Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Pfizer’s Covid Vaccine Prevents 90% of Infection
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

Pfizer’s Covid Vaccine Prevents 90% of Infection

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pfizer’s Covid Vaccine Prevents 90% of Infection
    Posted: November 09 2020 at 4:54am

(Bloomberg) -- The Covid-19 vaccine being developed by Pfizer Inc. and BioNTech SE prevented more than 90% of infections in a study of tens of thousands of volunteers, the most encouraging scientific advance so far in the battle against the coronavirus.

Eight months into the worst pandemic in a century, the preliminary results pave the way for the companies to seek an emergency-use authorization from regulators if further research shows the shot is also safe.

Pfizer shares extended gains in premarket trading, rising about 15%, with BioNTech American depositary receipts up about 22%. The news added more than $500 billion to the value of the MSCI All Country World Index.

Encouraging Vaccine Results Could Mean There’s a Tool to Control Virus

The findings are based on an interim analysis conducted after 94 participants, split between those who got a placebo and those who were vaccinated, contracted Covid-19. The trial will continue until 164 cases have occurred. If the data hold up and a key safety readout Pfizer expects in about a week also looks good, it could mean that the world has a vital new tool to control a pandemic that has killed more than 1.2 million people worldwide.

“This is about the best the news could possibly be for the world and for the United States and for public health,” said William Gruber, Pfizer senior vice president for vaccine clinical research and development. It was better than even the best result he had hoped for, he said.

With effectiveness for the first vaccines previously expected to be in the range of 60% to 70%, “more than 90% is extraordinary,” BioNTech Chief Executive Officer Ugur Sahin said.

‘Victory of Science’

“It shows that Covid-19 can be controlled,” Sahin said in an interview. “At the end of the day, it’s really a victory of science.”

The data do have limits. For now, few details on the vaccine’s efficacy are available. It isn’t known how well the shot works in key subgroups, such as the elderly. Those analyses haven’t been conducted. And it isn’t known whether the vaccine prevents severe disease, as none of the participants who got Covid-19 in this round of analysis had severe cases, Gruber said.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/pfizer-covid-vaccine-prevents-90-115246689.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=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&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAACnq-xdD-K5SHElWUPLu5iGUe1ZwCDdnu2vIXH6dZeqMevqQr6V5UfPkiOf4vZoOKlfnui9_0HMZSMLlRYjNMi_rYqdaqBc9NxPCsWYkJdArGerxSgmVtdovkX-em1N9NiAQhmWAABnLDgEOz4HgTDKCH79RpYYRfZgH6Y3Zqmdd

WitchMisspelled View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2020 at 6:30am

Love the disclaimer at the end that "The date do have limits."

However even if that rate reaches 70% or better it's the best news in weeks.  

ksc View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2020 at 6:52am

All data has limits. So far there have only been 94 positive cases in the study.

The so-called interim analysis looked at the first 94 confirmed cases of Covid-19 among the more than 43,000 volunteers who got either two doses of the vaccine or a placebo. It found that fewer than 10% of infections were in participants who had been given the vaccine. More than 90% of the cases were in people who had been given a placebo.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/09/health/pfizer-covid-19-vaccine-effective/index.html

roni3470 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote roni3470 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2020 at 6:59am

I want this to be true so bad but I am sorry, it was rushed and they want to make money and I do NOT trust it.

NOW is the Season to Know

that Everything you Do

is Sacred
EdwinSm, View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote EdwinSm, Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2020 at 7:43am

It will take about a month before the protection is fully active, but it is still good news.

Originally posted by "BBC" "BBC" wrote:

Two doses, three weeks apart, are needed. The trials - in US, Germany, Brazil, Argentina, South Africa and Turkey - show 90% protection is achieved seven days after the second dose.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-54873105

I will be in no rush to get it, but if I was working in a hospital with its high risks then I would be lining up for the two shots.

Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2020 at 8:00am

Alright then... that is EXCELLENT news.

Newbie1A View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newbie1A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2020 at 9:35am

you all can feel free to stand in line for it, I'm not!  

Way WAY too much contradictory "science" and numbers just not there... I'm out, rarely on here (forum) anymore as just as easy to watch anything MSM and get same speil... there is so much more to this whole situation then this virus - so I'll spend my time reading/educating self where there are views from various sides being presented...

will continue to pop on once in while for AI news but really not that concerned about C19 - who was it who called it a Powder Puff from the start?  You were right!

If it's to be - it's up to me!
roni3470 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roni3470 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2020 at 9:57am

They said on the news this am that only 60% of doctors would take it and it was even lower for nurses.  I will wait till the second or third round once we can verify no side affects and if its really working!

that Everything you Do

is Sacred
Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2020 at 10:03am

Second round for me.

I expect any serious problems to show up before then and am old enough to have more risks from the virus itself than the vaccine.  I still do not want to be in the first queue.  

The logical thing is for the oldest of us to go first;  less likely to suffer long-term complications and more likely to die from the virus itself.

How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2020 at 2:35pm
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.🖖

Marcus Aurelius
roni3470 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roni3470 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2020 at 8:07pm

Yikes, I hadn't heard that!  Well there goes the hope anyway of having it available in a timely manner!!

that Everything you Do

is Sacred
EdwinSm, View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdwinSm, Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2020 at 11:53pm

From the link above

Quote “The cold chain is going to be one of the most challenging aspects of delivery of this vaccination,” said Amesh Adalja, senior scholar at Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security.

“This will be a challenge in all settings because hospitals even in big cities do not have storage facilities for a vaccine at that ultra-low temperature.”

Indeed, one of the most prestigious U.S. hospitals, the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota, said it does not currently have that capability.

“We’re talking about a vaccine that needs storage at minus 70 or 80. That’s a tremendous logistical issue not only in the U.S. but outside the Western world,” said Dr Gregory Poland, a virologist and vaccine researcher with the Mayo Clinic.

This important fact was missing from most of the news items.. Was this a classic case of releasing only the good parts of the news (and 90% protection IS good news) to pump up the share prices?

carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2020 at 2:37am

Share prices.....

How dare you..... 

LMAO.......

Just said the same thing to my mother,......

Said I'd rely more on a mask for now.....

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.🖖

Marcus Aurelius
ksc View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2020 at 3:35am

Buy stock in dry ice companies....

Shortage Of Dry Ice Could Chill Coronavirus Vaccine Distribution

https://www.wbur.org/commonhealth/2020/09/04/covid-vaccine-dry-ice-shortage

EdwinSm, View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdwinSm, Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2020 at 7:22am

About the super cold.  I read somewhere that it will keep at the super cold temperatures for a long time, but if kept just below freezing point then the vaccine will last 5 days, but will rapidly spoil if kept in a normal fridge.   This sounds like it will be logistically hard to manage, but not as bad as I first thought when I heard it needed -70C.

For the third world we need a vaccine stable at room temperature.  

Disclaimer: there was a Pfizer research area near the school I attended, and one of the prize I got a school (small value book token) was funded by them.  So I must not say anything bad about them  

AI View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2020 at 9:04am

10 years is the average time it takes to develop and test a vaccine before it is approved for production. So in less than a year this vaccine is "ready" and the time frame to develop and test is cut down by 92%. What could possibly go wrong with that? All you have to do is get in line and get a shot and then pray that no long term side effects arise. There is a reason all these vaccine developers have broad legal indemnity against lawsuits arising from side effects/ death as a result of their vaccines. 

“Facts don't care about your feelings.”
― Ben Shapiro
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2020 at 1:42pm

Contrary to the accepted line, vaccines all carry risks.  Usually these are very minor however.  Yet you are quite right AI, this is a REAL rush job.

The vaccine avoidance movement is often based on an inability to calculate risk ratios, as usually the risk from vaccines is a tiny proportion of the risk from the diseases they prevent.  For instance, As far as I am aware, there was one death here from the flu vaccine in the last 10 years and the flu kills an average of 300 UK citizens every year. (1: 3000 risk ratio - or less; as not as many get the flu, as get the jab.)

The ratio for this vaccine could be higher and if it was, we might not have noticed yet.  As you say AI, it was a rush job.  By the same token, the covid bug has killed just under 50,000 over here and it has only been here for half a year.  So I'm defintely getting one!  But as it is new and I only just entered my 60s, I will not be in the first round of jabs.  I will be relying on isolation for a bit longer, watching to see what happens.  The risk:reward ratio looks worthwhile, but isolation is doing me no harm and I see no one to spread it among them.  

Necessary risks, yes; unnecessary ones, no!

carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2020 at 4:43pm

Pfizer's COVID-19 vaccine is promising, but many …: https://youtu.be/pDh7J01kHgE

Marcus Aurelius
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2020 at 3:50am

Marcus Aurelius
ksc View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2020 at 5:00am

An update

Pfizer and BioNTech say final analysis shows coronavirus vaccine is 95% effective with no safety concerns

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/18/health/pfizer-coronavirus-vaccine-safety/index.html

Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2020 at 5:19am

According to our news [BBC news 24] it is 95% effective even in the over 65s.  Truly Great news!

EdwinSm, View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdwinSm, Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2020 at 7:18am

At least I will be over 65 by the time the vaccine is available  

carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2020 at 1:23pm

What is the average age of folks on here....?

Marcus Aurelius
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2020 at 2:27pm

Carbon!  You never ask a lady her age.

Good job I'm very unladylike!  I'm 60, Hubby is 76.   

carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2020 at 3:13pm

I'm a grumpy old man of 63.....

Lol

Just coming up to 40th wedding anniversary.......

Take care all  😷😉

Marcus Aurelius
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2020 at 4:35pm

Technophobe and I are the same age.  

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic