Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

April Prepping

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: April Prepping
    Posted: April 06 2022 at 1:03pm

What's everyone doing this month for prepping

I don't think we've ever been so close to a nuclear war as we are at this moment and the prospect is terrifying. Food prices are escalating and the cost of petrol, diesel and heating oil is climbing. 

We're continuing to buy extra each week. Right now I'm focussing on tea and coffee. I know that they are luxury items but personally I think they are essential. If we have to forgo other luxuries and eat a more basic diet then starting the day with coffee will make it all a bit more bearable in my mind. So I've been buying catering size bags of coffee beans and as much of the English tea that I can find. I'm also starting to build up a supply of chocolate, although we seem to eating it almost as fast as it's coming in.

Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
WitchMisspelled View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2022 at 8:38am

With all the alarms going off about food shortages and prices rising, I finally broke down and bought a food dehydrator.  I've wanted one for years, but couldn't seem to justify it because of limited space in my apartment.  After my brother renovated my kitchen, I now have room to store one.  

Although prices on produce will be higher this year, I plan to fully take advantage of the seasonal sales on my favorite fruits and veg and stock up.  I'm not anticipating many problems finding my favorites.  It seems here in the northeast US, it seems we had fewer problems than in other parts of the country.

Being a late comer to the dehydrating party, I'd appreciate some tips. Thanks in advance. 

KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2022 at 2:15pm

We have a solar dehydrator and it's been an epic fail this season. We're in Autumn now, but in late summer, rather than the hot sunny weather we usually get, it's been cold, wet and overcast. I've had to throw away trays of apples that just started to go mouldy due to the lack of sun. It's been a disaster this year. 

My advice on drying fruit is to make sure it's really dry. I love dried pears (I cut them up into 8 pieces lengthways and dry them). I'd advise that you dry them a few hours longer than you think they need. I have jars of dried pears from last year and they've all been great except for one jar that I must have rushed and they've gone a bit mushy and we decided not to eat them. A bit of a waste. If only I'd given them a few more hours......

Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2022 at 2:23pm

I don't think you can have too many dried onions personally. They are very versatile and great if fresh onions can't be found. Enjoy your new purchase, very exciting. If I win the lottery, I intend to buy a freeze dryer but they are hellishly expensive, about $8000. One of my sisters in America has recently bought one, but it would be cheaper for her since they are American made and don't need to be shipped to the other side of the world. 

Speaking of great American purchases. I have a large All American brand pressure cooker. It's simply fantastic. I have the 21 litre one, I'd like the 42 litre one, which is the biggest they do, but again that's on my lottery wish list as it would be $1000 to get it to my door. But I can't recommend them enough. I use it to scald dead chickens before i pluck them, to pressure cook 6 chickens at once, to can meat and for about a hundred other things.

Usk View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Usk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2022 at 8:47pm

Hopefully your chickens didn’t die of avian flu

Usk View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Usk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2022 at 8:48pm

We have crows sick with something here in Va

KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2022 at 1:38pm

No bird flu here yet that I'm aware of. Hopefully our remoteness will protect us. I have been reading about it elsewhere and it's scary. And then there's the effect it will have on the cost of chicken meat and eggs..................

WitchMisspelled View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2022 at 11:25am

I'd bet that authorities already know what's killing the crows, but aren't announcing it.

Here in NYC breeders have been advised to bring their flocks indoors and the State has banned any fowl shows.

Kiwimum, I'm not sure NZ is immune to Bird Flu.  I don't know if you have any international "fly-bys" of migrations.  But I'm sure you folks do fishing and it can be carried by sea birds that hitch a ride on fishing vessels.  Then there's shipping vessels on which seabirds also hitch rides.

I got the dehydrator.  I just need to open the box, wash the silicone liners I bought with it and read the instructions.  

I'll try something simple first.  Maybe just carrots, celery and onions.  

Kiwimum, I just checked on a 23 Quart Presto Pressure Canner (the brand I had before I passed it over to my niece.)  Their shipping charges are only 106.  But I don't know what the import fees are for New Zealand.  Can they be over 900?

Here is the US Ebay link if you can follow it.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-PRESTO-01781-PRESSURE-CANNER-COOKER-23-QUART-NEW-IN-BOX-SALE/133528797324?_trkparms=5373%3A0%7C5374%3AFeatured%7C5079%3A6000008544&shqty=1&isGTR=1#shId

KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2022 at 2:55pm

Thanks for the link Witchy. I've already got the 21 quart and the 10 quart All American pressure cookers. The one I'd really like is a whopping 41 quart. I did have a quick look but I don't think Presto do one that big. My friend actually has the 41 quart one and I used it when I bottled a whole cow, and it was fantastic. So big and heavy it was hard to lift when it was empty. I love the All American brand because there are no gaskets to replace and it has such a thick aluminium base that it can go on top of my woodstove cooker. 

As I've said before, I really envy you Americans your shopping options. I also saw that Lehmans homewares store is selling them and I love Lehmans. I've had a few orders from there. If I ever get a milking goat I'm going to buy their Henry goat milker. If I ever get to America I think I'll be coming home with a shipping container of goodies. But that will have to wait until I win the lottery! ha ha.

KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2022 at 2:58pm

Witchy, have you heard about tomato powder? I've only just discovered it but it's just dehydrated tomatoes that you whizz in the blender until it's a powder and then store in a jar. If you want tomato paste, you just put a few teaspoons of it in a bowl and add water. You can store an entire crate of tomatoes in just one canning jar once it's turned into powder. It looks amazing stuff.

Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2022 at 7:52pm

We're  working on our garden. Got spinach, lettuce, onions, squash, zucchini, tomatoes, bell peppers, jalapeños and garlic planted. 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic