Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Pandemic Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

HOME CANNING

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
Author
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bellabecky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2006 at 2:44am
Originally posted by lkay lkay wrote:

LOL bellabecky!  I know what you mean!!  I laughed when I read your post, I hope you don't mind, but something about 1.5 pints and then seeing that little cute monkey reading that book....well, thanks for the laugh!  It felt good! [IMG]height=17 alt=LOL src="http://www.avianflutalk.com/smileys/smiley36.gif" width=17 align=absMiddle>   Don't you just hate when you run out of food before you can fill that jar up!  lol

I'm glad my post gave you a laugh!

My teen(17) loves monkeys and inspired my avitar. The youngest is five, and we call her the "trunk-monkey". Like the commercials she is always sent to do the dirty work (for her sisters). But the monkey is my husband, on his favorite seat, doing BF research for me! So see, I got the whole family in it! Oops, except the seven year old, but she IS the middle child...and the prettiest!

Yeah, the preserves didn't work out like they were supposed to. It was supposed to make 4-5 pints?? I had to transfer the second pint jar into a half pint one. It was a sticky mess! You would have split a gut if you had been here to see my confused look at the measly 1.5 pints, it took me two days to make! I'm gonna forge forward on the canning though...this weekend! See you then...I'm gonna need help!

"IN THE BEGINNING OF A CHANGE THE PATRIOT IS A SCARCE MAN, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a patriot. Mark Twain, 1904
lkay View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2006 at 6:09am
Bellabecky, I know that confused look all to well!  I had it just the other day when I tried dehydrating bananas for the first time. Gosh they were ugly and all stuck to the trays. I have no idea if I did them to long, to little, or just right?  lol  Atleast we're trying new things, and hopefully learning alot in the process!  Glad you have your family in on this too!  Thank goodness my husband is taking it all serious and helping me with it all. My son smiles and sometime rolls his eyes at my preps, but he did thank me for all I'm doing in my mother's day card from him. My daughter has just had a little baby boy so she's even more glad that I'm watching out for them all.  Keep up the good work!  1.5 pints is still better than nothing Wink

lkay View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2006 at 7:00am
Though I would post this for you guys. It's Hamburger Helper mix (from annika) that you store in a jar. You don't have to process it, but would go good with some of that canned hamburger meat.

"Almost Hamburger Helper" Mix in a Jar

2 cups nonfat dry milk
1 cup corn starch
1/4 cup beef bouillon powder
2 tablespoons onion flakes
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons dried parsley
1 tablespoon garlic powder

Mix the ingredients together and store in an airtight jar.

Attach the following recipes to the jar:

Chili Mac:
1 lb ground beef, browned and drained
1 c water
1/2 c macaroni noodles (uncooked)
2 cans chopped tomatoes
1 T chili powder
1/2 cup mix
Combine all and simmer 20 minutes or until macaroni is cooked.

Stroganoff:
2 c water
1/2 c mix
2 c uncooked egg noodles
1/2 cup sour cream
Combine all except sour cream. Simmer 20 minutes or until noodles are tender. Stir in sour cream and serve.

Potato Beef Casserole:
3/4 c water
6 potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
1 c frozen mixed veggies
1/2 cup mix
Combine all and simmer, covered, until potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove cover and cook until excess water is evaporated.

Quick Lasagna:
1/2 c mix
1 onion, chopped
2 c water
16 oz tomato sauce
3 c lasagna noodles, uncooked, broken in bits
1/4 c parmesan cheese
2 c mozzarella cheese, shredded
Combine all except mozzarella in large skillet. Bring to a boil, let simmer for 15 minutes or until noodles are cooked. Top with mozzarella. Turn off heat and let cheese melt.

lkay View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2006 at 7:06am
Here's another good one.  I think I'll just post the link. Smile

http://www.razzledazzlerecipes.com/christmas/gifts/potato-soup-mix.htm
lkay View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2006 at 7:07am

Potato Soup Mix

1-3/4 cups instant mashed potatoes
1-1/2 cups dry milk
2 Tb. instant chicken bullion
2 tsp. dried minced onion
1 tsp. dried parsley
1/4 tsp. ground white pepper
1/4 tsp. dried thyme
1/8 tsp. turmeric
1-1/2 tsp. seasoning salt

Combine all ingredients. in a bowl and mix. Makes 6 servings. Place in 1 quart canning jars to store.

Instructions to attach to jar: To serve: place 1/2 cup mix in soup bowl and add 1 cup boiling water. Stir until smooth.

honeybee View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2006 at 7:38am
Budget Strognaoff - so simple you might pass it by, but make it one day, it is surprisingly delicious -

1 lb hamburger browned
1 can cream of mushroom soup

mix and serve over noodles.
Honeybee
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2006 at 11:09am
Ikay you will find that the bananas will stick to you dehydrator, but if they are dry enough if you bend the pad they will pop off. I have been dehydrating bananas for about 6 weeks, my last batch I left longer than the previous, very dry and we liked them better. They make a wonderful snack.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2006 at 11:30am
Dave I canned chili for the first time this week, cheaper to buy on sale. I will probably can what we eat out of jar and purchase on sale chili that we use on hot dogs and in other dishes.  Spagetti sauce is cheaper to buy than can in my opion.

I am also purchasing most of our veggies, we have a Sav a Lot here and most veggies are $.39 every day.

lkay View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2006 at 12:25pm
arklatex, I bet I didn't dry them long enough.  I'm not sure I know what you mean about bending the pad. Maybe mine is different. It was a cheap one at walmart. I have 5 or 6 trays that are very hard plastic and don't think you can bend them. I think next time I'll try using a little Pam spray on the trays first. The apples did much better. No problem getting them off at all.
Your screen name is the same as the company I work for. Smile
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2006 at 8:32pm

Ikay-try a plastic spatula, they should come up easy. I did some apple slices dipped in sugar and they stuck to my screens.

HoosierMom View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HoosierMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2006 at 4:43am
After experimenting with my bananas,  i found for longterm storage you have to dry them ( and other things) completely, until no more bendy or pliable type tissue remains.  If you are going to eats the bananas ( or whatever your processing ) in the next few days or so you can leave them more pliable/leathery.  I did a huge bunch of bananas and followed the directions from the dehyd. and after about 12 days they grew mold, even in airtight container.  I had the same happen with strawberries.  Just in case ( since we love straw.) i put the last batch in the freezer, thinking they still take up less room and if we lost power they would probably be good for a week at least at room temp.  Let them cool compltly before trying to remove them from trays.  and try to slice all the same thickness, i have opened my trays removed dried iterms and cont. drying pieces that are still leathery.

I think the key is to experiment with your drying times as the humid. and temp. has an effect on the  amount of drying your food needs...wishing you all the best   Hoosiermom.Smile
honeybee View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2006 at 7:01pm
Hope everyone had a great holiday weekend!

It's back to the real world for me now.

Tonight I made Apple Pie in a Jar.  Smells great.  I am going to make small Fried Apple Pie this weekend and see how it tastes.

Our raspberries are coming in strong right now - made my first batch of jelly for the season.  Added some wild black raspberries we had and it tastes great.

I have a feeling I will never be able to bring myself to buy store bought bread, jelly, etc anymore...Thumbs Up
Honeybee
honeybee View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2006 at 8:12am
HELP!

I just realized that when I made the apple pie in a jar last night, I never stirred in the lemon juice.

What it is for?

Have I ruined the batch (in terms of flavor), or maybe I should just use it up this weekend for apple pies, because it won't store well?

Thanks for your advice!
Honeybee
roxy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roxy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2006 at 8:27am
Honeybee the use of lemon juice is to prevent the darkening of the fruit, i don't know about your recipe, but  that is usually the reason. so the apples in your jars, are brown looking? when you cut an apple open leave it open to the air, it darkens, the lemon juice helps to prevent this, keeps the fruit fresh looking. re cannig them now ,I don't  think will lighten them up. have to use the lemon juice when cutting then up , roxy
roxy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roxy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2006 at 8:29am
 I don't think it will change the taste,or spoil, just the look of the apples roxy
lkay View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2006 at 9:02am
Honeybee, the lemon juice adds acidity. I canned tomatoes this weekend and to make them more acidic I was suppose to add 1 tab. lemon juice. I believe it's important in making the apples last. I may be wrong but I think the lemon juice was an important ingredient for long term storage.
honeybee View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2006 at 9:25am
Thanks all.  I am only storing for 2, so I didn't make quarts. I cut them smaller and used the tall jelly jars.

The apples are nice and white right now.  I am storing my canning in an old refrigerator in the basement, so I will put these on the shelf for first use.

ROXY - I know exactly what you mean about that - so I didn't understand why they have you mix it in the syrup, none said to sprinkle it on the apples.  I guess in the long run, it has the same effect.

As far as the instructions of putting the apples in the jars, and pouring the syrup in - what a joke!  lol  My first jar was a sticky gooey mess, my hands, utensils, counter, towel, inside and outside of the jar.

I dumped all the apples and started over with a few in each jar, add some syrup, and alternate until done.

Also, when they say leave an inch believe them.  They filled up my space and one jar actually leaked syrup.

And so I live and learn with the first batch, at least its still tasty! I still have another batch of apples to do it right.

Thanks for all your help!
Honeybee
honeybee View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2006 at 9:59am
Question:

I have buttermilk I don't want to waste, and the fried pie dough I use calls for it.

Is the any reason I can't make the fried apple pies and pop them in the freezer until I am ready to eat them?

I should probably thaw them before frying so the dough doesn't cook before the apples thaw and heat.

Thanks again!
Honeybee
Rocky View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2006 at 1:43pm
I am trying to prep as if I didn't have a refrigerator. And I don't have a free standing freezer anyway. Here is a question or two. Do you think buying a used, non-working freezer or refrigerator (which would be best) would do anything to help protect canned foods or root veggies from heat and below freezing weather. I would just be using it as storage, not any plug in for cooling. It would have to be out in the carport (covered and protected) because there is no room in our house. I guess my question is, could the insulation in either be enough to keep temperatures at a more moderate level, enough to do some good in preserving canned goods.

I bought butter and am ready to can it. I keep reading pros and cons about the safety of this venture. I will can in small amounts because as I said, once something is opening in this house during an emergency I can't count on it being refrigerated. We will have from 2 - 12 people here. Makes prepping a real challenge.

Thanks for your thoughts. Rocky

The apples are nice and white right now.  I am storing my canning in an old refrigerator in the basement, so I will put these on the shelf for first use.

[
Prepare for the Unexpected!
Rocky
http://www.homeemergencyusa.com
Rocky View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2006 at 1:54pm
I have been unable to find a source for unsalted butter in bulk. I found salted butter at Costco in large bricks. Any ideas. I am 6 hours from Seattle so would probably be looking there. rocky

They say the butter is good, but saltier because of the liquid that is boiled out.  Everyone seems happy with the salty butter, others say that they will used unsalted.  I plan to make my next batch half salted, half unsalted, then decide which i like before making more.
]

Prepare for the Unexpected!
Rocky
http://www.homeemergencyusa.com
bellabecky View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bellabecky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2006 at 9:21pm

Does anyone can with the half gallon jars? I've heard they might not heat the middle (in the pressure cooker) & be unsafe? I have a lot of them and was going to use them for stews/soups/chili, etc. Anyone with advice? Thanks!

"IN THE BEGINNING OF A CHANGE THE PATRIOT IS A SCARCE MAN, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a patriot. Mark Twain, 1904
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2006 at 9:29pm
BellaBecky,
Feel safe about pressure canning in your big jars. trust me when I tell you that it will be cooked and sterile after 60-75 minutes under 10 lbs of pressure. You are good to go gal!
pheasant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pheasant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2006 at 12:49pm
    a canning question...i pickled eggs,so how long will they last, and i also pickled eggs with italian dressing mmmmm tasty,but i kept them refrigerated, can i pickle eggs without vinager and store them out of the fridge?
The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself......FDR
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2006 at 3:06pm
pheasant,
You have to use vinegar to pickle. That is the pickle ingredient. I know that when we did homemade pickles they lasted for over a year.refrigeration is not necessary after being pickled. Hope that helps, Jo 
pheasant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pheasant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2006 at 3:46am
   will adding say 1/3 italian dressing and 2/3 vinager work?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2006 at 3:57am
pheasant,
I googled pickled eggs and everything I read said to refrigerate for two weeks and use within a month. I don't think thats right though, I know that where I used to play pool (a small tavern) they just kept them on the counter.
I wouldn't take away any of the vinegar as it is the component that preserves whatever is being pickled. You can add dressing to the mix though I would think for the flavor.
Let me check with dear Mom, who is the fountain of information on anything cooking and I will let you know. Jo
pheasant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pheasant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2006 at 7:05am
    thank you ......i also pickled hotdogs,just awsome with some seasoning
July View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote July Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2006 at 6:10pm
I have quite a few precooked hamburger patties  can these be canned
I have a pressure canner. I was thinking I could break them into pieces and can them?
Thanks!
honeybee View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2006 at 7:32pm
Does anyone use an electric pressure cooker for canning? I have only seen a couple online but don't know of any pros and cons.

They do discern between the pressure cookers you can and can't use for canning.

I have an electric stove and some sites say that is a problem, watching and regulating the heat, so I thought it best to buy an electric one.

Thanks!
Honeybee
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2006 at 9:59pm
not sure if this should be here but it kinda envolves canning. i have 3 pecan tree that produce pecans and 4 trees that have fruit not sure if pears or apples. we dont eat either so they go to waste. if anyone lives near jackson ms and would like some come get them for free. just email me.
honeybee View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2006 at 5:29am

SHERRIE -

Your kindness and generosity belongs where ever it can be found.

I live up north, but wanted to say thank you for reaching out to people.
Honeybee
Bill 100 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill 100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2006 at 4:38pm
Would somebody be kind, to a canning rookie and tell me what the difference is between a presure cooker and a presure canner. I would be very greatfull. I want to can meats.
A storm is coming !
honeybee View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2006 at 4:44pm
Pressure cookers are made for cooking food. 
Some are designed to also be a canner. 
A pressure canner meets the needs of canning your food.
Most canners can also be used as a cooker.

I didn't mean for this to sound like a tongue twister   lol.

I did notice in my searching (I am also in the market for one) two points to watch out for:

Not all pressure cooker/canners (meaning one that does both) will handle quart jars. 

But the canners do because they expect that is what you want.

If you have an electric stove.  (I do)  I was warned that you cannot regulate the temp and pressure as fast and well as a gas stove. If not problems with bad batches, you have headaches moving it on and off the burner as the tempature adjusts. 

I am going to purchase an electric canner.
Honeybee
Bill 100 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill 100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2006 at 4:52pm
Thanks Honeybee, I have a gas stove, and I am using pint jars. I am trying to go as cheap as possible, I don't expect to do alot of canning. Do you think the presure/canner will work on pint jars.
A storm is coming !
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2006 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by lkay lkay wrote:

Honeybee, the lemon juice adds acidity. I canned tomatoes this weekend and to make them more acidic I was suppose to add 1 tab. lemon juice. I believe it's important in making the apples last. I may be wrong but I think the lemon juice was an important ingredient for long term storage.

The Lemon juice helps prevent the Apples from turning brown. When I make pies or other apple dishes, I usually add some orange juice to keep the apples nice and white. If you don't have any juice, just dissolve a vitamin c tablet in water. Same result.

honeybee View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2006 at 5:22pm
I hope others jump into talk to you because I am just trying to buy one myself!

I learned about the differences by searching through google - here is one that might intrest you.

Be sure it has a guage. Some simply say  "can double as a canner".

I did notice that its a little harder to find, but no more expensive to purchase an electric one. And you simply set the guage and don't have to watch that it stays there, the electric canner does that for you.
Honeybee
honeybee View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2006 at 5:27pm
I dumped them all into a big apple pie. Figured its best to store the ones I did right. LOL

Thanks for the insights tho!
Honeybee
Bill 100 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill 100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2006 at 6:09pm
Thanks Honeybee you have helped me alot, best of luck with your prepping.
A storm is coming !
lkay View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2006 at 6:22am
Honeybee and Bill, I canned 14 jars of vegetable soup yesterday. I canned 7 quarts in a pressure canner and 7 in a pressure cooker. Both did the same thing. I was raised up with Mom using a pressure cooker. She would can in it then she would pressure certain food in it at other times. I'm not for sure (I can read my booklet) but I was thinking that my pressure canner said not to cook in it. I'll check if you want me to. I just bought this pressure canner a couple weeks ago at Amazon.com. Here is a link.

The one thing I do love about the canner is the pressure gauge. All the cookers  we have don't have the gauge that you can read the pressure, you just have to more or less "listen" to the jiggle and adjust from that.

I wanted to remind everyone to be very careful. I had a jar break on me yesterday as I was taking it from the stove to the table. The bottom fell out and all the contents hit the floor (hot tomato juice). Luckily only a little splattered on my legs. Best to do most of the moving after it's cooled down alot. It doesn't happen much. That was the first time for me. Just be careful out there!
Bill 100 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill 100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2006 at 9:16am
Thanks lkay, I hope your legs heal quickly.
I had a accident myself yesterday, got up in the middle of the night tripped on my box fan cable. Fell on my tool box, gashed the top of my leg. Cut it about 4" long 1/4" wide. I guess I should have gone and got stitches, but there was very little blood. I use Neosporin that dose pretty good. I'll bet it takes a while to close and heal though.

I guess I need to do better housekeeping.
A storm is coming !
lkay View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2006 at 7:37am
Ouch! Bill.  what a horrible thing to have happen in the middle of the night...anytime actually, but really bad when you're half asleep!  Hope the Neosporin is doing the job. All I had was a couple blisters (and a big mess to clean up) Smile
honeybee View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2006 at 10:52am
Thanks for jumping in!  As I said before, take what I say with tongue in cheek as I am researching for one myself.  I am going to buy the electric one; with all the chaos in my house, I don't want to learn anything new if I don't have to!  lol

I canned raspberry jelly day before yesterday, and a jar lost the bottom as I was putting them in the waterbath.  I didn't want them to cool by starting over so I boiled them anyway.  What a noisey 5 minutes that was!  lol.  The jars sealed ok, but they were all sticky from the jelly water. 

I lucked out with no injuries tho.  I hope you both are healing well!

DUMB QUESTION TIME: Could be that is why I haven't heard it discussed yet...

Setting the stage:  We are in isolation from the BF.  We get word, or think that we could loose the water system soon.

Is there any reason I can't gather all my empty jars and can the faucet water?  It would make good backup...

Waterbath or pressure?
Honeybee
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2006 at 1:00pm

Honeybee,

It's no a bad question....I have half gallon mason jars and was thinking the same thing..... No low acid foods to worry about, so you just need to water bath them for a bit......10 min. or so for me
iamclose View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iamclose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2006 at 12:50pm

I made 35  half pint jars of strawberry figs preserves, peach figs preserves, apricot fig preserves, cherry fig preserves and raspberry fig preserves.  We will be well stocked with jam, jellies and preserves for the next year or two.  If anyone has an over abundance of figs they are really easy to make.  Will be glad to share recipe if anyone would like it. 

honeybee View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2006 at 5:19pm
Yes!  I have lots of raspberries so would you include that recipe too? Maybe I can buy some figs and use my berries :o).

Thanks
Honeybee
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
  Share Topic