Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

1in 5 suffer mental health issues with covid

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1in 5 suffer mental health issues with covid
    Posted: November 10 2020 at 2:09pm
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.🖖

Marcus Aurelius
Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2020 at 3:29pm

........  'And a load develop them from being locked in to avoid it.

.................................................................................................................................................  That really is a no-win situation.

How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2020 at 3:50pm

It will be OK as long as they don't start eating people......

Zombie Apocalypse......lol

Sorry shouldn't be flippant.....

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.🖖

Marcus Aurelius
AI View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2020 at 6:20pm

"The study also found that people with a pre-existing mental illness were 65% more likely to be diagnosed with COVID-19 than those without."

Interesting.

“Facts don't care about your feelings.”
― Ben Shapiro
EdwinSm, View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdwinSm, Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2020 at 11:33pm

While the effects of covid (including indirect ones related to isolation) can lead to mental problems, it is also the case that when mental problems affect decision making;  in which case poor decisions (like inability to see the need for social distancing*) can lead to more infections.   This is a nasty spiral.

* In this case I am thinking of people with diagnosed problems affecting the frontal lobes (including accidents, or heading too many footballs, or too many blows to the head in boxing etc).  This is not to imply that all those, who for political ideology, oppose NPI (like wearing masks or keeping social distance) have mental health issues.  

carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2020 at 1:45am

Could the meds given to people give them a false sense of security,

I say this as I know someone who is on anti anxiety meds, they don't think there's a problem ,and refuse to wear a mask......?

Marcus Aurelius
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2020 at 5:15am

Originally posted by AI AI wrote:

"The study also found that people with a pre-existing mental illness were 65% more likely to be diagnosed with COVID-19 than those without."

Interesting.

That is more than interesting; that is FASCINATING!! 

I wonder why.  It could be medications, a correlation between mental and physical illness*, the greater ease of finding cases when the sufferers are regularily visiting a doctor, contagion in institutions, or a combination of all of those, or even something I have not thought of.

Please could you publish links to that study?   I would love to read it.  Thanks!

*For instance I know schizophrenia has a chemical component and long term pain can lead to depression.

ksc View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ksc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2020 at 5:19am

interesting....

"One in five American adults has a mental illness, according to the National Institute of Mental Health ".

https://www.upi.com/Health_News/2020/09/30/Study-Adults-with-mental-illness-up-to-twice-as-likely-to-die-from-COVID-19/3731601471455/

ViQueen24 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote ViQueen24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2020 at 8:21am

Here you go, Techno:

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanpsy/article/PIIS2215-0366(20)30462-4/fulltext

In answer to your question, I think cortisol is part of the equation here.  Cortisol is a hormone produced by the body in response to stress.  It's the fight or flight hormone.  If a person is exposed to chronic stress, such as combat or abuse, the cortisol could remain consistently elevated, which can lead to diabetes, heart disease, diminished immune system response, and damage to the hippocampus of the brain, which governs memory.  Long-term elevated cortisol is also linked to anxiety and depression causally.  And cortisol is released during illness, especially viral illnesses.  So you can see that people with high cortisol would be more likely to contract Covid, and then people who have Covid would have elevated cortisol.  Long-haulers could develop chronically high cortisol, which would then make them more prone to the conditions mentioned above.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cortisol#:~:text=Cortisol%20can%20weaken%20the%20activity%20of%20the%20immune,Cortisol%20also%20has%20a%20negative-feedback%20effect%20on%20interleukin-1.

Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2020 at 9:34am

Thank you VQ!  much appreciated!

Thank you ksc too.

To add to that lot, I found this:  https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-mental-illness-idUSKBN27P34L (Carbon's original post) - Thanks Carbon too.

It is looking as if all the above reasons are involved to some degree or other.  Covid even increases the risks of developing dementia.  What an sneakily nasty little disease this is!  

AI View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2020 at 9:37am

Originally posted by Technophobe Technophobe wrote:

Originally posted by AI AI wrote:

Interesting.

That is more than interesting; that is FASCINATING!! 

I wonder why.  It could be medications, a correlation between mental and physical illness*, the greater ease of finding cases when the sufferers are regularily visiting a doctor, contagion in institutions, or a combination of all of those, or even something I have not thought of.

Please could you publish links to that study?   I would love to read it.  Thanks!

*For instance I know schizophrenia has a chemical component and long term pain can lead to depression.

It was referenced in the article cited by Carbon in the OP.

“Facts don't care about your feelings.”
― Ben Shapiro
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2020 at 9:44am

Thanks again, AI!

ViQueen24 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ViQueen24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2020 at 1:17pm

High cortisol is unfortunately associated with dementia as well:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/17151169/

Usk View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Usk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2020 at 6:03pm

I don’t know where I saw it but a research noticed that the number of COVID patients with dementia died at a much higher rate. Already weakened blood brain barrier?

JellyMama View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JellyMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2020 at 9:47pm

Were the rates higher because nursing homes are full with Alzheimer’s patients or did they do a study on patients outside of nursing homes?

EdwinSm, View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdwinSm, Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2020 at 12:08am

Good question JellyMama!  (I don't know the answer)

Originally posted by "BBC" "BBC" wrote:

People with learning disabilities were up to six times more likely to die from Covid-19 during the first wave of the pandemic, analysis shows.

A report from Public Health England (PHE) found the death rate for those with a learning disability was 30 times higher in the 18-34 age group.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-54924121

Again this points to "residential care" as a weak point, as all the resources (PPE etc) were being poured into hospitals but not care homes, and infected people sent to the homes to free up hospital beds.  

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic