Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

Calls to treat Covid like Flu

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Calls to treat Covid like Flu
    Posted: January 08 2022 at 9:23pm
Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
Dutch Josh View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutch Josh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2022 at 9:52pm

Did see it also on [url]https://www.coronaheadsup.com/coronavirus/uk-icu-doctor-to-health-secretary-i-dont-believe-in-vaccination/[/url] or https://www.coronaheadsup.com/coronavirus/uk-icu-doctor-to-health-secretary-i-dont-believe-in-vaccination/ ...

However after two years in this pandemic...with numbers much worse then flu...still going for "treat CoVid like Flu" -with all respect-does not make much sense to me...

Some of the differences [url]https://www.cdc.gov/flu/symptoms/flu-vs-covid19.htm[/url] or https://www.cdc.gov/flu/symptoms/flu-vs-covid19.htm and [url]https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/question-and-answers-hub/coronavirus-disease-covid-19-similarities-and-differences-with-influenza[/url] or https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/question-and-answers-hub/coronavirus-disease-covid-19-similarities-and-differences-with-influenza 

It would be so welcome if we could get any further then "CoViD is Flu-like", "summer/vaccines will save us", "China did it"....

The most major differences between the last major -Spanish Flu- pandemic and this one is;

-the speed of global spread

-Flu has a clear season, CoViD is around all year

-the number of (sub)variants (we learned Spanish Flu was H1N1 much later on...but there was "herd immunity back then

-no herd immunity against CoViD

-vaccines may have saved lives in this pandemic-short term-but increased immunity selection in variants longer term...

-Spanish Flu killed a lot of younger people...CoVid so far was most deathly in older age groups...that were not around that much in 1918/19

-World War One was the basis for the Spanish Flu..a lot of spread linked to soldiers...World War Three may be the outcome of the present pandemic

-For Europe/North America main part of Spanish Flu was in 1918/19...spread to colonies later on-by boat...(Dutch East Indies-Sumat(e)ra had latests deaths in 1923)..Covid!9 started september/october 2019 (allthough some samples in Europe indicate even earlier...) it is now early 2022 and it is getting worse...so other timing...

NO ! CoViD treating like the flu I think would not help because CoViD is NOT the flu ! 

We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.
~Albert Einstein
KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2022 at 10:25am

Josh, I didn't read it that they were saying Flu and Covid are the same, because you're right, there are differences. But I read it that for most people Covid is such a mild illness that they should treat it like the flu, in other words, take a few days off work, stay at home and get better.  In that respect, I suppose it is like the flu because afterall, some people end up in hospital with the flu, but most don't. Most recover after a few days at home.

Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
Dutch Josh View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Dutch Josh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2022 at 8:51pm

kiwiMum, in the official statistics worldwide CoViD killed 3,5 million...a bad flu year would kill 0,6 million....

We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.
~Albert Einstein
WitchMisspelled View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2022 at 8:41am

In fairness to Kiwimum, I believe she is speaking from the perspective of New Zealand which has not been as adversely impacted by this pandemic as other countries.  The hospitalizations there, even from Omicron, has not threatened to overwhelm or overwhelmed their healthcare system.

KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2022 at 11:27am

We've got about 40 people in hospital from Covid at the moment. There was talk here yesterday about trying to introduce Omicron in a managed way, but quite how they propose to do that I have no idea.

The whole "treat it like it's flu" debate was not my idea, I was just posting a British newspaper article and it was the British government who are proposing this. I guess the big difference with flu is that not everyone gets flu each year, only a handful, whereas, with Covid being a novel disease, everyone is likely to get it. That's the problem. Even with a low mortality rate, it will still be enough to overwhelm the hospitals due to the sheer numbers of people. 

I did see an estimate a couple of days ago suggesting that despite the numbers, about 60% of the UK haven't had it yet. The prospect of them all getting it in the next few months is scary.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic