Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

December prepping

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: December prepping
    Posted: December 02 2021 at 9:29pm

Does anyone want to keep this prepping thread going? No one commented at all during November. Does anyone find it useful?

Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
EdwinSm, View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote EdwinSm, Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2021 at 11:45pm

Sometimes something comes up about the practical aspects of what to do, so this thread can be of value.

There was a lull in posting, then we are focusing on Omicron trying to get a hold of where it is going.....so prepping might take a back seat.  

For me some of December prepping is getting things before the Christmas rush, at  least to give me a more relaxed time - so rich fruit Christmas cake and Steamed Pudding are already baked / steamed.

KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2021 at 12:39am

I'm also Christmas baking. We started eating out Christmas cake on Nov 30th because we couldn't wait any longer.....and we finished it on Dec 2nd, so tomorrow I'll bake another one. Thankfully I managed to get enough dried fruit for 4 cakes so that should do us. Prunes are non existent here. I haven't seen them in the supermarket since Sept.

Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
Tabitha111 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tabitha111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2021 at 7:09am

Live in a retirement home- prunes are abundant and present at every breakfast LOL- we get a shipment every week.

Dec prepping for me consists of ordering some more N95 masks -at least another box (I have some boxes left)-

'A man who does not think and plan long ahead will find trouble right at his door.'
--Confucius

KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2021 at 11:34am

Tabitha, these are plenty of older people loitering by the empty prune shelves in our local supermarket. Apparently they are getting about 1 case a week and it's gone within seconds of being put out. I haven't been lucky enough to get any and we love prunes in our house. Those squishy ones are the main ingredient in my christmas cake and a friend who owns a grocery store tipped me off that he had a box of organic ones coming in. I bought 1.5kg and it cost me $69 which is more than twice what I would pay in the supermarket. Needless to say they've been hidden away from my children and on pain of death they are only for Christmas cakes  

Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2021 at 9:57pm

People should be prepping for the next quarantine, we could have another one. The items on grocery shelves are already hard to find. With rising prices anything you buy in advance is just saving you money in the long-term. 

pheasant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pheasant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2021 at 5:54am

Originally posted by Penham Penham wrote:

People should be prepping for the next quarantine, we could have another one. The items on grocery shelves are already hard to find. With rising prices anything you buy in advance is just saving you money in the long-term. 

True words!

How have you been Penham?, everyone healthy I hope.

The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself......FDR
Littlesmile View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Littlesmile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2021 at 6:10am

We are seeing alot of empty shelves here too. Not as much variety for fruit, vegetables and meat... We haven't noticed a huge jump in price yet but I'm sure it will come. I'm in some gardening groups and they were talking about a huge rise in price for seeds.

:-)
KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2021 at 11:44am

We're seeing steady price rises here. Most things seem to have gone up by about 10%. I've been quietly stocking  up on toilet paper, candles and matches. Also cat food, which is in really short supply here, the shelves are normally empty and there's a limit of 2 items per customer. I've also been stocking up on vitamin supplements and otc medications. This week I"m buying a lot of paper towels, as we're almost out.

Hazelpad View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hazelpad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2021 at 11:58am

Cat food is in short supply where I live in Scotland.  I have Maine Coon cats and lots of them, so you can see why that is a problem.   It gets smallest of breed 

Hz x

KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2021 at 12:24pm

Originally posted by Hazelpad Hazelpad wrote:

Cat food is in short supply where I live in Scotland.  I have Maine Coon cats and lots of them, so you can see why that is a problem.   It gets smallest of breed 

Hz x

OMG I've just looked them up, they are gorgeous, and so big. I've never seen one in real life but would love one. I have 2 cats and 3 dogs. We just love our cats but they are very naughty and bring in all sorts of birds and rodents. I leave our front door open from about 6am until it gets dark and they are always bringing in lizards and mice to eat on the hall carpet. We currently have 2 mice running around the kitchen that are escapees from the cat. If they can get under the dishwasher then mice are free to live a few more days. I find a lot of lizard tails wriggling on their own. Our house is completely mice proof so it's all the cats' fault. Bless them. 

Apparently nearly all our cat food comes from America and the supply chain problems mean that there are hundreds of containers of cat food still at sea. Of course our newspapers ran a headline saying "cat food shortage" and everyone rushed out and stripped the supermarkets bare within minutes.

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Littlesmile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2021 at 7:40am

Two things I've found interesting that I seen. That dried herbs has just as much vitamins and nutrition as fresh and if you eat beans within 8 hours of rice it turn into type of protein. (Please don't bash me if I've took this wrong! lol)

So I'm stocking up on dried herbs and plan to dry my own next year. I'm also stocking up pulses which most can be also grown next year :-)

KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2021 at 12:02pm

Originally posted by Littlesmile Littlesmile wrote:

Two things I've found interesting that I seen. That dried herbs has just as much vitamins and nutrition as fresh and if you eat beans within 8 hours of rice it turn into type of protein. (Please don't bash me if I've took this wrong! lol)

So I'm stocking up on dried herbs and plan to dry my own next year. I'm also stocking up pulses which most can be also grown next year :-)

You're right. If you eat rice with any pulse at a meal it does produce protein. So a vegetarian Chili con carne (obviously  with no actual carne but using red kidney beans) eaten with rice makes a complete protein. I'm not sure about the 8 hour bit but you may be right about that too. 

Did you know that you can sprout lentils and some pulses? Sprouted lentils are particularly delicious and incredibly nutritious. If you let the tops of your sprouts become green, then you get a massive hit of chlorophyll too. It's a great way to add some greens to an emergency diet.

A-I View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A-I Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2021 at 1:05pm

Originally posted by Hazelpad Hazelpad wrote:

Hz x

I'm not really a cat person but we had a Maine Coon cat and she was the best mouser and best cat ever. Of course she acted more like a dog. She was a huge cat and not afraid to take on a racoon or a possum should they wander into her territory. She'd stand on her hind legs to get a pet on the head no problem at all, so tall you didn't have to bend over to pet her. Having had many barn cats and had to deal with them occasionally when they have died, I can say she is the only cat I have ever took the time to give a decent and proper burial to, I thought that highly of her. And I often wonder if her personality was like it was because she was a Maine Coon. Not really a prepping comment I know.

"Facts don't care about your feelings" I'M A UNVAXXED DEVIL so kiss my rebel ass.
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Littlesmile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2021 at 2:05pm

Thank you for the sprouting suggestion Kiwimum! Will definitely be adding it to my list :-)

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic