Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

San Francisco monkey pox state of emergency

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A-I Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: San Francisco monkey pox state of emergency
    Posted: July 28 2022 at 2:49pm

San Francisco declares state of emergency over monkeypox

San Francisco officials declared a state of emergency Thursday in response to the growing spread of monkeypox cases across the city.

The declaration will allow Mayor London Breed and other city officials to marshal resources and personnel to confront the intensifying monkeypox outbreak. As of Wednesday, the city reported that 261 people had confirmed or probable monkeypox infections. Health officials said they anticipate that figure will only grow in the coming days and weeks.

A rapid surge of monkeypox cases in San Francisco has collided with a scarcity of available vaccines. To date, city officials said they’ve received about 8,200 doses of the Jynneos vaccine, which is intended to prevent monkeypox and smallpox in adults.

“We want the flexibility to be able to use our resources to best serve the public and protect health,” San Francisco Health Officer Susan Philip said Thursday. “We also want to affirm our commitment to the health of our LGBTQ communities in San Francisco, as we have historically always done as a city,” she added, referring to the population most impacted by monkeypox so far.

Philip emphasized that she was not planning to call for any closures or restrictions, which distinguishes this emergency declaration from the health orders issued throughout the COVID-19 pandemic.

Perhaps more worrying than the sheer amount of infections was the trajectory, which “continues to go up,” Philip said, “as we know there are more cases that have yet to be diagnosed.” Testing has increased, she indicated, but not enough to make it universally accessible.

Breed acknowledged in a statement that the virus “impacts everyone equally - but we also know that those in our LGBTQ community are at greater risk right now.”

Offering support for LGBTQ community members who are “scared and frustrated,” Breed assured that the local emergency “will allow us to continue to support our most at-risk, while also better preparing for what’s to come.”

“This is a very important step by San Francisco,” state Sen. Scott Wiener said. He has pushed the city and state to declare a state of emergency related to monkeypox, and said he is writing a letter to Sec. Xavier Becerra of the U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services, asking for more flexibility for states and counties to redirect COVID-19 funds toward monkeypox vaccines and treatment.

Wiener expressed frustration with what he viewed as an initially sluggish response from the federal government, and with the “overly complicated” barriers burdening physicians as they try to administer a smallpox treatment for monkeypox. He said, however, that the federal response had improved.

With the current count, San Francisco and Los Angeles appear to be the two most worrisome hotbeds of the monkeypox outbreak in California, which, as of July 21, had the second-highest number of reported cases in the nation, after New York, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Currently the two cities are “neck-in-neck,” with roughly the same number of infections according to Philip.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/san-francisco-declares-state-of-emergency-over-monkeypox/ar-AA104QFS

"Facts don't care about your feelings" I'M A UNVAXXED DEVIL so kiss my rebel ass.
A-I View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A-I Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2022 at 2:51pm

Proper monkey pox PPE.

"Facts don't care about your feelings" I'M A UNVAXXED DEVIL so kiss my rebel ass.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic