Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 80% of COVID-19 Patients Were Vitamin D Deficient
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

80% of COVID-19 Patients Were Vitamin D Deficient

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 80% of COVID-19 Patients Were Vitamin D Deficient
    Posted: October 28 2020 at 7:22am
  • https://www.healthline.com/health-news/new-study-found-80-percent-of-covid-19-patients-were-vitamin-d-deficient
  • A new study that looked at 216 people with COVID-19 found that 80 percent didn’t have adequate levels of vitamin D in their blood.
  • The study also found that people who had both COVID-19 and lower vitamin D levels also had a higher number of inflammatory markers such as ferritin and D-dimer, which have been linked to poor COVID-19 outcomes.
  • A different study found that COVID-19 patients who had adequate vitamin D levels had a 51.5 percent lower risk of dying from the disease and a significant reduced risk for complications.
  • Medical experts theorize that maintaining adequate vitamin D levels may help lower risk or aid recovery from severe COVID-19 for some people, though more testing is needed.
WitchMisspelled View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2020 at 9:22am

Raising Vitamin D levels is certainly an easy fix.  However, I'd like to see a bigger study done.  

carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2020 at 4:29pm

Vitamin D deficiency is a big problem even down here where we told to stay out of the sun,

I make sure I get 10 mins or so in the early morning ,and take a pill.....

Deficiency is also a huge problem in the darker skinned people living in northern countries,

Hence the bigger number of hospital admissions in that demograph,

That my opinion.......

Coz its not rocket science Just common sense........

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.🖖

Marcus Aurelius
Hazelpad View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hazelpad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2020 at 4:59pm

......Some immune responses can  rapidly deplete vitamin D, so chicken and egg.  What came first.  

Did low Vitamin D levels lead to severe infection, 

or 

did severe infection leading to low vitamin D levels as it was used up by immune system. 

Here in Scotland they have started sending vitamin D  tablets out to those that were originally on the shielding list.  So they are covering this base.  I myself decided to take 2000iu since the start of this pandemic, with zinc.  Dont know if it will do any good but sometimes you have to feel like you are doing something.  

Many researchers been trying to get trial organised for months.

Hz x

Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2020 at 2:32am

I'm a bit of a health food nut and herbalist.

Imune response requires: C, D, Zinc and an overall healthy body.  Most modern people are OK for vitamin C in their diets.  Zinc deficiency is more common and D defficiency is VERY common.  I would recommend taking all 3.  I used to think you just needed the minimum D, but from what Hazelpad just said, that might not be enough.

The gap between the amount needed, under ordinary circumstances and the maximum safe dose is huge*.  So I now think the higher amounts Hazlepad is taking might be the best approach.

I'm going to follow suit.

I've said this before, but here goes again:

Fighting an infection is like a microscopic war.  Your body is the country being fought over.  The pathogen is the invaders and your body's immune system the defenders.   A body has an array of defences.  Landmines, grenades and boobytraps (antibodies) , soldiers (leucocytes) officers (T cells) and 'Command & Control' posts (bone marrow and lymph nodes).  (I would love it, if Hazlepad were to expand on that explanation and fine-tune it a bit.)

Vitamin C gives guns to the soldiers.

Zinc puts bullets in the guns.

Vitamin D provides battlefield communications.  Without it, your army does not know who to fight.  It may even indulge in friendly fire. 

*15mcg (750iu) -  200mcg (10,000iu)

- officially the max is (4,000iu), but 10,000iu taken over time can produce overdose symptoms.

How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2020 at 7:35am

Not to be a downer, Carbon, but as we age we produce less Vitamin D and it becomes chronic in older/elderly.  So don't be insulted when I tell you to take a pill. A Vitamin D3 pill, that is!

Hazelpad View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hazelpad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2020 at 8:03am

Yep old age is associated with lowering Vitamin D. So is cardiovascular disease, diabetes and thyroid issues.  Also people with dark skin tones don't  absorb  from sun, all high risk groups.

I live in a damp climate with little sun.  I take 1000iu/day in summer and raise it to 2000iu/ day during late autumn through winter. ( note this is international units not mcg).  I do this because I get deficient very easily.    Last time I was deficient  (Level of 14) I was prescribed 10,000iu/day for 6 weeks followed by maintenance doses of  1000iu. Which is what our NHS recommend.  I was  told  raising it to 2000iu in winter is fine, and some weeks I alternate it one week 1000/day next  week 2000/day.  I try to use NHS grade as their manufacturers pills content are regularly checked and quality controlled.  The list of their approved pills are in the BNF for anyone in the UK.  

Scotland is the MS capital of the world and they are thinking it may be Vitamin D is playing on our genetics. Our  wet rainy climate means most people here in winter are deficient.    I am totally healthy and I go down as low as 11 some years before I started supplementing and have been stable since.  Think Twilight and Forks, we are worse than that, Edward Cullen would have done very well here.

Hz x

carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2020 at 4:15pm

Thing is I'm getting younger everyday.....lol

Aging is Just fake news lol

I met a 100 year old lady last week she was AMAZING

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.🖖

Marcus Aurelius
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2020 at 6:05pm

Does your wife know?

carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2020 at 9:40pm

Originally posted by WitchMisspelled WitchMisspelled wrote:

Does your wife know?

Business witchy....business.....lol

Marcus Aurelius
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic