Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Coronavirus Pandemic: Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

What would you forget?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gexydaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What would you forget?
    Posted: May 05 2006 at 6:34pm

We was thinking of odd things that you might forget to prep.

Light bulbs -- maybe the power will stay on.  Won't it be awful to be in the dark because of lack of a good bulb?

Fuses -- same thing.

Flea treatment -- I only buy it when the dog gets fleas, but maybe I should have some on hand.

Anyone else have any ideas about things easy to forget about?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2006 at 7:57pm
Light bulbs for the flashlights ... we always think of the batteries, but not the bulbs!
Make up .... gotta  have the make up!
Pants for my son ... he's 12 and this past 6 mos. must have grown nearly 
                3 inches! Folding his laundry the other night, I realized I'd better
                make sure he's got some new ones!
Ink for the comp. printer ... if we have power.
nettie4263 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nettie4263 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2006 at 9:00pm
Ink, good thinking!
Gexydaf View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gexydaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2006 at 10:12pm
Printer ink is a great idea.

Maybe a few extra books of stamps.
Brad View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2006 at 11:21pm
Alright, I will admit to the most embarrassing omission in my preparedness plans.  A couple years ago, I made a list of "things to do" in an emergency.  It was a decent list, and I revised and updated it over the following week or two.  At some point during this process, I realized that I'd forgotten about my Mom, who is a widow and lives about 6 miles away.

Dumb, dumb me.  I felt like a jerk, but I was focusing on "things" and not "people."  I mention this in the hope that no one else would make such a  mistake.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2006 at 9:34am

How about bee spray for those of you who can go outside without being close to Neighbors or Ant Spray... We go thru at least 2 to three cans a year.

Camping coffee pot...There 20.00 at walmart and they go over any fire.  They purkulate and the coffee is really good...Works with any coffee that you'd put in your coffee maker. 
Oil for generator or Spark Plug.
Syphoning Hose for those 55 gallon containers.
Relish for Tartar Sauce.  Tartar sauce is just relish and mayo  You may have to fish for food....

maryk View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maryk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2006 at 10:17am

Birth control pills, condums

Gexydaf View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gexydaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2006 at 10:47am

and maybe some prenatal vitamins if the above didn't work

Wink
Safety Lady View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Safety Lady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2006 at 12:13pm
Extra Monostat for yeast infections, Uristat for bladder infections, proxide, alcohol, tea tree oil, vaseline, all otc medications or first aid supplies.  You can use fresh dryer sheets to repel mosquitos.  Just put one in the pocket and play outdoors. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2006 at 3:25pm
[QUOTE You can use fresh dryer sheets to repel mosquitos.  Just put one in the pocket and play outdoors.  [/QUOTE]

I never heard of that before!! I'll have to give it a try.  Does it matter if it's in a pants pocket? -k
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2006 at 6:52pm
I had a really good idea ... came to the computer to let you know ... got started reading stuff that's been put on here, since the last time I was on ....and now I FORGET what it was!!!!!!!  When I remember .... I'll be back - and coming straight to this thread ...  no side tracking! -k
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2006 at 8:02pm
Don't forget that if  you don't have electricity, you won't be able to use your vacuum cleaner.

I bought a manual carpet sweeper for the carpeted areas of my home. It's very light and I'm finding it quite handy for small clean ups when I don't want to lug out my heavier vacuum cleaner.
steve 101 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve 101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2006 at 10:40pm
You can use fresh dryer sheets to repel mosquitos.  Just put one in the pocket and play outdoors. 
please excuse my ignorance. What is a dryer sheet
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2006 at 11:22pm
A dryer sheet is a small sheet treated with a softening/anti-static that you put in the dryer - makes clothes smell good.  (Bounce is one brand) -
The thing is, there are alot of different kinds out there.  Safety Lady, do you know of a specific type that does better than others?  Great idea........
Don't forget to repair any screens in your windows that have holes in them.  And if you plan to make a solar oven, you need to pick up some dark colored pans.
Safety Lady View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Safety Lady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2006 at 2:23pm
Any pocket.  We have a pond and mosquitoes.  Grand kids rub the sheet over exposed surfaces of their skin and put the sheet in back pocket.  Also can use on picnic table under something heavy to repel wasps.  We tried this last year at church picnic when wasps were at their peak.  Each table had a dryer sheet on it and the wasps stayed away.  Also put a regular soda bottle away from the table with a little soda left.  We regularly use store brand dryer sheets.  Some people swear by bounce.  Found they don't make a difference.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2006 at 5:05pm
extra can opener
worm pills (dogs)
haircut sizzors
dictionary
laxitives
blank computer disks
garden seeds
Gexydaf View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gexydaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2006 at 7:25am

Furnace filterers

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2006 at 8:16am
I am putting up a bat house this season to get ready for increased insect populations.
Hydrangea View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hydrangea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2006 at 8:40am
Whetstone or other manual knife sharpener
Lantern wicks
Faucet washers
Eyeglass repair kit and extra pair of reading glasses

purplepanther View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purplepanther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2006 at 8:57am
I bought cranberry juice for uniary infections
I'm going to buy a wonder washer in case the electricity goes out to wash clothes
Thordawggy View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thordawggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2006 at 5:52pm

A few big bags of charcoal in case you run out of propane and other fuel or incase the propane stove breaks.  You can always dig a small pit to use the charcoal if you don't have a BBQ for it.  It would only take a handfull of coals to make a meal so a large bag will go a long way.  Or use them on top of and under a cast iron dutch oven.  Good for cooking that  possum in.   LOL

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thordawggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2006 at 6:33pm
Oh, speaking of washing clothes  - thanks for the reminder, Purplepanther -  I am going to get a new plunger to wash clothes in a Rubbermaid tub.  (I can't get one of those washers)
Since I can't stand for long periods of time, I can sit out on the patio with my plunger and tub.  Will have to use water from the rain barrels (cold and filtered) to do this and then dump the water in the bathtub to flush the toilet with if no water supply.

I wonder why my first post is a larger font than the second post?  I didn't change anything.  I like larger fonts.  I is gettin' old and blnd.

koolsteve View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koolsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2006 at 6:39pm
lighters and matches! ( may have already been coverd)
paper!
underwear!
ninjas rule
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thordawggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2006 at 6:41pm
A good thing for growing kids and adults too is sweat pants.  They can easily wear 3 sizes larger and the too small ones will stretch.   Here they will have to be worn for a few days  before they are washed if there is no electricity.  If it is winter, large sweat pants can be worn over jeans for extra warmth and worn to bed for warmth.   Those cheap sweats at Walmart last forever and are only about $5 a pair for the tops and bottoms.  Since they are 10-20% polyester, they dry much quicker.  I prefer 100% cotton but they just aren't the ticket for an emergency and much more expensive.
I will shut up now.  Big smile
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2006 at 8:07am
See my post above on May 6 ... forgot what I wanted to post about forgotten items ... well, it's only 3 days later ... and now I remember! (It's a menopause thing!) Anyway .... a CAN CRUSHER! Was thinking about how we need to burn/bury trash (burn seems likea good option for space) and it got me thinking about all those cans we'll be accumulating w/ our canned goods!  We'll need to crush them! Seems my dad made one years ago w/ some heavy metal thingy on the end of a stick ... I'm sure somebody can figure one out and share w/ us! -k
Mississipp Mama View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mississipp Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2006 at 12:31pm
  For those of us who have a few gray hairs will you try to keep your hair dyed at some point?  If so don't for get the hair color.  It could be a great way to boost the spirits every now and then.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2006 at 4:32pm
What is a wonder washer?  I've been looking for a washboard thingy with no luck.

Sweats is a good idea.  Shoot, I thought I was done shopping...
Rhonda View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhonda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2006 at 4:45pm
Check the Carol Wright website.....................they have one for 49.95
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2006 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by ReadyMom ReadyMom wrote:

See my post above on May 6 ... forgot what I wanted to post about forgotten items ... well, it's only 3 days later ... and now I remember! (It's a menopause thing!) Anyway .... a CAN CRUSHER! Was thinking about how we need to burn/bury trash (burn seems likea good option for space) and it got me thinking about all those cans we'll be accumulating w/ our canned goods!  We'll need to crush them! Seems my dad made one years ago w/ some heavy metal thingy on the end of a stick ... I'm sure somebody can figure one out and share w/ us! -k

Ready mom,

for "tin cans",   the best way to crush is to cut the ends out, then step on it to flatten. Takes less space than the typical aluminum can crusher. For aluminum cans, harbor freight has a couple of models. I have the "semi-automatic" one that hold six cans. Pretty good upper body workout if you mount it high enough!

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2006 at 5:26am
Filters for the cooker hood or whatever you have.  Cooking smells could attract thieves to the house.  Filters are one of the things that might help.  Beth
Scotty View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2006 at 5:50am
With several hundred cans in storage it would be quite frustrating if your only can opener ceased to function. They aren't expensive and a few spares might be handy.
figure'n it out View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote figure'n it out Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2006 at 7:42am
 I've also included a stetcher  on my list...either store bought and or supplies to make homemade... in a hurry we will have to be prepared to move our sick loved ones or they may need to move you...

I have considered that should a friend or family member arrive or someones child has been left behind due to the death of their family members, etc.. I have plactic sheeting, duct tape, twine w/ eyehooks to make a qaurentine room or area so as to keep my children seperate for at least 72 hours to see if others have been infected....

also.. if you burn sulfur you can decontaminate the air, I just haven't found where to purchase it... include Lysol spray to your list

also... bonoculars (sp?) if you have them to you can see better without having to leave your spot
oknut View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oknut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2006 at 8:11am
Thanks for the tip on burning sulfur.
I just found a seller on Ebay - Item number: 7618739086
They are selling it by the pound.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2006 at 10:03am
***Will try the laundry sheets, but if Bounce does not work we had bought five cans of DEET Bug Spray yesterday.

****Three more large Hydrogen Peroxide bottles to treat open wounds (still missing the volka, got some wiskey) from Joe Namouths experience.

***Lamp oil and extra wicks.

***Fix-a-flat and Slime Tire Sealant.

***We have an extra pressure switch for the water-well and extra belt for the tractor.
oknut View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oknut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2006 at 10:19am
While searching for my rechargeable batteries that I picked up a long time ago, I discovered that I have 2 solar battery chargers. Don't know how that happened.

Still haven't found the box of batteries though ..
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2006 at 12:01pm
Burning sulfer? Never heard of this, please explain.
Mississipp Mama View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mississipp Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2006 at 6:26pm
  I have heard of burning sulfur to keep the snakes out of your house, or if you think some are in the house the old folks use to burn it and leave the door open.  It's suppose to be good to get rid of all kinds of critters.  I'm not sure wether you would stay in the house or not.  If a person is sick they probably couldn't stand the smell.  If someone knows the answer to this question please let me know.  You should be able to buy sulfur from a farm supply or feed store,that's where I got mine from.
figure'n it out View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote figure'n it out Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2006 at 6:23am
I 've just learned that household flies are a vector for transmitting the H5N1 virus. Please add fly paper and swatters to your list!!! Perhaps some sheer material that can be tacked up on doorways that you can push aside rather than opening doors fully...or use large sheets of newspaper cut like tassels to tack across the top of the door openings as flies like to zoom in from the tops... also bits of cotton balls to fill any holes, etc in screens.

Also... I read that during the 1918 pandemic they boiled vinegar 24 hours as supposedly the virus doesn't like acidic enviornments ( Remeber the old remedy of gargleing hotwater with vineagr and salt) just some more ideas... we can do it!!! Please visit
http://www.bird-flu-influenza.com for awesome advice.
history repeats its self
nettie4263 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nettie4263 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2006 at 7:26am
Wouldn't the wonder washer require electricity?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2006 at 7:08pm

I don't think I've seen anyone mention supplies needed to take care of family if they do get the virus.  How about:

disposable gloves, multiples of items you would want to keep seperate for the sick room like themometers, BP, hand sanitizer, biohazard waste recepticles of some kind, disinfectant supplies to leave in that room, masks and eye guards

what about linens?  heat kills the virus, how do we disinfect laundry?  just hot water and soap

Any doctors or nurses that can advise us on this, please?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2006 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by 4thegirls 4thegirls wrote:

I don't think I've seen anyone mention supplies needed to take care of family if they do get the virus. 

This booklet has a useful list on page 14:

The booklet also tells you how to care for someone who is ill.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2006 at 5:17pm
Batteries for the smole/fire alarms.  Vodka as a painkiller if someone say broke a bone.  Beth
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2006 at 8:25pm
extra pillows!  I have some that I've kept on hand for guests.  They are in a vacume bag for storage, but if anyone gets ill, you'll probably want to consider tossing that old germy pillow and using new. -k
pugmom View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pugmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2006 at 7:44pm
Bags and bags of potting soil, so you can grow your seeds in pots and keep them on the deck for tending and away from thieves.  Also, I LOVE my shake-em-up flashlight--never needs batteries, puts out a great soft purple light, and the lamp/LED light lasts 100,000 hours (or so the instruction manual said.)
jpc
Karianne View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karianne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2006 at 3:00pm
Don't forget marshmallows. Funny how those things cheer everybody up when you've still got hot coals after you're finished cooking. Right before a hurricane, they sell out FAST.

Kari
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic