but because of it.  Being locked down and vulnerable, she died of another condition, when her treatments were put on hold.  Other friends have had cancer treatments suspended, as the risks of chemotherapy's immune suppression outweigh the benefits during this pandemic.  You could say (logically and correctly) that they are terminal anyway - but not to my face!  They could have had decades, now it is merely years and in one case just months.  Everyone on Earth is terminally ill.  We are all mortal.  But those intervening years matter.  One of those vulnerable people I count as friends is a teenager, another a fireman.  

All have families. 

All matter. 

ALL!

I really wish this were less deadly.  I wish it were less contagious too.  I wish it were not a type of coronavirus.  I wish selfish covidiots would stop downplaying it because they think their freedom to prove themselves selfish (no mask), knowlegable (cherry picked information) or politically astute (£$&*$£!!!) outweighs other people's right to life and health.  

Covidiots is what I am allowed to call them.  Not the words I want to use.

BeachMama View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BeachMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 8:46am

Technophobe, 

What you wrote was so incredibly powerful. I could not agree more.

I am so sorry for the situation your friends find themselves in; how heartbreaking. 

AI View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 10:46am

Originally posted by Technophobe Technophobe wrote:

No, it isn't particularily deadly, AI.  But it is more than deadly enough and extremely contagious.  Almost 210 thousand American citizens are proof of that.  

Much more worrying is the fact that this new bug is a coronavirus.  Coronaviridae share certain characteristics.  They are airborne, highly contagious and change their spike proteins often.  As a result, becoming endemic, developing a more deadly strain and learning to defeat both vaccines and treatments are all possible.  There is a host of good reasons why the WHO keep trying to encourage suppression.  There may also be hidden leftovers from having the disease that we do not yet know about.  This happens with emerging disease.  We do know that even younger sufferers are vulnerable to resultant heart disease.  We do not yet know (and will not know possibly for years) how long that will last, or even if it is permanent.  Only a handful of people on the entire planet can get the sort of treatments Trump just accessed.

Locking down only the vulnerable is an option.  But not a good one.  For them it is often a death sentence.  An old friend of my husband and I died just last week, not from covid, but because of it.  Being locked down and vulnerable, she died of another condition, when her treatments were put on hold.  Other friends have had cancer treatments suspended, as the risks of chemotherapy's immune suppression outweigh the benefits during this pandemic.  You could say (logically and correctly) that they are terminal anyway - but not to my face!  They could have had decades, now it is merely years and in one case just months.  Everyone on Earth is terminally ill.  We are all mortal.  But those intervening years matter.  One of those vulnerable people I count as friends is a teenager, another a fireman.  

All have families. 

All matter. 

ALL!

I really wish this were less deadly.  I wish it were less contagious too.  I wish it were not a type of coronavirus.  I wish selfish covidiots would stop downplaying it because they think their freedom to prove themselves selfish (no mask), knowlegable (cherry picked information) or politically astute (£$&*$£!!!) outweighs other people's right to life and health.  

Covidiots is what I am allowed to call them.  Not the words I want to use.

Interesting that you have been in favor of lockdowns previously, yet now you say they are not a good option. Yes they are not a good option for the entire population given the extremely low IFR of Covid among the lower age groups. Lockdowns should only include those most vulnerable of the population. When the cure is more harmful than the condition it's simply not logical to pursue a cure that is. I'll wager that future studies and information will show the effects of lockdowns to be more detrimental than the virus is long term, as a result of delayed health care or treatments, suicide, drug and alcohol abuse, stress, domestic violence, as well as just plain violence. You think the rise in homicides in the major cities isn't tied directly to the lockdowns? In a population of 320 plus million the ripple effects of the lockdows has yet to be fully realized or quantified.

Granted the information that drove the lockdowns has changed as more information has become known. And with that changed information our attitudes and the way we approach the virus must change as well and realize it for what it actually is and isn't.  People can't live in the March 2020 COVID induced world of fear forever. Reality is knocking and the world goes on.

β€œFacts don't care about your feelings.”
― Ben Shapiro
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 1:26pm

Thank you, Beachmama.  It was nice to be both read and understood.  I was starting to think I was writing gibberish.  I did say. "locking down only the vulnerable" was a bad idea, didn't I, not: "full lockdowns."  I believe I even explained why: "locking down only the vulnerable"  was so bad an idea,  I even gave examples - didn't I?

Well some people could twist anything, I suppose.  

Anyway, thank you again.  At least I know my sanity still holds.

cobber View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2020 at 6:57am

Not long now and we can get on with our lives..

Everything is starting to come out. 

WHO  LOL what a joke

EdwinSm, View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdwinSm, Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2020 at 10:53pm

Not long now.....until we find that Cobber misspelled adding a "D" to POWER-PUFF.  This virus seems to have lot of "Puff" left.

Granted this is not the "slate-wiper" although that may happen if the medical facilities are overwhelmed (I heard on this morning's radio news that Belgium has announced that all its ICU are full), and civil order breaks down.

WitchMisspelled View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2020 at 7:15am

Yup. Less than two weeks.  Get the champagne chilled...

morpheuskrs View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote morpheuskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2020 at 10:49am

Quite frankly, I am getting fed up with the politicians, everywhere. Not much to say about the so called medical scientists either.

They are either trying their best to look optimistic, about the efforts being made by the populations to get on top of this virus, OR, they are terrified at the prospect of, as a politician said, "An Inconvenient Truth".

There are far too many instances of significant numbers of people, from far too many countries, ignoring the rules in place altogether, or merely abiding by the rules that suit them. That completely undermines any optimism that any politician can have. And mine as well!!!

There are apparently, up to eleven potential vaccines, undergoing stage three trials. Quite honestly, I won't hold my breath. The medical bunch seem to think, that a 50% efficacy would be a result. Oh no it wouldn't. Two or three jabs a year, that still leaves us with a one in two chance of catching it, is not a vaccine. It would also be mightily expensive to bring into being, assuming it could ever be done, with the regular incompetence shown day in, day out, by so many governments.

This leaves us with the inconvenient truth.............This virus is here to stay, at least for the foreseeable future. Let's say, about fifty to one hundred years.

One scientist suggests there could be as many as 20,000 variants of Covid-19, and many more still to emerge.

I personally went into 'Lockdown' on February 5 2020. My only 'adventures' out, have been to work, or to shop, and nothing else. I am still in 'Lockdown' and I plan on staying there. 

The television is rubbish, and I'm fed up with the constant repeats. The radio isn't any better. But I am safe where I am, in my four walls.

At least I think I am.

Morpheus
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2020 at 2:18pm

Feel for you morpheuskrs,

my mom lives Birmingham,she lives alone, 85yrs,only sees one person ......

Just heard Dr Fauci saying "we might see some sort of normal late 2021into 2022.....

We may open our borders to the rest of Australia by December I'm guessing,if Melbourne stays covid free for 28 days

(great movie" 28 days later")

Stay safe,keep well all  πŸ˜·πŸ˜‰

Marcus Aurelius
EdwinSm, View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote EdwinSm, Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2020 at 2:09am

Election day been and gone,,,,and covid-19 seems to have been relegated to second place in the news.... but it is not going to fade away like a powder puff.  Rather if cases keep rising then it might be USA that fades away not the coronavirus,  

US hits record daily case rise three days running

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-54851759

Tabitha111 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tabitha111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2020 at 4:07am

"We are not going to control the pandemic." - Mark Meadows, President Trump's Chief of Staff Oct. 25, 2020

Mark Meadows has tested positive for #COVID19

'A man who does not think and plan long ahead will find trouble right at his door.'
--Confucius

Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tabitha111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2020 at 4:09am

Meanwhile~~HOSPITAL CRISIS IN FRANCE: #COVID19 is now so bad, WhatsApp groups of ER staff in Paris: “There are 15 patients in the corridors, we do not know where to put them, we keep watch until 4 am, if it continues like this, we are going to crash", fears ER staff.

'A man who does not think and plan long ahead will find trouble right at his door.'
--Confucius

cobber View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2020 at 4:57am

Covid is over. 

Any day now it will be diminished by some event.

Scientists found a milder strain

or 

Vaccine

or 

Medical intervention

Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2020 at 6:35am

ksc just posted an article about Pfizer claiming its vaccine has a 90% efficacy.  Good news but it's not over by a long shot.  It will still be six to 12 months before that vaccine is approved, manufactured and administered.

Meanwhile we sit with an increased infection rate of 120,000+ cases a day in the U.S.  So the CFR might be lower, but it will still overwhelm our hospital system.  Italy reports its healthcare system is on the brink of failure. Six of one/half dozen of another.  But, you're entitled to your opinion, Cobber.  But I think we'll still be living with this for at least another year.  And it won't disappear... it will remain in the news and in the uppermost consciousness of those of us who don't believe this is all one big hoax.

roni3470 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roni3470 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2020 at 6:57am

according to them, they will have the required FDA numbers by third week in November and millions of doses of the vaccine have already been produced.  They are ready to ship and start administering.  Going to be interesting!!

NOW is the Season to Know

that Everything you Do

is Sacred
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2020 at 7:58am

Saying millions will be ready to go is impressive.  But there are over 330,000,000 in the U.S. alone.  I doubt that Pfizer will limit itself to selling a vaccine with such efficacy to the U.S. alone.  It's still going to be six to 12 months before enough are vaccinated for herd immunity to kick in.  

carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2020 at 2:11pm

Originally posted by cobber cobber wrote:

Covid is over. 

Any day now it will be diminished by some event.

Scientists found a milder strain

or 

Vaccine

or 

Medical intervention

DREAM ON DREAMER......

Marcus Aurelius
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2020 at 12:59pm

One quarter of all US cases have shown up in November - and the month isn’t over yet. The line on the graph is getting awful steep for something that is going away.

"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
cobber View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2021 at 5:08pm

I'm giving this thread a kick in the guts again.... 

My original assumption was the virus would be over after the November election. I was wrong?  Maybe

Seeing the election was protracted and no clear winner. I believe the reporting of the virus was extended. Now with a clear winner (?) I'm betting the virus disappears very rapidly. In two months, I'll come back and visit again. I'm betting the narrative will be "thank god it over".

I'll preface this by saying. There will be masks and vaccine passports BS etc. But the hype will be gone. The narrative will change.

See you March 21....   Powderpuff day

Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2021 at 5:44pm

400k deaths in the USA is no powderpuff.  The numbers there are still rising.  That does not look like 'going away' either.  It looks as if 1 person in 5 has had it.  That means 4 out of five have not and remember it can be caught a second time, often with a worse outcome than the first.

Over here in the UK, things are going from bad to worse.  Our hospitals are full and they are only treating emergencies and covid.  We are in full lockdown and the numbers of infected, critically ill and dead have barely plateaued as a result.  They don't seem to be going down despite draconian measures.   OK, so we have a new variant, but it has already escaped our borders.  Have a look at the video Hazelpad posted: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/health-55724994 if you find that hard to swallow.

Some years ago animal rights people released loads of mink into our countryside (BLOODY IDIOTS!) not only have they killed almost all watervoles in Scotland (extinction now looms) and many farmers' smaller livestock (a few of our chickens for instance) but they can catch, carry and transmit this bug.  Show me the mink that will wear a mask or wash its paws.  This area is infested with them.  They can get into chicken runs through surprisingly tiny holes.

Personally, I phone my doctor's surgery once every two months for repeat perscriptions; the last 3 calls have met answerphone messages saying the surgery is shut.  They used to offer the flu vaccine locally, now we would need to have travelled 20 miles to the nearest bigg-ish town to get it.  (We declined.  The trip was too risky and it is hard to catch flu when you are utterly isolated.)  I have not lost anyone very close, but several people close to me have, I grieve for them;  one has lost 4 close family members and Bernard lost an old lover - still loved if not still 'in love', she was the lady who first introduced us. I owe a huge debt to her memory.

More young seem to be getting sick and now it appears that some of the 'recovered' fall ill and die long after the numbers are counted as Covid deaths.

If this is a powderpuff, it is impregnated with aconite (the contact poison extracted from wolfsbane).

ViQueen24 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ViQueen24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2021 at 6:53pm

I don't call this powderpuff:

https://www.woodtv.com/health/coronavirus/study-1-in-4-covid-19-patients-considered-long-haulers/

Study: 1 in 4 COVID-19 patients considered ‘long haulers’

CORONAVIRUS

by: Matt Jaworowski

Posted: Oct 22, 2020 / 03:12 PM EDT / Updated: Oct 22, 2020 / 03:29 PM EDT

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) — A new study led by the University of Michigan and the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services found more than 25% of Michiganders diagnosed with COVID-19 are considered “long haulers,” meaning they are still dealing with health effects from the virus.

For the study, researchers surveyed 638 Michiganders who were diagnosed with COVID-19 before April 15. Everyone was contacted at least 10 weeks after their diagnosis for follow-up questions. Of the 638, 26.2% say they are still dealing with virus symptoms and don’t consider themselves fully recovered.

“A lot of what’s been circulating in the media about COVID is that it affects a small group of people very severely, but the majority of people recover,” said Jana Hirschtick, one of two lead researchers on the project from the University of Michigan. “And I think two key things that we are learning from our study is that among people who have been diagnosed, actually, the majority of them are reporting severe or very severe symptoms and that a lot of people aren’t recovering even months later, so prevention is really key.”

Of the 638 patients surveyed, 25.8% of them say they suffered “very severe” symptoms at the height of their illness, while 39% only called them severe. A combined 35.2% said their symptoms were either moderate or mild.

Still, the survey shows the virus isn’t only a long-term problem for long haulers. Of the 420 respondents who do consider themselves recovered, 16.9% of them say it took at least seven weeks or longer for them to beat the virus entirely. Approximately two out of five recovered respondents felt better after two weeks of their diagnosis, and about three out of five felt fully recovered within three weeks.

Of those surveyed, 29% say they ended up being hospitalized by COVID-19. Of those that were hospitalized, 64% were in and out in less than a week. Only 10.4% were there for longer than three weeks.

The Michigan researchers believe their survey stands out because they aren’t simply looking at the impact COVID-19 is having on the people dealing with the extreme outcomes of the virus.

“Most other studies to date have focused on a subset of COVID cases, either studying those who were hospitalized or those who maybe visited an outpatient clinic,” Hirschtick said. “Which makes it really hard to make general inferences to the general population because so many people with COVID are not being hospitalized. Our study is unique because we are looking at all confirmed positive cases. So, we are still missing people who were not tested, but we are catching everyone with a positive test in the state of Michigan.”

Researchers are already working on a second version of the study, following up with more Michiganders diagnosed with COVID-19 through the spring. They hope to learn more about the demographics and figure out the similarities between COVID-19 long haulers.

The full report can be found online.

But, glad you think this is a powderpuff.  Maybe you don't mind having to shell out for people who are disabled long-term?   But some people do.  And that says nothing for the suffering that these people are going thru.  The world doesn't revolve around the American election and Mr. Tangerine Man. 

carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2021 at 7:14pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/health-55724994

Maybe you should volunteer at this hospital........

Marcus Aurelius
cobber View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2021 at 9:26pm

I'm not going to argue emotive arguments. Facts and statistics are the better measure. I'm just saying that the figures have been vastly overstated. 

On 20th of February 2020 we worked out the CFR. It was 0.3%. This figure was very close to the mark. Top virologists were coming in with similar numbers. HOWEVER...  at the time. The media, the CDC and the WHO all stated high numbers. At this point I knew it was a stitch up. 

Lies!

Just wait two months. 

The back pedaling is already starting...  https://twitter.com/AndySwan/status/1351975650521993221

enjoy the show

Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2021 at 7:22am

I presume you have not watched any American news lately.  

Had you done so, you would have seen how far twitter posts can deviate from the truth.

Incidentally a disease does not need a huge CFR to cause devestation.  What it really neads is a long convalescent period and a high R0.  Ring any bells?

KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2021 at 1:04pm

Originally posted by Technophobe Technophobe wrote:

400k deaths in the USA is no powderpuff.  The numbers there are still rising.  That does not look like 'going away' either.  It looks as if 1 person in 5 has had it.  That means 4 out of five have not and remember it can be caught a second time, often with a worse outcome than the first.

This is where I need clarification. The fact you can catch it again, and i've also read that the new variants can be caught by someone who had developed strong antibodies for the original Sars Cov 2, because the mutations have made it so different. I've also read from multiple sources that the vaccines neither stop you from catching Covid, nor stop you from transmitting Covid to other people. So as far as I can make out, the only point of the vaccine is to reduce the number of people who develop serious complications from the disease, thereby reducing the strain on the medical system. So by taking the vaccine I'm not saving lives or doing anything to reduce the spread, I'm simply helping out the health service.

Have I missed the point?

Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2021 at 2:03pm

I don't really have good answers for you yet.

Yes, the vaccines do make you imune to the disease in most cases (but not all - however 90 or 95% is a good score) and protect against severe disease in the other few vaccinated.   So they make good sense.  For those strains not covered (possibly the Brazilian) as they protect against the other strains, and thereby eliminate the post covid damage, they give some protection even there.

We are also hoping that if enough people are vaccinated, then we can achieve the fabled 'herd immunity'.  But the answer to that question is not simple.  The R0 goes up and down as new strains appear and as lockdowns and other methods are tried.  It is a goal, but we do not yet know how many have to have had the disease to achieve it.  We could make a few educated guesses, but then another strain emerges and it is back to the drawing board.  Just dropping the number of transmissions, will save many lives.

Basically, they do prevent disease in most cases and along with that at least reduce transmission (immune people still need to wash their hands).

No vaccine ever protects everyone (except in those cases where the disease goes extinct - like smallpox).  But protecting most people can be enough to improve things beyond all measure.  Don't let the perfect get in the way of the good.

cobber View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2021 at 5:31pm

LOL. Can't make this stuff up. 

https://www.zerohedge.com/economics/right-cue-biden-who-admits-high-cycle-pcr-tests-produce-massive-covid-false-positives

We argued high cycle PCR tests were inaccurate in March last year. Obviously the wrong standard to use. 40 cycles! Obviously wrong! False positives everywhere. Govt did nothing...

Now they change the standard on the day Biden inauguration. No media will report this. The cases will just magically drop. 

You seeing how this works yet?

Covid is a Powderpuff!

carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2021 at 6:34pm

So what do you say about the UK 1800 a day dead,

Is Biden fudging those numbers.....

And in Germany are is Biden fudging those numbers....

Such a d...khead...

Stupid conspiracy theories......

Take care all πŸ˜·πŸ˜‰

Marcus Aurelius
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2021 at 12:59am

PerthNow: Japanese government make drastic decision to cancel 2021 Tokyo Olympics.

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/olympics/japanese-government-make-drastic-decision-to-cancel-2021-tokyo-olympics-ng-b881776163z

How do you explain Japan ,they seem to be having a problem,

Biden magic not working there......

Marcus Aurelius
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tabitha111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2021 at 7:34am
--Confucius

carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2021 at 1:50pm

I did see Olympics  are supposed to be back on again 

We will have to wait and see on that one........

I won't be holding my breath.....

Take care all 

Marcus Aurelius
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2021 at 2:28pm

NPR: Coronavirus Crisis Gets 'Even Worse' In Brazilian Amazon City Of Manaus.

https://www.npr.org/2021/01/22/959567446/coronavirus-crisis-gets-even-worse-in-brazilian-amazon-city-of-manaus?ft=nprml&f=1001

Biden's election dosnt  seem to have reversed  Brazil's woes.......odd that !!!!

Marcus Aurelius
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic