Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

Staff positive where I live....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tabitha111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Staff positive where I live....
    Posted: November 13 2020 at 3:27am

So two of he staff here (they are the ones who man the front desk in the lobby, bring us our packages, deliver food and drinks to us...etc etc) Have tested positive.

The whole community is in a tizzy.

I live in an independent senior living community that consists of apartments much like a New York building would with a manned lobby and we have the rows of mailboxes you see in places like that.

I still see many, many folks without masks here and yesterday when this was announced a gathering of women at the end of my hall clucking about withOUT masks...seriously folks????

All I can do is avoid them, wear my mask with filters, stay inside most of the time, I have an air purifier in here and also I crack the windows for fresh air too. 

'A man who does not think and plan long ahead will find trouble right at his door.'
--Confucius

Tabitha111 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tabitha111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2020 at 3:29am

Wanted to add that one of the staff who tested positive was always and I mean EVERYTIME I saw her...wearing her mask on her chin, complete face exposed....It unnerved me to no end.

How do we even know where she got it...could even be from a resident in the bldg...we have no restrictions on coming and going or who visits us...

'A man who does not think and plan long ahead will find trouble right at his door.'
--Confucius

Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2020 at 3:36am

How terrifying!

It sounds as if you are doing everything right Tabitha, but I would be carefull about the open window; this bug does travel.  Ventilation yes, but that is to protect you from those you share a room with.  An open window could let in the viral particles from your neighbours.  I don't know what to suggest.

Be safe!

How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tabitha111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2020 at 3:43am

Had not thought of that!

Thanks for that advice. I wear my mask the minute I even stick my head out my door. Doesn't matter if its for a second or two. I just do not feel safe without it on except in my car and apartment.

I also take the stairs and never the elevator.

I imagine folks that live in any apartment building are at risk due to all the shared spaces (hallways, lobby, elevator, laundry room- although they have a limit now of one person only in the laundry room and you must reserve your time slot, I reserve it at 6 am in the morning when everyone else is asleep)

--Confucius

EdwinSm, View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote EdwinSm, Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2020 at 7:33am

Well taking the stairs will help keep your lungs working, and keep you fit, both useful things if you ever have to fight off this disease.

Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2020 at 11:03am

I have often likened the progress of an infection to a war.  The number of troops sent 'over the top' at any one time makes a huge difference.  On this subject, mask wearing does not prevent infection for the wearer, but it does massively limit the number of viral particles encountered.  So the defence forces have time to get their act together and disease outcomes are greatly improved.  

A fine mesh, several layers thick* taped up all around the edges, over an open window could serve the same purpose.  It would need to go up with velcro or hook and loop tape so it could be washed.  That way you could still have your fresh air.

Keep up your vitamin D levels too.  

*The most effective masks are 3 layers thick, each layer placed with its weave in a different direction   / / / / / / / / / \\\\\\\\\ IIIIIIIII  

How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
Little House View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Little House Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2020 at 4:38am

Tabitha, 

I am guessing that you are on the second floor (or higher), and don’t have people walking right by your window.  If there are not tons of people gathering right below your window, I would not worry about opening it.  I would guess that the air coming in from outside is better than what is in your apartment.  The air inside circulates throughout the building and I would worry a lot more about that than I would worry about contaminated outside air.  If someone outside sneezes, it spreads out and would be so dilute by the time it got to your window that it would be undetectable.  (Unless, of course, there are dozens of people hanging out right outside your window.)

On the other hand, it is getting colder in much of the country.  So if you are in an area where having an open window would make your apartment uncomfortable, leave the window closed.

AndyP View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2020 at 1:57pm

My brother is in a 10 floor apartment building in DC. He taped off the air circulation vents to the rest of the building and keeps the window partially open. 

AndyP View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2020 at 2:02pm

I was browsing on the Virginia Department of Health website and they have a link to register long term care facilities for covid vaccination. I wonder if your building knows about it, etc.. 

https://www.vdh.virginia.gov/immunization/covid19vaccine/

AndyP View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2020 at 2:04pm

Looks like this is the registration link

https://airc.cdc.gov/surveys/?s=R3TYTJDAW4

Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tabitha111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2020 at 3:48am

I am on the top most floor -3rd floor. The good thing is we do NOT share a central ac/heat system in this bldg. We each have our own individual units - something I MADE SURE of before I moved in.

So far, so good. But as I have said, there are way too many covidiots walking around without masks...ugh....avoid Will Robinson! Avoid!!

--Confucius

Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tabitha111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2020 at 3:51am

I know they have to register with the health dept in our town. They are very transparent here, unlike another similar place I visited when I made my decision.

--Confucius

Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tabitha111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2020 at 9:19am

Oh great! Another person on staff is positive. Just got the notice. YIKES

If that doesn't enforce masking of all, then what will?

--Confucius

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic