Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Immunity to the Coronavirus May Last Years

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Immunity to the Coronavirus May Last Years
    Posted: November 17 2020 at 11:33am

Immunity to the Coronavirus May Last Years, New Data Hint

Blood samples from recovered patients suggest a powerful, long-lasting immune response, researchers reported.

Eight months after infection, most people who have recovered still have enough immune cells to fend off the virus and prevent illness, the new data show. A slow rate of decline in the short term suggests, happily, that these cells may persist in the body for a very, very long time to come.

The research, published online, has not been peer-reviewed nor published in a scientific journal. But it is the most comprehensive and long-ranging study of immune memory to the coronavirus to date.

“That amount of memory would likely prevent the vast majority of people from getting hospitalized disease, severe disease, for many years,” said Shane Crotty, a virologist at the La Jolla Institute of Immunology who co-led the new study.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/17/health/coronavirus-immunity.html

Newbie1A View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newbie1A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2020 at 5:24am
If it's to be - it's up to me!
WitchMisspelled View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2020 at 2:08pm

In the back of my mind is thinking "Not enough info yet.  We'll see"  The front of my mind is thinking "Woohooo!"

carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2020 at 10:24pm

Back of my mind....

We all get  a common cold and flu...every year.......

Why would covid be any different.....?

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.🖖

Marcus Aurelius
ksc View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ksc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2020 at 2:12am

COVID-19 reinfection unlikely for at least six months, study finds

During the study, 89 of 11,052 staff without antibodies developed a new infection with symptoms, while none of the 1,246 staff with antibodies developed a symptomatic infection.

Staff with antibodies were also less likely to test positive for COVID-19 without symptoms, the researchers said, with 76 without antibodies testing positive, compared to only three with antibodies. Those three were all well and did not develop COVID-19 symptoms, they added.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-reinfection-idUSKBN28015L

Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2020 at 5:34am

Thank you ksc for great info.  

I hope you do not mind, I edited this post to make the text brighter.

Important information should be visible.

How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
ksc View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2020 at 5:49am

Thanks, how'd you do that? I've tried a few times with no success.

I have a couple of relatives involved in an antibody study currently.

My SIL caught it back in March and according to the testing her antibody level was down to single digits last month, so almost gone. I did choose to sit next to her at a small gathering a few weeks ago though, I think we're going to be surprised at how long immunity lasts for most people.

Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2020 at 8:08am

If you have posted it already....    From the top right of the page select "post options" after that "edit post".

Then,

Highlight the text that is dim.  

The sixth option at the top of the page is  A💧  select this.  

Click on an option (the light grey at the end right next to the bin works best).

That's it.

How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
ksc View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2020 at 8:14am

[QUOTE=ksc]

Thanks, how'd you do that? I've tried a few times with no success.

Got it. Thanks

ksc View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2020 at 1:18am

Australia emphasizes on sustained COVID-19 immunity for vaccine effectiveness

24 November 2020 | News

https://www.biospectrumasia.com/news/47/17163/australia-emphasizes-on-sustained-covid-19-immunity-for-vaccine-effectiveness.html

Researchers of Monash University, Australia have recently revealed for the first time that people who have been infected with the COVID-19 virus have sustained protection against reinfection for at least eight months.

The research is the strongest evidence for the likelihood that vaccines against the virus, SARS-CoV-2, will work for long periods.  Previously, many studies have shown that the first wave of antibodies to coronavirus wane after the first few months, raising concerns that people may lose immunity quickly.  This new work allays these concerns.

The study is the result of a multi-center collaboration led by Associate Professor Menno van zelm, from the Monash University Department of Immunology and Pathology, with the Alfred Research Alliance between Monash University, The Alfred hospital and the Burnet Institute, and published recently in the preprint server, MedRxiv. The publication reveals the discovery of a specific cell within the immune system called the memory B cell, which remembers infection by the virus, and if challenged again, through re-exposure to the virus, triggers a protective immune response through rapid production of protective antibodies.

Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2020 at 1:43am

My co-workers grandson is a teenager,  he has had it twice. He had it at in April and he has it again now.  My youngest daughter is 24, she thought she may have had in April but never tested,  she took an anti body test about 3 months ago and tested positive for antibodies. She is just now recovering from covid-19. 

carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2020 at 4:32am

I can not believe in long term immunity from a virus......

The lack of long term immunity in viruses,was what sparked my interest in viruses in high school....

Take care all...😷😉

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.🖖

Marcus Aurelius
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic