Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

Cycling.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdwinSm, Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cycling.
    Posted: October 02 2020 at 3:42am

One of the changes needed to tackle Climate Change was to make cycling more popular.  This pandemic has given a shot in the arm to moves in that direction (mostly because packed public transport is not a good idea given how this coronavirus spreads)

. It even claims that Amsterdam has seen an increase (I always liked the Dutch attitude to cycling)

The BBC has a detailed write up on How pandemic sparked European cycling revolution https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-54353914.

It even claims that Amsterdam has seen an increase.  I always liked the Dutch attitude to cycling.  I live so close to our village centre that I just walk now, but back in the day I used to cycle into central London (on back streets to be a little safer).

Dutch Josh View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutch Josh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2020 at 4:04am

EdwinSM-Sorry-second hand car deals are going up-it is true that bicycle-shops are doing very good bussiness these months-the infrastructure is becoming more and more a problem. Congestion on cycle paths is a problem in most cities. For politics often "traffic" means "cars" not bicycles. 

[url]https://www.snelfietsroutesgelderland.nl/arnhemnijmegencycling[/url] or https://www.snelfietsroutesgelderland.nl/arnhemnijmegencycling there are great plans in this region to increase the use of bikes. In practice on the local level politics choose for cars-not bikes. 

Most hospitals in this region are not very easy to reach by bike-you have to have a very good condition. Also parking a bike often is "chaotic". 

Airquality is another problem-in inner cities air quality in NL is below European norms. Our "liberal conservative government" gives much room to Shell, tobacco, big pharma. (With the [url]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People%27s_Party_for_Freedom_and_Democracy[/url] or https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People%27s_Party_for_Freedom_and_Democracy not being open on how it gets funded, a lot of scandals on integrity (to being corrupt) being a very serious problem. DJ-In my opinion this-largest-Dutch political party is a white wash criminal organization-in part funded by tax fraud.) 

Fortunately there is also enough open space between (parts of) cities-Germany's cycling infrastructure is most worse than that of NL, but Denmark-Kopenhagen-may be better by now.

We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.
~Albert Einstein
WitchMisspelled View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2020 at 6:23am

Cycling in the states is definitely on the uptick.  There were news reports months ago that it was impossible to get a new bike and refurbished bikes were becoming rarer than hen's teeth.  I still see more cars on the road here, but the sight of someone cycling around town has increased tremendously.

But then... I read about car loan defaults being at unprecedented rates since the middle of 2017...

cobber View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2020 at 5:05am

I ride everywhere on a fixie with a front brake. I keep it simple.

I'm fit by just getting about.

Just watch out for idiot drivers. There's a few psychos out there. I ride mainly on the back streets.

BeachMama View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeachMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 8:49am

Oh, I’m so envious of people who can bike everywhere for their errands! I live in an area of the Southwestern United States that has temperatures in the 100s from April-September (October this year).  I can still bike a little early in the morning, but can’t handle it once it gets too hot.  

carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 3:15pm

Originally posted by BeachMama BeachMama wrote:

Oh, I’m so envious of people who can bike everywhere for their errands! I live in an area of the Southwestern United States that has temperatures in the 100s from April-September (October this year).  I can still bike a little early in the morning, but can’t handle it once it gets too hot.  

I know what you mean,

Have you thought about an e_bike, you have some really good ones over there,i tried to buy one from the US but the company doesn't ship here,

Did have one for a few years,was great fun, got stolen though,ive been waiting for new technologies before I get another.

As I say you got some good ones over there....

Well worth a look....

Keep safe all

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.🖖

Marcus Aurelius
Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 4:14pm

When young I cycled everywhere.  I had a touring bike*, no longer made, that I loved.  I used to overtake motor vehicles!

While I was waiting for a hip replacement the tendons in my leg shortened through disuse.  Now I can't ride a bike anymore, I literally can't raise my leg enough to turn the pedals.   The tendons are stretching a bit, but at this rate, I may be able to ride again when I'm in my mid 100s.  

I am so jealous!

* Like a racing bike, but a bit more comfortable; wider saddle, drop handlebars - but padded ones, duralier gears.  

How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
EdwinSm, View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdwinSm, Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2020 at 12:10am

I too want to echo what Carbon wrote....look into getting an e-bike.  It can give you some exercise, get you out into the great out-of-doors, and take a lot of the strain in the heat of the day, and can be recharged for free if you have solar panels.

Off that topic, last night's TV news had a section on a programme that teaches immigrants to ride bikes, it included a clip of one woman's first ride   This is a good way to help integrate people, and it is especially helpful for the ladies giving them more freedom to move around.

Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutch Josh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2020 at 12:35am
We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.
~Albert Einstein
cobber View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2020 at 6:29am

I ride in any weather apart from pouring rain. Even on a rainy day i wait for a spell in the weather and use mudguards.

Below freezing is okay. Just dress appropriately. Anything over 40c is sweaty.

Advice. In the cold, layer up and strip off as you go and don't get sweaty. This is a huge tip. 

Get out there.  Your almost never too old

My dad is 76, he has parkinsons and still rides

BeachMama View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeachMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2020 at 1:21pm

LOL, solar charging that E-bike would not be a problem around here! Maybe they come with little fans... 

carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2020 at 1:35pm

Originally posted by BeachMama BeachMama wrote:

LOL, solar charging that E-bike would not be a problem around here! Maybe they come with little fans... 

Anything  is possible.....lol

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.🖖

Marcus Aurelius
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2020 at 1:39pm

When it's 45c you need aircon.....

Whenever we get overseas visitors  I get them to put their hands out of car window when it's 40c+ ,hot hot wind......amazing 

Marcus Aurelius
cobber View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2020 at 8:44pm

People from colder climates just don't understand the difficulty dealing with the heat.

We had 46 degrees last year. My car showed 50 degrees. It was that hot that the bitumen melted.

Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutch Josh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2020 at 2:18am
~Albert Einstein
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2020 at 4:08am

I would get back on a bike, but I've had too many cycling related injuries of late (two fully separated shoulders, concussions, a patch on my left arm that never tans after being scraped almost to the bone quite a few times, and a neck injury that still keeps me awake after twenty years). Between potholes and inconsiderate drivers crowding me and opening car doors without looking, it's just too dangerous. Too many trips to the ER with my bike next to me in the ambulance.

I've done cycle touring, time trials, and once did Lands End to John O'Groats in twelve days. Here in the US, I used to commute to work 18 miles each way, but I haven't been on a bike in a couple of years. It doesn't help that we're experiencing a crazy crime spree in San Diego right now that's seeing multiple high end bikes being stolen every day - in some cases from second and third story balconies, cars and garages.

"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2020 at 6:44am

There's a huge number of bicycle thefts here in NYC too.  

jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2020 at 8:16am

I'm on a Facebook page for stolen bikes in San Diego, and someone posted about the rise in thefts in NYC. The problem here is that law enforcement have made it clear that it's not a priority, and the people that are stealing them have realized that. Consequently, there are sidewalk chop shops operating all over town in full view with no fear of consequences. This picture was taken a few days ago by a member on the side of the road, and the guy in gray saw him and gave chase.

"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2020 at 8:28am

It's the same situation here with law enforcement. Even the Citi cycles are being jacked and stolen.  I've read reports in the neighborhood that garages and sheds are being broken into and bikes stolen.  Neighbors of mine have taken to carrying theirs' and the kids bikes indoors when not in use.  

jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2020 at 8:34am

Garages are being targeted here too. Car windows are being smashed as well. Whoever is doing it has skills and can get past any lock. The only safe place for your bike is inside the house. A lot of people are finding that the bikes they left up on second and third story balconies have gone, and they now have a ladder instead. It happened last week a block from here, and again a  few days later. My son's bike was taken from our balcony outside the bedroom window during the lockdown, and we had a u-lock, and a thick cable with a good padlock.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic