Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

Thanksgiving to Christmas to New Year

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdwinSm, Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thanksgiving to Christmas to New Year
    Posted: November 24 2020 at 7:23am

With millions traveling in the States for Thanksgiving (often to large family gatherings) how bad will the covid situation be by Christmas?  [https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-55057878]

I also wonder how bad will early January be from all the different holidays that cluster in December.

ps. our children, being in a different country, will not be able to visit us for Christmas, so it will be just me and the wife. So we will not form a super-spreader group.  

ViQueen24 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ViQueen24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2020 at 8:54am

When I worked at the plaza, we would have a small uptick of colds and flu around the first week of September, and it would stay at that level till after Halloween, where we'd see a larger uptick.  Then between right after Thanksgiving into mid-January, the flu would really surge, because not only would you have the holidays, but you'd also have the Christmas parties, and people running themselves ragged decorating, shopping, baking, and getting ready for all that cooking.  (We were also a stop on the way back from the outlet shops and malls.)  And then maybe another small spike in February, after the height of ski season, and the Presidents Day/Valentine's Day holidays.  I would expect to see a lot of the same patterns here now.

jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2020 at 12:04pm

It’ll be bad. The surge after Thanksgiving will fuel the surge we can reasonably expect after Christmas. With record numbers of travelers heading home for the holidays, it’s clear that a significant number of people are still not taking this seriously.

"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2020 at 1:11pm

Meanwhile.....

Australia ,after heeding the Health professionals,

Seems!!!!??? to be heading to a covid free Christmas.....fingers crossed.......

Take care all stay safe and sound πŸ˜·πŸ˜‰

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.πŸ––

Marcus Aurelius
KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2020 at 12:42pm

On the news here last night they showed a young woman in the US saying that her family hadn't all been together for thanksgiving in 15 years but this year they were all making a special effort. It beggars belief. How stupid are these people??????!!!!!!

Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2020 at 1:07pm

"you can't fix stupid"......

Having said that.....

I can understand the need to be near loved ones when things are not looking  that good....

there is light down that long tunnel.......

Take care all stay safe....πŸ˜·πŸ˜‰

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.πŸ––

Marcus Aurelius
ViQueen24 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ViQueen24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2020 at 9:34am

Pretty stupid, KiwiMum!  Here are the number of positive cases in my county, Allegheny, which encompasses the city of Pittsburgh, second largest city in Pennsylvania:

September 30 -- 43

October 31 -- 174

November 25 -- 555

WitchMisspelled View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2020 at 10:23am

Cuomo is talking an estimate of jumping up to 12% state wide two weeks after Thanksgiving.  Right now we're at 2.74%.  Yesterday's numbers were just under 6300 new infections.  NYC is seeing a jump to 1900 new cases per day and an infection rate of 2.79%.  My immediate area remains is at an uncomfortable 2.87% and rising.  Probably because I'm surrounded by sections that are 3% to 4% and above.  

Maybe it's time to break out the canned butter and powdered milk...

ksc View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2020 at 11:35am

Todays flight map

BeachMama View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeachMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2020 at 7:40pm

Unfortunately, one of those flights was carrying one of my best friends to her hometown for her father’s funeral — her father died of Covid  last night. :(

Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2020 at 1:48am

It's absolutely ridiculous that so many people are traveling and not staying put. I'm just wondering what is going on in these people's thought process? It's not going to happen to me? I just don't care? I'm just going to do whatever the hell I want? I just don't get it.......

carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2020 at 4:34am

Originally posted by Penham Penham wrote:

It's absolutely ridiculous that so many people are traveling and not staying put. I'm just wondering what is going on in these people's thought process? It's not going to happen to me? I just don't care? I'm just going to do whatever the hell I want? I just don't get it.......

Not many sane people do Penham.....

Marcus Aurelius
Tabitha111 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tabitha111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2020 at 7:43am

I believe its the "it happens to other people, I have been lucky so far" and "I am really careful" the last one is what my sister said to justify her automobile trip with hubby from Boston to DC area to see my elderly parents for Thanksgiving......and she works in a medical office!

The fact is: my own parent's are NOT careful, no matter how careful she feels she is. They are Trumpsters who my mom even told me on the phone "I don't think Covid is that bad"....ummmm....you are 87 mom and you think it's not bad???

My sister also used the fact that what if this is my parent's last Thanksgiving? and her dog is getting older so she also said "its going to be the last time they might see the dog" Oh yeah, that was her thinking!!!

Just some insight on what is going on in people's minds perhaps. As for me, I did not go home and some of the family who live nearby my folks just dropped off food and left.

'A man who does not think and plan long ahead will find trouble right at his door.'
--Confucius

ViQueen24 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ViQueen24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2020 at 7:43am

Originally posted by BeachMama BeachMama wrote:

Unfortunately, one of those flights was carrying one of my best friends to her hometown for her father’s funeral — her father died of Covid  last night. :(

So sorry, BeachMama.

EdwinSm, View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdwinSm, Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2020 at 11:00pm

Fauci warns of 'surge in cases' post Thanksgiving

Quote Anywhere from 800,000 to more than one million travellers passed through US airport checkpoints on any day during the past week, according to Transport Security Administration statistics. 

"There is almost certainly going to be an uptick because of what has happened with the travel," Dr Fauci told CNN's State of the Union. 

. . . . 

Dr Deborah Birx, White House coronavirus response coordinator, echoed Dr Fauci's concerns, telling CBS News that people who had travelled for the holiday should avoid seeing relatives over the age of 65. 

"Now we're entering this post-Thanksgiving surge with three, four and 10 times as much disease across the country," she said. "We are deeply worried". 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-55126003

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic