Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Deep Breath

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Lakeman5 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lakeman5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Deep Breath
    Posted: December 11 2021 at 1:19pm

Quote Mask on, social distance, hand wash (it is spread via oral/fecal route), avoid the unvaccinated like a plague etc. We'll be fine.  

I do hope you will be fine

All the above may not add up to a lot.

Masks are limited -something like  - 6%

Social distancing is limited - those three to six feet don't do that much. SIP should be good if you can do it .

The vaccinated aren’t that much safer than the unvaccinated.

Being vaccinated yourself cuts your risk from covid by a factor of ten for the original strain. But increases your risk from the vaccine by an unknown amount.

Do what you can. Live your life. Respect your neighbors rights. Don’t let fear control you or let others use it to control you.

CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2021 at 10:11pm

Originally posted by EdwinSm, EdwinSm, wrote:

It looks bad, but as the Doctor said on another thread  "Omicron variant might not be as virulent (deadly) as Delta, only time will tell. "

True.  However, the concern I have is not this variant, but the one that we are not yet planning for.  

Unvaccinated humanity is a massive petri dish.....look how Delta managed to explode in India.  

We are living in a massive "natural experiment," with our lives on the line.  Omicron MAY not be as deadly; in fact, if it provokes mild illness that confers robust immunity, then we may reach some level of herd immunity with minimal loss of life. 

However, this pandemic has taught me to take off the rose-tinted glasses and plan for the worst.  Even more aggressive variants may be brewing in Asia, Europe, Americas etc.  We cannot know until they break out and cause significant illness.  By that time, they will have spread thanks to modern jet travel.   This slide shows how SARS spread across the globe in 2003.  

Mask on, social distance, hand wash (it is spread via oral/fecal route), avoid the unvaccinated like a plague etc. 

We'll be fine.  

CRS, DrPH
Dutch Josh View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutch Josh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2021 at 10:06pm

Before "BoJo" made his speech some "media" came up with "vaccines still work" , "most likely not as bad" non-sense...goal is to stop restrictions..."save the economy"...

Omicron was strong enough to deal with Delta in just two weeks in South Africa...statistics and science both indicate Omicron is "bad" ...[url]https://www.imperial.ac.uk/news/232217/qa-imperial-experts-discuss-variant-b11529/[/url] or https://www.imperial.ac.uk/news/232217/qa-imperial-experts-discuss-variant-b11529/ 

But bad news is also bad for advertising...

We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.
~Albert Einstein
KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2021 at 8:21pm

Originally posted by hoosiermom22 hoosiermom22 wrote:

Maybe it was just a coincidence,  China told its citizens to stock up before winter a couple weeks ago….πŸ€” I believe at the time it was related to rumors of military conflict, maybe it was more.

Yes I saw that too. The article I read was encouraging Chinese citizens to stock up with a year's worth of provisions. Slightly worrying......

Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
ViQueen24 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ViQueen24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2021 at 7:55pm

The stock market plunged, and AFT went from Defcon 1 to Defcon 4.  Tells me all I need to know.

Nonetheless, I agree with, appreciate the words of Edwin: Take a breath, relax.  

No doubt you all have made a plan.  If you haven't, by all means, do.  And then work your plan.  And if you are so inclined, pray.

I am the DZ Queen, and I approve this message.
hoosiermom22 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoosiermom22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2021 at 7:51pm

Maybe it was just a coincidence,  China told its citizens to stock up before winter a couple weeks ago….πŸ€” I believe at the time it was related to rumors of military conflict, maybe it was more.

ME163 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ME163 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2021 at 6:12pm

Don't know about you, but we can't take a chance guys. We get sick and we go to the hospital.  If they close borders, it's a reason for great concern.  Lost 4 people that i knew well to COVID.  I know it's sad, but we got to sound the alarm.  Take no chances, people.   So, you can call a spade a spade.  When it comes to someone I love and who is as vulnerable as Vicki and ME are, you got to get any advantage you can get to save lives and protect others who are taking care of them.   

Jill and Becky 

ME and Vicki 

roni3470 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roni3470 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2021 at 5:04pm

I agree with you!  How quickly they named it, the emergency meeting of WHO.  Closing of borders. I have no reason to believe the general government or officials are fear mongering so it makes one wonder what they know or what is happening that is NOT being reported.  Its just all so weird!

NOW is the Season to Know

that Everything you Do

is Sacred
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2021 at 2:17pm

"Keep calm Carry On"

Might end up being what we been waiting for,a "harmless" variant......

Might not be.......

But the naming,has me "interested"

Only time will tell......

And by then it will be

"to late baby"!!!!?πŸ˜•

Take care all πŸ˜·πŸ˜‰πŸ’‰

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.πŸ––

Marcus Aurelius
EdwinSm, View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote EdwinSm, Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2021 at 8:30am

I was gone half a day and this forum was abuzz about Omicron.

It looks bad, but as the Doctor said on another thread  "Omicron variant might not be as virulent (deadly) as Delta, only time will tell. "

However, if it is better at spreading (as most seem to imply this potential) then more people could get infected and so put pressure on the hospitals.  

Anyway, everyone take a deep breath and relax, we still have time to prep and increase our stocks of things we need.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic