Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Pandemic Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Number of Propane tanks for grill?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prepmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Number of Propane tanks for grill?
    Posted: March 28 2006 at 12:46pm

Anyone have a guess as to how many propane tanks we might need for our grills for six months?  Obviously, it depends on how much you use it, but I currently use mine so infrequent and it seems to last for 1-1.5 years.  Not sure how it would hold up if power is out for a long time and I use it much more.  Should I buy a total of six at home depot (one per month)?   Perhaps this is excessive?  These are the standard size propane tanks you find everywhere.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 12:55pm
good question...I ahve standard size tank on my bbq...probably about half full now....but i just picked a coleman stove today and 6 smaller cylinders....

I think your calculations should include how many in the household...i have me and 3 children and when i cook I have to cook alot....
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 1:00pm

A couple of extra propane tanks for my barbaque are on my list of things to get.
Daydreamer View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daydreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 1:36pm
We used the grill for all meals and for boiling water for dishes and showers for 6 weeks and only used about 1/2 a tank. We have two of us here. So I would think that figuring one per month should more than cover it.
Don't put off tomorrow what you can PREP today
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 1:37pm
You can also purchase 100 pound tanks - Lowes has them for 80 dollars  and you may find better pricing.  Carry it to a propane distributor and have it filled for more savings.  The tanks are not that bad to handle for one person, with two people no problem at all.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 2:11pm
I keep 6- 20# tanks for my grills, 4-30# tanks for my travel trailer, and have 2-100# tanks I used in duck blinds, so I have alot of things that can and do run on propane. Grill, lanterns, coleman stoves, generator, Fridge/stove/oven in travel trailer. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 2:54pm
Prepmeister, contact Bruss01, he did a calculation some time ago, I'm sure he'll be able to give you the numbers.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2006 at 7:13pm
Muskrat,

There are adapter hoses you can get to run the coleman stove off a standard 20lb tank.  Cost is about  20% of using the disposable tanks.  There  are also adapters that allow you to "recharge" the 1 lb disposables from a 20lb tank for use in lanterns etc.  Thats my next "must have".
Spoon View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2006 at 7:50pm
I have five 20# tanks so far.  I purchased a series III (three-burner) Coleman stove, with oven box, that hooks directly to a 20# tank.  I also have an outdoor grill as backup.

Here's the cheapest way I found to get a tank and then swap it (at least in NJ).  I buy empty tanks at BJs for $20 then swap it at Walmart for $15.
It's not so much the apocalypse... but the credit card bills ;-)
Jefiner View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jefiner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2006 at 7:56pm
gotta love the idea of buy and exchange of propane cylinders!  After all, Wal-Mart is making a ton of $$ off of all of us prepping.  I have to admit that I am curious if the supply chain management at Walmart is seeing a huge shift in buying patterns and how are they responding to that.  Anybody out there know?

BTW, The Tick rules! Big smile
Jefiner

Either you had no purpose

Or the purpose is beyond the end you figured

And is altered in fulfilment.    T. S. Eliot   
Spoon View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2006 at 9:26pm
Welcome Jefiner,

Any friend of the Tick's is a friend of mine. Smile

I was thinking about the buying shifts as well, but I wonder if there's really enough of us to make a noticable difference.
bruss01 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruss01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2006 at 10:06pm
Spoon,

You're ahead of me, buddy - I've got two at the moment, and need more.  Looks like I've got some catching up to do!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2006 at 10:42pm
I have two 20# tanks, along with a 1000 and a 250 gallon tank. Should be good for about three years.
Spoon View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 6:04am
Bruss,

It looks like Mountainwinds just left both of us in the dust.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 6:15am
As for Walmart:

========================================
Just in Time Delivery
========================================

Love them or hate them, Walmart has revolutionized
retailing.

When take your purchase to a Walmart checkout, as soon as it
is rung up the information is relayed to a central computer
that tracks inventory and provides the company with real
time data for re-ordering.  The same information is made
available to their major suppliers so that they, too, can
need to increase production.

This Just in Time Delivery System reduces carrying costs for
both the retailer and its suppliers, greatly reducing the
amount of excess inventory that needs to be maintained.

It's all about the bottom line.  Utilizing this system has
allowed Walmart to reduce its costs by 5-10%.

And what Walmart does, others must follow if they expect to
stay in business.

Why should this concern us?

In the good old pre-Walmart days, retail stores maintained a
fairly healthy inventory of products, generally kept in a
warehouse close by, or out back, where they could be used to
replenish those sold off their shelves.  On a regular basis
-- sometimes monthly, sometimes quarterly -- they would
order new inventory to replace it all.  But they had to have
lots of stock available at all times because that was the
only way to satisfy their customer's demands.  If they
didn't have the stock, they could lose the customer to a
competitor.

The same store today has minimal inventory, relying instead
on regular deliveries of its product.

This leaves us all very vulnerable if there's ever an
interruption to the delivery system.

Consider your local grocery store, for example.  Without
regular deliveries, there is only two or three days worth of
perishables on hand.  And maybe a weeks worth of canned and
dry goods.  During a pandemic, the first rush would exhaust
everything within hours.  Try to imagine a city the size of
New Orleans without food or any means to obtain it.  Imagine
this scene repeated all over the nation.

The whole scenario becomes much more horrifying when we
consider how many of our essentials (drugs, for example) are
produced overseas.  It's a virtual certainty that borders
will close, supply chains will dry up, and distribution will
be impossible if there's a pandemic.  Panic will ensue, and
life as we know it will become a nightmare.

This is why we have been urging our readers to start their
preparations now.  Start stockpiling food, water, medicines,
masks and other essentials.  Build up your inventory so that
you have enough to last at least three months.  You do NOT
want to be part of a panic stricken mob, willing to do
anything to keep your family alive.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is from a pandemic newsletter that I receive weekly
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 9:31am
I have asked several times about stuff at Walmart, what they said was basically, if it's not on the shelves, we don't have it.
randyb View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2006 at 5:08am
Originally posted by zoe17 zoe17 wrote:

I keep 6- 20# tanks for my grills, 4-30# tanks for my travel trailer, and have 2-100# tanks I used in duck blinds, so I have alot of things that can and do run on propane. Grill, lanterns, coleman stoves, generator, Fridge/stove/oven in travel trailer. 

WOW!  Nice set up.Clap  Of course I would hate to see the face of a firefighter who came to your house if was on fire........Censored  Have you thought of adding a refrigerator that runs on propane?
debtrag View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debtrag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2006 at 6:52am
I have 2- 100 lb propane tanks to heat my cat house (sounds a little obsessed, I know) but I wanted to know if anyone knows what parts it would take to modify the connection to be able to run a gas grill off of them.
P.S. I got my tanks (2) set up and lifetime use for $55.00 total.  You run the line to the outside and they connect it to the tanks.  They also supply the regulator.   All I pay for is the fuel to fill them and they come to the house to do that.  Tenbrook sales in central Indiana (listed under GAS-Propane in Yellow Pages.  Alot cheaper that buying them. 
Evergreen View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evergreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by zoe17 zoe17 wrote:

Can you tell me what kind of adapter to purchase for the 20# tanks and how much you paid?  I looked at a "line" and it cost $33 - not sure it is the adapter I'm wanting to fit to a Coleman camp stove.  Thoughts?
235365 - Energy follows thought.   As you think, so you are.
Evergreen View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evergreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by twoolf twoolf wrote:

Muskrat,

There are adapter hoses you can get to run the coleman stove off a standard 20lb tank.  Cost is about  20% of using the disposable tanks.  There  are also adapters that allow you to "recharge" the 1 lb disposables from a 20lb tank for use in lanterns etc.  Thats my next "must have".

Sorry for the redundant question.  where do I get the adapter hoses for Coleman stove and the adapter for recharge disposables for lanterns? 
Evergreen View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evergreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by Spoon Spoon wrote:

Here's the cheapest way I found to get a tank and then swap it (at least in NJ).  I buy empty tanks at BJs for $20 then swap it at Walmart for $15.

Looks like my focus is all about propane today.  Can you explain what you mean by "swap it" at Walmart?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 1:13pm
Evergreen - Wal-Mart, service stations, grocery stores - often have a place to exchange an empty tank for a full one.  When you buy your tank it will be empty.  It usually costs about $13.00 to $15.00 dollars to exchange for a full tank.  If you go to a propane distributor they will fill your tank for a few dollars less than that.
AVanarts View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AVanarts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 1:17pm
I just bought new tanks at Costco for $20 and had them filled at U-Haul for about $10 each.  I thought that was a bit high, so maybe I'll try a gas station next time.  The U-Haul store was on my way home though.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 1:17pm
Evergreen - the adapter hose can be purchased at Wal-mart or Academy Sports at good prices.  They are fairly generic (1 end hooks up to a 20lb cylinder and the other end is the same as a 1 lb cylinder).  Harbor Freight I believe carries the adaptor to fill the small 1-lb cylinders.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 1:18pm
Avanarts - 10 dollars I think is a good price
AVanarts View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AVanarts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 1:21pm
Evergreen, I bought a 30 inch "distribution post" at a local store.  It attaches to the valve on the tank and rises up about 30 inches.  It allows one to fit a propane lantern to the top of the post for light and then attach hoses to two ports on the side of the post.  Those hoses will hook directly to propane camp stoves or other appliances.

Check your local sporting goods store, they will be happy to set you up.  BTW, I got mine at a Bi-Mart store, which is a discount chain here in the Pacific Northwest.
Evergreen View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evergreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 1:45pm
One last question:  Please, anyone jump in -- What is the danger involved with storing a 20# propane tank?
flowerchild View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flowerchild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 3:34pm
Can I add to that question?  Where is the best place to store it at?
debtrag View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debtrag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2006 at 7:01am
I do belive that they are very safe.  I store my extras in the garage.  Just be sure that the valve is tightly turned off and do not smoke around them.  I am also in the practice of always shutting the valve off after I am done cooking on the grill.  This way if a leak would develop in a hose or at a connection you would be safe.  Always listen for any air leaks when you open the valve  and before you turn the knobs on the grill.
AVanarts View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AVanarts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2006 at 8:05am
It's always a good idea to keep them out of the house, but in the shade in as cool an environment as possible.  That said, I have always kept mine in the garage or basement.  I'm sure that there are many who will say that is unsafe, and I'm not going to argue with them.

Mercaptains (stinky stuff) are added to propane to give a "rotten egg" smell the same as natural gas which is piped into many of our homes.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2006 at 8:27am
Seems like everyone has the coleman propane stoves. I bought what they call the "dual fuel stove. It runs on white gas camp stove fuel, but can also run on gasoline. My thinking is that if we keep the cars full of gas, and we plan on staying at home, then we'll have lots of fuel (gasoline) available after we run out of the camp stove fuel. The coleman website also said that these work better in very cold weather than the propane. My big question that I hope someone can enlighten me on is if the duel fuel stove will be as safe to operate inside as the propane stove?? There was a thread sometime back that seems to think the propane stoves were safe to operate inside if you had a window slightly open. Also picked up a carbon monoxide detector. Do I need to return the duel fuel stove for a propane stove? help!
TheSkyisFalling View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheSkyisFalling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2006 at 9:14am
I'm new here, so excuse me if this has already been answered....

but, why on earth do you all think electricity will not be working...or do none of you have an electric stove?

Even in worst case senario, surely there will be electricity even if military has to keep it going.

Those things would be top priority for any government, water, electricity, utilities...

I am all for preparing but I am just going for food/water  and even water is a stretch as you could need tons of storage for the time periods you guys are talking about.

Fill me in please.
When the going gets weird, the weird go Pro!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2006 at 9:32am
    If you use solar your propane will go a lot farther.
AVanarts View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AVanarts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2006 at 9:42am
Strider,  never use a camp stove burning liquid fuel inside.  Those things give off large amounts of Carbon Monoxide and will kill you.  It would be fine to use it out on the back porch or deck, but NEVER inside.
strider View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2006 at 10:56am
So camp stove fuel should not be used inside, but you think propane is safe inside if you have a window open?
flick View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2006 at 6:22am
The little proprane cylinders for a camp stove are good for 8 hours of cooking.
 I store all the propane for the big grills in our shed  (heavy duty hand built, not a metal buy- a -shed, we have hurricanes here) out back . The small cylinders I keep in the closet of the spare bedroom.
The way I look at it, if I can't leave the house at least I have fuel for the camp stove.
Make sure your carbon monoxide alarm can be powered by battery in case of power failure and store the extra batteries.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2006 at 9:37am

I don't think its so much that elect cant be generated, but that line repairs will quickly fall behind due to storms etc. 
Thordawggy View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thordawggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2006 at 10:56am
I have been dehydrating carrots, celery, green peppers and onions in small peices to make up a soup base or to throw in rice etc.  I just happened across a tub of dehydrated vegs that were in zip locks and in an airtight tub in the fridge for about 7 years.   I was going to throw them out but opened the zip locks and wow were they still potent.  I chipped off a peice of garlic and crunched it and it is very strong - can't get the taste out of my mouth now.  Anyway, don't throw away any old stuff like that until you try it.  It may be a pleasant suprise. 
Now that I have a Food Saver, they are all going to be vacuum packed and put it all back in that tub or the freezer. 
2ifbyC View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ifbyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2006 at 10:59am
The military is not in the utilities business. They will have portable power required for them to perform their duties, not for civilians. They might provide power for relocation/isolation camps.

Current manning would not permit the military to man and maintain our utilities. Hopefully your local government has plans to account for those who wouldn't or couldn't report to work. I'm not counting on that locally.

Survival does have an 'I'!

Dodging 'canes on Florida's central Gulf Coast
Proudest Monkey View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Proudest Monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2006 at 5:07pm
We decided to buy some wood (1 1/2 cords). Even though we do not use wood heat, it will be an alternative way to cook, when the propane/butane runs out. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic