Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

Vaccine possibilities

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morpheuskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vaccine possibilities
    Posted: October 22 2020 at 9:37am

While I am sure this topic has been discussed many times over the months, since we were warned of this virus, I would like to venture an opinion, that may worry some, terrify others, but perhaps, start a productive discussion.

Firstly...I am no expert. I know very little about medicine, but, having been around since 1953, I've seen a few things.

The pursuit of a vaccine for Covid 19, has, by the sound of things, been a bit like an endurance race (maybe like Le Mans 24hrs, but much longer).

Quite a few being tested, some in stage three trials, but nothing of any note until next year, and no ideas of how long, once having been vaccinated, anyone will be immune, and whether immunity will cover all 200+ varieties of the virus. Billions of £, $, Yen, etc etc spent, and still being spent, by governments around the world, in this search for the magic bullet, should it even be out there.

Personally, I have my doubts, that a vaccine will be found. Numerous treatments, Yes, but no vaccine. They have been searching for a vaccine for SARS for 18.5 years, and no sign of it. Similar for SERS. They have been looking for a vaccine for the COMMON COLD for the best part of 200 years, yet it still happens, and regularly. All those above viruses are Coronaviruses, and no vaccines anywhere. Maybe never.

Does anyone out there really believe we'll get there, or will we have to wait and hope that the virus dissipates over time into something like the common cold?

Morpheus
WitchMisspelled View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2020 at 10:41am

Welcome to the forum Morpheuskers.  

My opinion is that there are many successful vaccines against virus.  I believe we will get a vaccine.  That being said, I'm doubtful we'll have a highly effective vaccine for another three to five years.  But we will have a vaccine in the next year or so.  The question is, will those first vaccines only inoculate 30% to 50% of the population. 

carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2020 at 2:34pm

Hi Morpheuskers hello and  welcome,

Best case scenario.......in my opinion 

I think we will get a vaccine eventually  however.... 

I think we will have to have one every year  as Covid  changes/evolves....aka the flu shot........

Worse  case we won't and our lives are changed forever.....

Take care and stay safe all   

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.πŸ––

Marcus Aurelius
morpheuskrs View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morpheuskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2020 at 2:56pm

Thank you for the two replie so far.

I think that the best case scenario, is a vaccine that requires two, three or four jabs a year. The cost would be prohibitive, considering there are about eight billion of us, and GROWING. Worst case is unthinkable at this time. No vaccine that works, and the virus turns on the young.

Consider this (as REM might say). To the world's population, the virus is public enemy number one. To the virus...we are it's best friend. We provide it a home, a place to feed, and an environment to procreate... (perfection) It is after all, a LIFEFORM. It has DNA, RNA, and above all two instincts...'Survival' and the need to 'Breed'. We give it all it needs in abundance, and the world's population has still gone up by about 150,000,000 since January 2020.

It could be, that in the long run, with this virus, WE are our own worst enemy.

Morpheus
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2020 at 2:59pm

Just reading this......

The Guardian: If you're pinning your hopes on a Covid vaccine, here's a dose of realism.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/oct/21/covid-vaccine-immunisation-protection

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.πŸ––

Marcus Aurelius
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2020 at 3:01pm

Originally posted by morpheuskrs morpheuskrs wrote:

Thank you for the two replie so far.

I think that the best case scenario, is a vaccine that requires two, three or four jabs a year. The cost would be prohibitive, considering there are about eight billion of us, and GROWING. Worst case is unthinkable at this time. No vaccine that works, and the virus turns on the young.

Consider this (as REM might say). To the world's population, the virus is public enemy number one. To the virus...we are it's best friend. We provide it a home, a place to feed, and an environment to procreate... (perfection) It is after all, a LIFEFORM. It has DNA, RNA, and above all two instincts...'Survival' and the need to 'Breed'. We give it all it needs in abundance, and the world's population has still gone up by about 150,000,000 since January 2020.

It could be, that in the long run, with this virus, WE are our own worst enemy.

You must have gone to the same school as me, agree entirely.....

Marcus Aurelius
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morpheuskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2020 at 3:10pm

Thank you again, I just hope I live long enough to tap elbows with you one day.

Just read the article. I hate percentages and statistics, because they are worse than damn lies, as politicians used to say.

Viruses DO NOT EVER work to statistics. Sorry to shout. They go about their business, using their own agenda. They do not seek to kill their host, because they die too. Their ideal world, is a host that lets them feed and breed, and lives a full life. We on the other hand, just want to destroy it.

Morpheus
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2020 at 3:16pm

Yep......that's all they want to do ......like every other life form on this planet.....

When's the planet going to kill off it's virus....???? lol

Stay safe all.....

Marcus Aurelius
Dutch Josh View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutch Josh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2020 at 9:20pm

I want to give you my opinion, M. Peak Prosperity/Chris Martenson had a female virologist from I believe Washington State in his show several months ago. When she wanted to study corona-virusses it was hardly possible-till SARS(1) showed up in 2003. 

There was not a lot of interest in corona-virusses. Maybe such virusses were an even bigger problem in (other) animals than in humans..

Point is-as far as I can see-there was no real push to find a vaccine against corona-virusses. SARS1 and MERS were supposed to be incidents, colds are treatable...

My impression is vaccines maybe can be made. Can become a major factor in 2021...Russia and China may be far-in an unorthodox way. I think the urgency to get this virus under control is a good excuse...

We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.
~Albert Einstein
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morpheuskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2020 at 12:19am

Bringing Einstein in...I like that. It's such a shame the same intelligentia are not available now. In the UK we have a chap called 'Witty', who seems to be little more than a civil servant who knows a bit about medicine, or at least, has advisors that do. I'm not sure how other countries in Europe have handled this pandemic, but the UK government have always seemed to be behind the curve. Reactive rather than Proactive.

For instance. On channel 4 News in the UK, there was an interview in late January, with a epidemiologist, with 20 years study of viruses around the world, both past and present. He stated, live on the television, "This is the first one that scares me". Later adding, "This virus could be around in Perpetuity". Never seen him since.

If he is right, then long term, the economies of the entire world are in serious trouble. It makes you wonder what any government will do, when the twenty-fifth wave of this virus hits.

Morpheus
KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2020 at 3:22pm

A few things concern me about a possible vaccine:

1. That it's efficacy might be short lived and so regular boosters will be required. It's the logistics of giving these boosters that concerns me. A whole new industry would have to be created to facilitate this, with special locations and staff, removed from our normal health care facilities. At least this would provide jobs. But I am worried about the ingredients in cheap vaccines and I'm not sure I'd sign up for them. The most time consuming part of it would be the paperwork and establishing the identity of the recipient. If we do end up in a world where we're all getting a booster every 4 to 6 months, then I think we'll find ourselves being asked to have a microchip implanted so we can just be scanned to get our details. The actual jab takes seconds, it's the paperwork that takes minutes and would therefore add to the cost. I personally wouldn't have an implant.

2. I am concerned that the rushed vaccine may well prove to be detrimental to our health. The vaccine created for Dengue fever was found to increase the risk of a severe bout of the fever when given to people who had never had the fever before, and in trials a number of people died after receiving the vaccine. I seem to remember reading about a vaccine for Sars classic that was abandoned for similiar reasons. Vaccines take time to develop and we're looking at rushed works and safety cuts in my opinion.

3. The reports are starting to come in of people having a second bout of Covid, and we've yet to see if the second or third or fourth bout will prove worse than the first. Maybe this thing will just keep coming back and will thin out the herd. Maybe we're looking at something we'll have to live with and each year it will kill off the sick, elderly, generally unhealthy amongst us. That alone should prove to be a good motivating factor to us all making more effort to be fit and healthy. 

The last thing that's been at the back of my mind since the outbreak started is that I kind of like the idea of Mother Nature seeking revenge on us. I like the thought that she's coming after us and is determined to thin out and take back control. I see all the terrible things people are doing to animals, to each other and to the planet and I personally think it would be no bad thing if we faced an extinction level event. We're treating this planet like an all you can eat buffet and between courses we're nipping round the back and shitting in the car park before going back in to consume all we can, and to hell with the consequences. We are so far removed from nature now that we've lost sight of it. I hope Mother Nature keeps up her attack on us and think it would be no bad thing if she brought out some big guns like H7N9 or H5N1.

Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic