Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

Trump tests positive for Covid.......

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2020 at 1:46am

Did someone actually suggest I left for a better site? Good luck finding one 

"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2020 at 1:54am

Originally posted by jacksdad jacksdad wrote:

Did someone actually suggest I left for a better site? Good luck finding one 

Hi Jacksdad, long time no see. I've missed your comments.

Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2020 at 2:44am

Back at ya, KiwiMum   

Sorry I haven’t been around - life’s being getting in the way a little. 

"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2020 at 2:58am

Hi jacksdad,

Missed ya, Hope you been OK....

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.πŸ––

Marcus Aurelius
EdwinSm, View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote EdwinSm, Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2020 at 3:52am

Good to see you back, Jacksdad

Do you think that other man would be pleased to be called a SUPER-speader ?   Would he take it as a compliment?

Quote Top US virus expert Dr Anthony Fauci has criticised the White House for hosting a gathering last month that has been linked to an outbreak of Covid-19.

Dr Fauci, a member of the White House coronavirus task force, said the unveiling of President Donald Trump's nominee to the Supreme Court was a "superspreader event".

At least 11 people who attended the event on 26 September tested positive.

https://www.bbc.com/news/election-us-2020-54487154

I think the definition of a superspreader event is 10 or more people being infected.

WitchMisspelled View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2020 at 3:55am

Good to see you Jacksdad!  Life does get in the way, doesn't it.  Hope things are being resolved satisfactorily for you and yours.

Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2020 at 5:48am

Jacksdad!    

You're back!    

WELCOME HOME!  

We missed you!     

I missed you!!!  

How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2020 at 9:29am

Good to be back. Thankfully I didn't die again (old timers will get that one...).

Been a bit busy with work and my ridiculously long to-do list, and it doesn't help that my phone - my primary link these days to the internet - hates AFT with a passion. I finally got our old desktop computer working again though, so hopefully we're back in business. Nice to have a keyboard that's the same size as my big, fat fingers.

I'm an essential healthcare worker and my patients are extremely immune compromised, so many of their routine clinic visits for things like blood draws have now become home visits, with me rolling up to their front door in full PPE and undoubtedly making them the talk of the neighborhood. Driving a white unmarked van probably doesn't help in that respect  

I've been trying to prepare for what I feel is an inevitable resurgence in Covid-19 by building lots of storage space in the apartment and garage. I've been going through my original preps too, and pretty much tossing everything and replacing it with fresh stuff. Word to the wise - canned preps do not do well after their expiration date. I had always been told they would last indefinitely, and while I'm sure we wouldn't have died if we'd used them, the ones I tested did not taste good. Lesson learned - rotate on a regular basis. Today's project is a new steel security door instead of the old screen door, just in case we need it. It's something I've been putting off for a while, but I think it might be prudent in light of the fact that we're seeing a lot more opportunistic crime in San Diego right now, especially things like bikes. My son's was recently taken from the balcony outside our bedroom window while we were home. They got through a steel U-lock and a cable with a huge padlock and we didn't hear a thing. Lots of garage break ins too, especially since San Diego PD have made it clear it's no longer a priority with everything else that's going on.

Anyway - off to buy some steel to fit my handy dandy new door. Catch you guys later. Nice to be back  

jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2020 at 9:44am

Back on topic - if the Superspreader-in-Chief makes it through the weekend (this is probably the make or break period in his recovery), at least he can rest easy knowing that he's probably going to eclipse the number of infections from the Rose Garden debacle by a mile with the rallies and gatherings he has planned. Wonder if he's started to crash yet after the fun and games we saw while he was out of his gourd on steroids?

For those who missed it, check out this awesome slice of craziness...

ViQueen24 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ViQueen24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2020 at 10:37am

Welcome back, Jack's Dad, a voice of reason.

carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2020 at 3:20pm

Originally posted by JellyMama JellyMama wrote:

If masks reduce the spread, wouldn’t Trump want everyone to wear masks to reduce the spread so he could get reelected if that was his goal? I’m not saying masks are ineffective but if you think Trump is doing or not doing things to get re-elected, then it doesn’t make any sense.

Why do you listen to the Real Estate guy.....?

who just wants a 2nd term,and has insisted its nothing to worry about.......(220 thousand  dead.........)

(If a 1,000 people  were killed in a plane crash a day would you get on a plane or take advise not to fly?)

And not Dr Fauci......who has Cared for the American people  for years,and served numerous  Presidents  ?

look at what other countries  are doing/ recommending.......

The Independent: Coronavirus: Masks should be mandatory in offices and outdoors, say doctors.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/face-masks-coronavirus-outdoors-office-work-bma-b938511.html

ABC News: Coronavirus Australia live news:.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-10-11/coronavirus-australia-live-news-covid-19-latest/12751498

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.πŸ––

Marcus Aurelius
JellyMama View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JellyMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2020 at 10:29pm

Sorry, you didn’t answer my question with your response. Why wouldn’t he want it under control if that is a factor in his re-election?

EdwinSm, View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdwinSm, Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2020 at 10:46pm

Why wouldn’t he want it under control if that is a factor in his re-election?

Because many of his supporters have made a litmus test* of the following 

wearing mask =  loss of personal freedom

For Trump to support mask wearing (in accordance to most medical opinion) would mean going against what most of his hard core supporters want.  Trump for his other faults seems to be very very good at reading the emotions and desires of his supporters and going with what they want.    So for Trump to be pro-mask means that he risks alienating his supports which he is unlikey to do so soon to an election.

So basically to keep his supporters happy he is willing to let the pandemic continue out of control.

* this phrase may date me, but in its day it meant a firm result between two alternatives (in the lab: between acid and alkaline)  

jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2020 at 10:50pm

Refusing to either wear a mask or advocate for wearing one is a deliberate tactic to appease his base, pure and simple. Science and medical advice are not something Trump is receptive to.

Dutch Josh View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutch Josh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2020 at 1:26am

Dr. John Campbell: Wearing a mask is critical, not political...Some people make pandemics, masks, medicine, science "politics". One should ask why they do so...

We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.
~Albert Einstein
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2020 at 5:58am

Why wouldn’t he want it under control if that is a factor in his re-election?
Everyone is guessing here, Republicans and Democrats and those unaffialiated.  The only person who could give you an honest answer to that would be Trump himself and he doesn't have the best honesty record.

For what little it is worth, IMHO, I think he made light of the virus at the start and now he would look confused, misinformed, ill-educated or lying if he changed his stance.  Hoping for re-election, that only leaves the option of 'brazen it out'; let it run riot but claim it is under control.  It's worked so far.

To summarise the science:

Mask wearing cuts down transmission of the virus, more for those the wearer comes in contact with than the wearer.
Mask wearing cuts down the severity of acquired infections, more for the wearer than those they come in contact with.

Social distancing reduces the transmission rate of the virus.

Obsessive hygene methods (washing hands, not touching face, using sanitiser and cleaning surfaces with soap, alcohol or bleach) reduce transmission of the virus.

Good ventilation reduces the transmission of the virus.

The true backbone of epidemiological control is: "Test, trace and isolate".  This is the most vital of all.

Isolation, shielding, quarrantine and lockdowns all MASSIVELY reduce viral transmission.  They are both the most effective option and the most economically costly.

NOT A SINGLE ONE OF THESE IS TOTALLY EFFECTIVE.  But put together in a comprehensive plan, they can drop the transmission rate below the magical R0 = 1 point.  If that is achieved, the virus can be eliminated.

To achieve this  a leader needs to take 5 steps:

1, Tell the bald unadulterated truth to the people.  Mask wearing is a patriotic duty to your fellow Citizens.  This is a marathon not a sprint; some controls must remain until a vaccine is found - only then, can you get the longed-for herd immunity - without colossal loss of life.

2,  Set up a comprehensive, national plan.  Starting with full lockdown and going on to specific areas of continued transmission only. Do ALL the rest as well.

3,  Lead the fight.  Follow your own rules and restrictions.  Set an example to the people.  Don't say: "Wear a mask" and take your own off.  Don't ban travel and then jett off.

4,  Set up assistance for those economically damaged and pay it all back later.  A sick, terrified workforce can't work.  Yes, this will cause an economic catastrophy!  But it will be a smaller one than it would have been if you fail.

5, Protect the medical staff.  They are your best weapon.  Protect the suppliers, farmers, distributors and those whose work enables the people to get necessary supplies.  You only think you need the rest.

I think it is now too late to adopt that strategy and still get re-elected.  The country needs it, the campaign does not.

WitchMisspelled View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2020 at 5:59am

Originally posted by EdwinSm, EdwinSm, wrote:

So basically to keep his supporters happy he is willing to let the pandemic continue out of control.

I'm not sure it's that simple.  He believes a swimming economy is his best chance at re-election.  He has to know by now he can't win this with solely the support of his base.  That constituency does not comprise the majority.  

There are other reasons, but I won't go into them.  All told, he was given bad advice and I'll leave it there.   

Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2020 at 12:26pm

Great article on how pandemics end.  It has some strange animation and uploading it was impossible (at least for this Technophobe) but it is here anyway:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-876f42ae-5e44-41c0-ba2d-d6fd537aadfe?utm_source=pocket-newtab-global-en-GB

carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2020 at 9:56pm

DW (English): Angela Merkel: Europe must learn coronavirus lessons as situation gets 'serious'.

https://dw.com/p/3jrsZ?maca=en-gk-volltext-newsstand-topstories-en-10709-xml-googlenews

And yet chump keeps insisting that it's no big deal .......

WHY....because hes only interested in a 2nd term......

Wake up....

Marcus Aurelius
EdwinSm, View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdwinSm, Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2020 at 2:29am

I recently heard Trump's voice on the news....it sounded bad (very hoarse).  

Would this be an effect of over-exerting himself in the run up to the election, or is it likely to be an on going effect of his covid-19 illness?   

I do wonder if he had been pushing himself too hard to appear to be on top of things and to seem to be strong.

Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2020 at 3:35am

More likely the stress of campaigning.  It can take quite a toll on candidates.  

But I do imagine the covid-hangover did not help.  Having fought such a nasty bug will have depleted his body's defences and energy levels, making the whole thing harder.

carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2020 at 4:01am

I think the "Doc"predicted it....

Sorry it was JacksDad....πŸ˜‰

Marcus Aurelius
JellyMama View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JellyMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2020 at 9:50pm

He’s been going non stop for days and had at least 4 rallies in one day in different states. He’s hoarse from talking so much.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic