Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Hands Down Best Survival Books

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hands Down Best Survival Books
    Posted: May 07 2006 at 4:07pm
I know this thread has been done more than once, so please forgive me in advance.  It may well help the newbees too.

Please, please, please post the must have books.  They can range from prepping, medical, rustic living, etc.  I haven't a clue how to do most anything.  My idea of camping is at the holiday Inn Embarrassed

I am out of time this week with doctor appts every day and truly want to get these books ordered tonight.

Thanks,

s

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2006 at 4:26pm
xx
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2006 at 4:48pm
The set of Foxfire books.
The trappers bible.
Survivalist medicine chest.
Emergency war surgery.
The canning, freezing, curing and smoking of meat, fish and game.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2006 at 5:59pm
Well, if 99.99% of the world's population goes (never happen), then my book would be must reading.  Otherwise, go look up the Foxfire Books at garage sales or E-Bay.  I've got 'em.
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2006 at 6:05pm
Check thrift stores. I know money is a problem for some, your local library probably has some type of books on survival. Might be a good place to start looking, you can always take notes on things you think are important if you can't afford to purchase a bunch of books. Or even to review the books before buying to see if it is something you really need/want.
JaxMax View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaxMax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2006 at 6:19pm
1. Dr. Grattan Woodson's "Preparing for the Influenza Pandemic" is free and stored on PDF on this site. It is THE practical medical basis for treating pandemic flu.

2. For general survival during anarchy, "Life after Doomsday" by Bruce Clayton. The home defense and weapons selection are superb. I originally thought the atomic warfare section and expedient fallout shelters was dated, but in view of the Iranian and terror threat, it now seems very timely.

3. Aircrew Survival Manual published by the US Air Force.

All military survival texts are great (especially Special Forces) but this one is the best because when pilots get shot down or crash, they do not have a lot of supplies. They are also in a wide variety of climates. This manual is unmatched in showing how to find and purify water, evasion and escape, and expedient shelter and sanitation. We keep one in each survival backpack in each vehicle.
He who walks with the wise grows wise, but a companion of fools suffers harm.Proverbs 13:20, The Bible
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2006 at 6:48pm
One good resource is (believe it or not), a Readers Diges book "back to Basics". Every skill needed for basic survival from soap to building a house.
Trident/Delta View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trident/Delta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2006 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by Mountainwinds Mountainwinds wrote:

The set of Foxfire books.
The trappers bible.
Survivalist medicine chest.
Emergency war surgery.
The canning, freezing, curing and smoking of meat, fish and game.

All the above and the Boy scouts Field book

T/D
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2006 at 12:01pm
Thanks to all that replied, it's been a lot of help!

s
Fastcard View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fastcard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2006 at 12:19am
Jeff Cooper.s 
The Principles Of Self Defense.

A bunch of back issues of Mother Earth News

Of course the Foxfire collections

The Backwoodsman back issues

books by Tom Brown, real scouting.

A Bible verse that is just perfect...... for the situation.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic