Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - USA's global standing plummets over covid response
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

USA's global standing plummets over covid response

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: USA's global standing plummets over covid response
    Posted: September 16 2020 at 1:59am

DW (English): US global standing plummets over coronavirus response: survey.

https://dw.com/p/3iWCo?maca=en-gk-volltext-newsstand-topstories-en-10709-xml-googlenews

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.🖖

Marcus Aurelius
KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2020 at 3:32pm

From a NZ perspective, I don't think the American people themselves have lost much standing, it's just that President Trump has. He's like a caricature of a caricature. I'm not saying this to Trump bash, but when you compare his actions to those of other leaders, he changes tack so often, contradicts himself or his colleagues, has knee jerk reactions and absolutely everything he says or does is about him and his popularity. I think the main problem is his access and use of Twitter. It's very easy for anyone to knee jerk against a perceived sleight or criticism, and then we all regret it later when we've calmed down. But Trump has one of the most prominent platforms in the world so when he speaks (or tweets) everyone hears him. If only his advisors had a way of putting a 24 hour delay on his tweets then Im sure not so many of his rants and raves would have become public.

Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2020 at 4:14pm

Exactly!

Americans are lovely people.

Then again, so were most Germans in the 1930s

I spotted this; it echoes what I have been saying for the last 4 years.

A few years back, the gift shop of The United States Holocaust Memorial Museum used to sell this poster with 14 early signs of fascism listed on it. Apparently, the list was originally created by self-proclaimed amateur historian Laurence Britt in 2003 for an article published by Free Inquiry magazine. Even though the gift shop of the museum doesn’t sell this poster anymore, it still goes viral on the internet every once in a while. Why, you ask? Apparently, people find it particularly familiar at this point in American politics.

Here are 14 early signs of fascism by Laurence Britt

Image credits: TuEstUnePommeDeTerre

The degree varies, but every box gets some sort of tick under Trump.

https://www.boredpanda.com/signs-fascism-holocaust-museum-usa/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Newsletter

How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
WitchMisspelled View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2020 at 4:37pm

I would be curious to see how America's standing reverses once Trump is out of office.  Thanks for the vote of confidence from my overseas buddies!

AI View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2020 at 5:45pm

Originally posted by WitchMisspelled WitchMisspelled wrote:

I would be curious to see how America's standing reverses once Trump is out of office.  Thanks for the vote of confidence from my overseas buddies!

Well you might well be waiting 4 and a half years for that. But they say patience is a virtue, so there always that to hold on to.

“Facts don't care about your feelings.”
― Ben Shapiro
KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2020 at 1:10am

Originally posted by WitchMisspelled WitchMisspelled wrote:

I know this might sound ridiculous, but whenever I hear Tom Hanks talk, I think there's hope for America. He's such a reasonable man and there must be more like him. I watched a TV show about cruising yesterday where the host went on a river cruise through parts of the southern states of America, and everywhere she went the people were just lovely: warm and friendly, polite and hospitable, and it all looked lovely. Our click bait media worldwide looks for sensationalism and so just prints the extremes of behaviour and, in doing so, leave out the middle 80% of people who are just trying to make a living and get on with their neighbours. 

My hope for the US is that they get a president who is content to just do their best for the country and doesn't try to personally be the centre of attention at all times. America's government shouldn't be a one man song and dance act.

Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
Dutch Josh View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutch Josh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2020 at 2:03am

I think there isa difference between the US population and the US as a country. I feel familia(i)r with what I read/see of most average Americans. From Archie Bunker to Michael Moore "could almost be family". 

The US as a country is a different story. The (lack of national) covid response with many deaths, people going bankrupt due to medical bills I think are shocking for most modern countries. But it comes on top of endless US wars for oil/gas controll-against Russia, Iran and China. 

Trump breaking all kinds of international agreements-on climate, Iran-deal, WHO, START/INF weapons and "the US being above any international law" is unacceptable. The start of the gap between Europe and the US may go back to the Reagan-Tatcher(-Pinochet) friendship over 30 years ago. Europe has a more "nuanced" stand in the Middle East etc. 

Both the end of the Soviet Union 1991 and 9/11-2001 did widen the gap. (But on 9-11-1973 the US killed a democratic elected president in Chile-Salvador Allende, Europe and the US were on "different roads" for much longer. (For Johnson it was "hard" to accept the UK did not join the US in the Viet Nam War (like South Korea, Australia, New Zealand did) When you look at longer term history the US is "a former colony" of wich the UK till World War 1 hoped to get some control. Decolonization maybe started in 1776-the US winning the War on Independence-from a European Empire..

We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.
~Albert Einstein
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2020 at 4:58am

The sad truth is, Tom Hanks would be considered one of those "Hollywood Liberals" here.  The other sad truth is, it's not just about getting a president who does what's best for the country (and that's a matter of opinion here), it's about getting rid of those elected leaders who will do what's best for the country. 

Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2020 at 5:07am

Thanks for that DJ!  Very well thought out and informed.

FWIW, I have that family.  We run from foaming at the mouth Antifa Liberals, to blood-in-the-eye conservatives, to outright white supremacists who have a swastika tiled into their basement floor (honest!)  Then there's a couple of us who are moderates.  We tend to keep to ourselves.  But I will note that one can talk to and have a cognizant conversation with the Antifa Liberals.  It's the Conservatives and White Supremacists you can't get a straight answer/conversation from.  With them, it's always "look over there" kind of thing to get you off the subject of what they stand for.  

Elie Weisel once said that if you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.  That's what's happened here in the U.S.    

Dutch Josh View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutch Josh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2020 at 9:59pm

WM-Good quote ! 

Elie Weisel once said that if you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.  That's what's happened here in the U.S.  

DJ-I think there is not that much difference between developments in the US and in Europe. We also have all kind of extremism here as well-a lack of willing to try to understand the different views. 

Since Europe is not one country, has many languages, the picture may appear different. Our "media" may be blind-not willing to see-some developments. [url]https://www.dw.com/en/opinion-germany-speaks-volumes-with-silence-on-racist-cops/a-54968099[/url] or https://www.dw.com/en/opinion-germany-speaks-volumes-with-silence-on-racist-cops/a-54968099 just as an example..

We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.
~Albert Einstein
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic