Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Treating cytokine storm with nicotine!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Treating cytokine storm with nicotine!
    Posted: May 27 2006 at 10:08am
Scientific American - June 2006
www.sciam.com
Nicotine fights inflammation

Well folks, I am a non-smoker, and I don't own or work for a tobacco company... hell, I am a healthcare worker and would gladly eliminate all tobacco products if I could. But.. that being said, there is a very interesting article on the benefits of nicotine for the downregulation of the cytokine storm that is produced in extreme inflammatory illnesses. The article describes in detail the anti-inflammatory benefits of nicotine and similar "nicotinic type" chemicals on receptors involved in inflammation.
  After reading the article, It made me wonder about the use of nicotine patches in the treatment of H5N1, even if only as a last resort.
  One of the reasons that I am considering this, is that pregnant women are at such high risk, due to the "cytokine storm effect" during pregnancy. Now I especially would never risk the use of any unproven medical treatment in anyone, let alone a pregnant women, but for all of us that have a pregnant daughter, wife, girlfriend, etc. would this be something that may be helpfull in a last ditch attempt to save their lives...I think I would consider it. I might even stock up on some nicotine patches in my preps.
Ready or not, here it comes!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic