Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

What kind of mask are you wearing?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Little House Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What kind of mask are you wearing?
    Posted: December 13 2020 at 11:47am

After month and months of this pandemic, I have finally come to the place where I broke out the kn95 masks.  I am asking my teens to wear them instead of the cloth ones.  One daughter (the most fashion conscious one) is wearing cute cloth ones over her kn95, but at least she is wearing her kn95.  She doesn’t seem to care that breathing is more difficult.

My state (OH) is way above the national average (per capita) and my zip code is way, way above that.  It is time to pull out all of the stops. Mean mom is now my name.

I am hoping that we will come to a time where we wear masks because we are supposed to and not because we “need” to and then I will let the teens go back to the pretty cloth ones.  I am sure masks will be around for many months yet.

So what are you doing? Are you wearing masks?  Are they required? Cloth or surgical or kn95 or n95?  

AandEM View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandEM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2020 at 1:29pm

I was wearing a new surgical every school day, and that's what I sent my husband and kids to work in as well. They are the most comfortable to teach in all day. I tried the N95, but just couldn't do it. Of course, we're recovering from Covid, so I'm not sure I can speak to effectiveness. 😔  We are blaming my son's internship. All 4 members of the family have had multiple exposures in the last few weeks, just from jobs. We did nothing outside of work, 2/4 of got sick. 

carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2020 at 1:34pm

I'd be  wearing a N95/p2....or full respirator and a face guard.....if I were in the USA at the moment.....

Stuff fashion......

Everyone  looks silly on a ventilator having their arse's washed by a Fantastic healthcare person.......

Say that to your kids.....if they complain....

Lol

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.🖖

Marcus Aurelius
Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2020 at 2:45pm

Only one (absolutely essential) trip out since March.

Oh! 'And we both bloody-well wore FFP3 (=N95) all day - and goggles, and goves!  Oh yes!!

How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
AandEM View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandEM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2020 at 3:13pm

Oh, I certainly agree. I was prepared with the N95, but practically speaking, I couldn't teach in it for 8 hours, I was losing my voice. I honestly don't think I got it at my job. I was extremely careful with keeping distance, which leads to the all day yelling through a mask. 🤷‍♀️

KiminNM View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiminNM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2020 at 9:06am

Still using/re-using my N95 valved masks. (I keep/kept them on hand because of asthma - needed for smoke and pollen)

To protect others (and give myself more protection and extend the life of the N95s) I wear a procedure mask over it and if I am going to be exposed to anyone outside my 4-plex I add a cloth mask and a shield. Just recently added goggles to the mix.

If I'm just stepping outside my apartment and can see that no one is outside I'll occasionally just wear a cloth mask. But I've been caught by surprise a few times by someone walking by so I don't do that often. 

I did buy some KN95s, but they hurt to wear because I have a large head. Still fiddling with a couple of options to make them wearable. 

KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2020 at 12:36pm

Originally posted by KiminNM KiminNM wrote:

I did buy some KN95s, but they hurt to wear because I have a large head. Still fiddling with a couple of options to make them wearable. 

N95s (aka P2s) do come in a variety of sizes. We have a stock of large, medium and small for our family, although we don't have to wear masks here at the moment because there's no covid in NZ. Our entire population was asked to get or make a mask, so we carry them in our bags just in case we need them. They are compulsory if you're travelling on a domestic flight here.

Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
Little House View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Little House Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2020 at 10:41am

One of my teens, the one working full time, won’t wear masks that have elastic that goes over the ears.  She prefers the ones that tie at the back of the head or elastic that goes around the head.  She has some ‘over the ear’ cloth ones that are adjustable.  She takes the extra long e-loops and hooks them at the back of her head with a hair barrette.  

For the KN95 masks, it took two hair barrettes and a hair tie to get it to go around her head, and then she wears yet another barrette in her hair to hold it all up.  The point being that you should keep fiddling. If she could find a way to make it work, so can you.

Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2020 at 2:20pm

I'm wearing some cloth masks that my job gave me. They got them from the Department of Health & Human Services. The packages say they contain silver and copper. You can machine wash up to 15 times then throw away. So far I haven't caught it. I work in a Native American domestic violence shelter full time and I go to the grocery store 1 time a week. 

roni3470 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roni3470 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2020 at 6:53pm

I am wearing any kind of mask that has the slit pocket for you to put a filter in.  That means the mask is already double layered for the two independent layers that allow the filter, then there is a filter.  If you don't buy the pre-made filters, I hear tripling a coffee filter works just as well!

NOW is the Season to Know

that Everything you Do

is Sacred
KiminNM View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiminNM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2020 at 9:55am

Originally posted by Little House Little House wrote:

One of my teens, the one working full time, won’t wear masks that have elastic that goes over the ears.  She prefers the ones that tie at the back of the head or elastic that goes around the head.  She has some ‘over the ear’ cloth ones that are adjustable.  She takes the extra long e-loops and hooks them at the back of her head with a hair barrette.  

For the KN95 masks, it took two hair barrettes and a hair tie to get it to go around her head, and then she wears yet another barrette in her hair to hold it all up.  The point being that you should keep fiddling. If she could find a way to make it work, so can you.

Using a hair barrette is smart!

I bought a couple of ear savers, so can attach those to the KN95s. And I have one shield that has built in holders for ear straps to loop around, so that's an option too. They're just not a "quick on/quick off" like my N95's are. Fortunately my N95 + procedure mask supply is holding up well - I've really limited contact with people so these should easily last another 9 months. I'm rotating them and letting them sit for a month before re-using. I do toss the procedure masks at the first sign of wear.

I also have 3 different styles of cloth masks. (2 friends making them that I wanted to support) I have a few that tie, a few with a slot for a filter, and a bunch that have adjustable ear loops that are more comfortable than the others. Some of them have nose pieces, some don't. But I bought extra nose pieces I can sew on.

I also bought a bunch of adjustable ear loops, and can tie them onto the loops of any mask that is too tight to make them more comfortable. Totally worth buying if loops hurt your ears! 

Bottom line though - with my glasses - an N95 valved mask + procedure mask + cloth mask with adjustable ear loops is easy and comfortable and works. Add a shield and I'm set to go.  Nowhere. I'm going nowhere. LOL 

Legacy57 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legacy57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2020 at 10:18pm

I am in SW Ohio and yes, our numbers are staggering. I have groceries delivered and use Kroger pick-up, as I have been since March. On the rare occasion that I have to enter any enclosed space outside my home, I always wear an N95.

Slade View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2021 at 12:45pm

I am wearing the SavageShield Mask. My friend has one and I find I can breathe easily and my glasses don't fog which is a huge plus. I also like that it comes with replaceable filters. I saved $10.00 with coupon code SSTG10

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic