Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Pandemic Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Water Storage questions?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote htpp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Water Storage questions?
    Posted: January 21 2006 at 6:52pm

I've been reading all I can about prepping but am confused about the issue with water storage.  I've purchased 5 collasaple water containers (all that my Wal-mart had)  several gallon jugs of water and I called Orcheleons today and they have a 50 gallon water container for $29.00 which I plan on picking up tomorrow.  My question is, should I go ahead and fill all of these up with water or wait until the flu actually arrives and if so, will that be to late? 

I thought I read that the virus only lives in water for a certain amount of time so I was wondering if I could still continue to use my city water if the flu arrived as long as I put the proper amount of bleach in it and let it sit? Or is it that once the flu arrives I should not use my city water at all even for laundry? 

Is everyone saving/storing up water in case the water plants close or because you don't think the water will be safe at all no matter how much bleach is put into it once the virus arrives? 

I don't have much money to spend on a lot of items but I'm scrimping every penny I can to make sure I have all the bases covered and lots of food!  Can't even imagine that if I didn't do this and having to tell my children that I have no water for them to drink or food to eat!!  I just wish my friends would listen.

Thanks!

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2006 at 7:01pm

htpp,

We are storing water mostly because we are worried about the water plants maintaining operation.  If there is no power, the plants will only last as long as their generators have fuel.

2 liter bottles of soda (the clear ones) make great water storage vessels.  If you hit up your co-workers & friends you can likely come up with about 10 of these a week.  Fill them all the way to the top, so that there is no air space and the water will last many years.

Put up some now...it's a good thing to have in case there are other issues with water, not just BF.  Then when a pandemic is declared I would fill every vessel I could get my hands on, just because I don't believe in leaving something as critical as your water supply to the last minute. 

htpp View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote htpp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2006 at 7:10pm

Great idea - 2 liter bottles of soda and asking my co-workers & friends is a good idea.  I thought was interesting what something said on another post about a couple of people in a town can buy up all of one item.  My Wal-Mart had only 5 collaspable water containers and I bought them all so if someone watches the Oprah show and goes to Wal-Mart on Wednesday there will likely not be any there.

So another question - if the BF was an issue would it be safe to wash laundry in hot water w/bleach?  And, what about storing water for laundry/dishes in new rubbermaid trash cans?

Appreciate everyone's posts in this forum.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2006 at 7:17pm

htpp,

Laundry...Do you plan to quarantine?  If so, your laundry shouldn't be an issue.  Disinfecting w/ bleach...you can also use the oxyclean type products (oxygenation kills bacteria & viruses) for anything that isn't color safe.  I am on a septic system so bleach is reserved for only when it is absolutely necessary, oxyclean in every load that doesn't have bleach added.

As an aside: I read a bit of a splurb in BHG that said our laundry was FULL of bacterial & viral contamination because we use less bleach & lower temps & don't hang our laundry in the sun anymore.  They suggested the oxyclean type product.  If you have toddlers in the home you washing machine is likely crawling with e-coli that you cross contaminate EVERYTHING you wash with.  Grossed me right out!

htpp View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote htpp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2006 at 7:23pm

Definitely plan to quarantine myself and my family.  I work at home anyway doing payroll and benefits for a large plant but if no one is working at the plant because of the Bird Flu then who knows what will happen. 

ok, that grosses me out too!  I did not know that.  I used to make my own Oxyclean with hydrogen peroxide and something else - guess I better dig out that recipe and make a huge batch and start using it.

TNbebo408 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TNbebo408 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2006 at 7:29pm
I keep five new clean trash cans ready to fill with water, in ten minutes they can be full.
I do have other sealed jugs, for water storage, they are refreshed the first Sunday morning of each month.
Notice water coolers, or ice chests, coolers, what ever, they are always white on the inside, or light grey, the colorants in plastics do leach out very slight amounts of organic and metal compounds. However, you would have to consume water from them for the rest of your life, from age one to seventy for them to have adverse affect on your health. No water and you be dead in days.
I am lucky we have spring water within quarter mile of the house. It has been sampled and is clean.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2006 at 7:32pm

htpp,

WOW!  If you find that recipe PLEASE POST IT!  Oxyclean is soooo expensive, but I use it anyway.  Hydrogen peroxide is CHEAP.

htpp View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote htpp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2006 at 7:48pm

Yes, I'll look for it.  I remember it was really cheap to make - pretty sure it had table salt (also very cheap) also but need to find it so I know how much of each ingredient-

htpp View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote htpp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2006 at 9:12pm

SophiaZoe, I found the oxy-clean recipe:

Homemade Oxy Clean Recipe
Mix one cup hot water, 1/2 cup baking soda, and 1/2 cup hydrogen peroxide. Just soak the clothing in the washing machine for 20 minutes to overnight and then wash as usual.

I've also read that a generic form of oxy-clean is sold at the Dollar Tree - not sure how much but I figure I'd compare costs of making it to the cost of the Dollar Tree brand but after what you said it's definitely going in every load of laundry that I do from now on.

Thanks again!

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2006 at 9:39pm
Thanks a million htpp!  Got it jotted.
halogen601 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote halogen601 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2006 at 5:57am
I think I have prepared sufficiently on food and other staples and will move on to the water issue.  I don't want to spend a fortune on water barrels and noticed some of the forum members are using garbage cans for water storage.  Will plastic cans suffice or are they too flimsy for water storage?  Would galvanized cans work better or are they inclined to leak.  I intend to keep bulk water in the garage for occasionally flushing the toilet or hand washing clothing.  I'll save the bottled water for drinking, coffee, and cooking.  The plastic garbage cans would be ideal because they could be stacked when not in use and filled during sporadic water service.
There is trouble in the forest.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2006 at 6:22am

I have stored alot of my food in 70litre plastic containers..all my food is in ziplock bags..and the comatiners can be re-used for water collection..bathing..they are not that big but will suffice..

I have about 300 2 litre pop bottles with water..do not forget to add couple drops of regular household bleach...and I wax the tops..just in case..and will re-use the parowax to make candles..I also save the green ones..not to drink and all family members have been told not to..but will use for washing up..

if you ask co-workers and on,t want them to know what you are using them for..tell them you are going to try a craft..or that you know someone that can take them somewhere and have them re-cycled..some provinces do that here in Canada..

Dolphin View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2006 at 6:43am

halogen601,

I use plastic garbage cans for water storage all of the time.  They work great. I have used the water for everything but drinking and cooking. I use plastic garbage cans for many uses and they come in all price ranges.  The ones with wheels are particularly great for storing and moving just about anything.

htpp,

Thanks for sharing the homemade Oxy-clean recipe.  I definitely have to give that a try!  I've been very concerned with how to deal with clothing nasties when coming in from the outside. This sounds like the answer I've been looking for.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2006 at 12:01pm

I never though of garbage container for water.  That a great idea 

Thanks

I

Edited by RBARNES55
AuntBones View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AuntBones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2006 at 2:21pm
Just a reminder, dont put plastic jugs on cement floor. Something to do with a chemical reaction between the two. Keep plastic water containers in a dark space, no sunlight.
htpp View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote htpp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2006 at 3:22pm

I have learned so much from this post - thank you all very much!!  I was have several gallons and 2 liters and was going to store them in my garage --- on the cement floor!!  I'll have to find another place now.  Probably put them in empty copier paper boxes and stack up in the corner of my spare room.

Regarding the galvanized trash cans - I think I read on another post that it wasn't good to store water in these because of the chemicals in these type of trash cans getting into the water? Not sure?

Your welcome for the homemade oxy-clean recipe

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2006 at 3:59pm

I have all my plastic containers on my basement floor(cement)underneath my stairs in a cupboard..I have never heard of not putting them on cement..

AuntBones View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AuntBones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2006 at 4:26pm
Hi Muskrat...  I had mine on basement floor also.Was told to put a some thing under them(cardboard or rug). I cant remember why ...might be due to salt or some other chemical. All I know is I want my water safe!
AuntBones View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AuntBones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2006 at 4:29pm
htpp I learn some new every day in here.  Welcome htpp!!
TNbebo408 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TNbebo408 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2006 at 7:20pm
Never drink from a galvanized can, first they leak, but they will leach harmful elements of metals, acids, and some chemical compounds to harm you.
ESPECIALLY small kids. You safer drinking rain water, filtered with coffee filters, then, use bleach to disinfect.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic