Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

The "PANIC" thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The "PANIC" thread
    Posted: June 02 2006 at 10:46am
Hi everyone...I have been going through the forum reading alot and I have noticed that alot of people are nervous, rattled, panicky.....and I have also noticed that others seem a bit put off by some who have expressed these emotions and have asked for the panic to stop.  In my humble opinion, I think that alot of us are tense and a bit more on edge due to the amount and speed of the news on the BF...and I think that expressing these emotions is good.   From my understanding, studies have shown that "bottling up emotions" is bad for your health.  PLEASEEEEEEE everyone remember that alot of our fellow members don't have a family, friend, coworker or anyone else to open up about their feelings on BF...remember that alot of our members are even ridiculed by their families, and friends for even reading about BF.  So, in light of this observation, I'm opening up this thread so that  people can come and let out their fears, worries, emotions, thoughts.  I hope this is the correct place to post this thread. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 10:55am
Very good point & idea, Glow!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 10:58am
I am with you, Glow! Good point.

We all may be in a state of hypervigilance - that can sound like panic, even though the person is not exuding panic in person.

psychopathology: hypervigilance

Enhanced state of sensory sensitivity accompanied by an exaggerated intensity of behaviors whose purpose it is to detect threats.

Also: hyperarousal

Edenfire View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edenfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 11:09am
Thanks Glow! Love it! Clap

I live alone, told two people at work, one is on board and one thinks I'm nuts!  lol

I am a Human Resource Exec at a lg Retail company and feel that by coming here and staying informed I can perhaps help my employees if this does come to pass. Talk about panic! How do you deal with Cashiers who make $7.00 an hour and tell them they should spend money on food for 3 months. Oh.. and by the way, everyone talks about those last minute preps.. how great are those cashiers going to feel as they checkout and take money from hundreds of potentially contagious people... or will they even be there to take your money?

Thanks for the thread and the info everyone. I'll stop in when I'm in panic mode.  =)
When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. And that's my religion. ~Abraham Lincoln 1860
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 11:12am
I have a question that seems fitting to this thread.
Not sure how long this site has been around. But, I'm wondering, Is this sense of anxiety that I feel from the posts a fairly new thing. I mean since the whole Indonesia 'clusters'? Or is it a wave? For instance, (if the site was around) during the time Vietnam had a bunch of people confirmed with the BF, were the members here just as anxious/nervous? I figure since most of the people here have been aware of and following stories for quite awhile, that if they are feeling a lot more anxiety 'this time around', then I will perhaps feel justified in my own nervous feelings...

Thanks!
Glow View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 11:14am
Edenfire....thanks...it was my pleasure to start this thread...I think we needed it.  I for one have been more on edge then usual, and have even been experiencing some insomnia over it.  It hit me hard when this little girl from Indonesia died(7 or 8 yrs old)!!...My daughter is 8....I can't imagine her bieng taken from me in a matter of days....it is scary....I rather talk about  these feelings then to let them give me insomnia or some other physical expression of anxiety(you name it ...all the way from ulcers, to migrane headaches). 
Samoa View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Samoa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 11:24am
It is hard not to get nervous, rattled and panicky, although I prefer the term "concerned".  Lately I've started to think that we're all going to get a lot more nervous, rattled and panicky before this is over.  Has anyone seen any news to the POSITIVE lately?  
P'ColaPrepper View Drop Down
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P'ColaPrepper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 11:35am
I for one am certainly feeling hyper-vigilant.  Seems to me since the clusters in Indonesia have begun to make the news, as well as the shipment of tamiflu being sent out and Roche being asked to ready it's world supply...everyone might ought to be feeling this way.  I've recently been carrying around my last minute list every day I leave the house in case I have a chance to stop somewhere to pick up some more supplies. Oh yeah, I'm one of those front-line cashiers someone else mentioned and when you come to my storeI have a feeling very soon, you won't find me there!
DAX COM View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAX COM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 12:44pm
Allright.  For myself, let me state for the record that the only thing I am worried about is the huge majority of people who aren't doing anything whatsoever to prepare and  how we are going to address that problem.

Personally, I'm good to go.  I know what I am up against.  I know what it takes to survive.  I have the preps, gear, and the skill sets required.  No need to panic, but this is wearing on me.
Dax
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 12:55pm
And that is a big worry. As this goes on, the thought of the 94% of people (in this country) that aren't prepared at all is a big concern. Even if we as individuals are ready, and even if there isn't civil disorder that we have all at least imagined, the thought of watching so many be hit by something this big without much warning is going to be very hard. As frustrated as I get with people not being concerned and taking action, I don't want to see anyone suffer. The more prepared my family is, the more concerned I get for others. Hopefully all this new news will get more to listen and take action.      Deep breaths... Don't forget to let it out too!
HOPEFLOATS View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HOPEFLOATS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 12:56pm

I am concerned that what we have prepped will not be enough. We have 2 months worth and add to that a few times a week. We also were and are in big debt paycheck to paycheck. We have been making changes and are slowly paying things off that should have been paid off long ago but with trying to do everything we have nothing saved. I just keep telling myself one step at a time right.

DAX COM View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAX COM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by HOPEFLOATS HOPEFLOATS wrote:

I am concerned that what we have prepped will not be enough. We have 2 months worth and add to that a few times a week. We also were and are in big debt paycheck to paycheck. We have been making changes and are slowly paying things off that should have been paid off long ago but with trying to do everything we have nothing saved. I just keep telling myself one step at a time right.

I am having a moving sale over the weekend.  Bear in mind I'm not moving across 1000 miles and a mountain range till Fall, but.......
It makes sense to loose a bunch of stuff now that I don't want to haul 1000 miles, to do it before we start having deaths here in the US, and I can certainy do with one color television instead of three.
Any guesses as to what the profit over the next two days will be spent on? Anyone?

If I can do without it, it'll be sold this weekend.  Company may be sitting on the floor,  I may have to eat standing up at the kitchen counter or at my desk after shoving multiple keyboards away to clear a space big enough for a plate...Added plus to having the sale now?  I don't have to wear a NBC to do it.
Dax
RedTea View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedTea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 1:56pm
I'm afraid that I'm driving everyone away with my constant pandering about BF. Even family and friends who are prepping are horrified by the amount of time I spend perusing messageboards like this one, and by my sudden revelations during grocery shopping. It's getting lonely here, and a part of me feels that I should get used to being lonely just in case...
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort!
pheasant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pheasant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 2:00pm
hi i use this forum to vent ....i have no one else to talk to im getting lonly in this 6.7x7.3 bunker,food is good water is plentyful...plenty of tp....but i forgot the lids for the buckets......... when i pulled the one way door closed it clicked....i hope the rice paper note i left on my neibors car for him to come and let me know when this is over gets found before the sprinklers kick on........cough..cough...i think i forgot to pull of the plastic bubble wrap off of my o2 vent before i closed the door......ill communicate with you all later......im not panickng.....just hyperventalating....
The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself......FDR
DAX COM View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAX COM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by RedTea RedTea wrote:

I'm afraid that I'm driving everyone away with my constant pandering about BF. Even family and friends who are prepping are horrified by the amount of time I spend perusing messageboards like this one, and by my sudden revelations during grocery shopping. It's getting lonely here, and a part of me feels that I should get used to being lonely just in case...
Welcome to reality, lol.
Dax
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 2:09pm
Thank you for the thread.
i am a single parent with a sick realive who needs home care.   
Everyone around me is in denial I dont tell anyone I am prepping because I am afraid they will expect me to have food for them.   

I was getting depressed and gaining weight and just feeling terrified , I got locked into a negative cycle . I now exercise two hours a day and eat more vegetables daily and my depression lifted. I now feel more prepared to tackle the situation better.

I now realize prepping in silence is my only recourse. I feel that I need to take care of my health agressively helps me feel stronge.

MelodyAtHome View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelodyAtHome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 2:16pm
RedTea and anyone else feeling this way...I'm right with you. I check this board whenever I can day or night if I'm home. When I go to the store I'm always thinking about what I can put in my stash. I'm checking any news site to see if I can find the latest. So you are not alone. Post away here. This is why we are all here so we can talk about this and get our worries out of our system and to prepare.Smile
Melody
Emergency Preparedness 911
http://emergencypreparedness911.blogspot.com/
DAX COM View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAX COM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by Deanna Deanna wrote:

Thank you for the thread.
i am a single parent with a sick realive who needs home care.   
Everyone around me is in denial I dont tell anyone I am prepping because I am afraid they will expect me to have food for them.   

I was getting depressed and gaining weight and just feeling terrified , I got locked into a negative cycle . I now exercise two hours a day and eat more vegetables daily and my depression lifted. I now feel more prepared to tackle the situation better.

I now realize prepping in silence is my only recourse. I feel that I need to take care of my health agressively helps me feel stronge.

Deanna, you are talking to a man who just this morning bought two packages of Kotex maxi-pads, 18 ct, because I couldn't find any suitable compression bandages when I went looking for them....LOL  You'll be fine.  You're doing what you need to do.  That's what counts.
Dax
RedTea View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedTea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 2:23pm
You know, Dax, maxipads are quite effective as bandages really. Kudos to you for thinking of them as an option! *slinks away to re-evaluate the number of feminine hygine products in her stock*Tongue
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 2:30pm
Great idea Glow.  This is a wonderful way for a lot of us to let go of that awful nagging feeling.Clap
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HOPEFLOATS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 3:19pm
Dax we had a sale the first of May and done rather well so we took 1/2 for preps and 1/2 for bills that needed paid. We have sold quit a bit of stuff and I am sure I could find some more but I am down to fighting hubby over the things he thinks he needs but never uses. I talked him into selling the Xbox a couple of weeks ago so now we are down to one game system. I think I worry so much since we have 5 kids here between 4-16. We did plant a small garden this year which seems to be doing great so far and I will be learning how to put up tomatoes and stuff.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 4:58pm

OKAY, my turn to let loose. I prepare so I don’t panic. Then I hear all these “last-minute-lists” and I panic that I don’t have a list.

My thoughts: If the announcement comes that bird flu is in America, do I want to go to the store? Has the person next to me just arrive from???? Okay, so I decide to go to the store, do I don protective gear? Masks, gloves, maybe a gown, what about shoes, hair, what if the person sneezes next to me – do I Lysol her? UGH, then I get arrested for assault or maybe for wearing a mask to the store, gas station, BANK???? TOO MUCH, I think I’ll go have some Herbal tea.

Nope, no last minute lists for me. I’m adding every week; I have the basics, the extras, and some goodies. Paid off the mortgage yesterday. Got to get some extra cash for the empty coffee can I’ve buried in the backyard. I just can’t have a last minute list, If I need it, think I’ll need it, or want it, I’m working on the dream list now for when I get enough money, not some list I should have filled when I had time and money. Folks get the stuff as soon as you have the cash. (You gave me permission to let loose, I feel so much better, thank you.)

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 4:58pm
A "PANIC" thread!  Just what I needed.....I read through all of your posts and we are not nuts,were not crazy,just wise.  I can relate to that alone thing....but we have each other right here!

I also see others like myself who don't have much to spend....ALMOST ALL OF MY PREPS have come from dollar type stores.  Food/paper products/meds/water you name it.

I also see someone has sold their "game systems"?  My kids would shot me and plant me in the back yard and eat my preps for that one!LOL

I started to panic today after reading the Indonesia updates....so,I took a long hot bath,listened to my favorite CD's,took my kids out to eat and tried to enjoy the good things while I can.  Saturday I will dye my hair,play in the pool and feel totally guilty.  When the guilt arrives I will plant/prep/store more.....I can feel the guilt already!  HELPLOL
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HOPEFLOATS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 5:09pm
LOL rapture it wasn't my sons he still has his it was my hubby's LOL my son would have a heart attack.
Edenfire View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edenfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 5:21pm
Rapture,

I think that if I feel panic I will come here and take a look at the pic you have displayed for your posts. How can that not make you smile and forget the panic a bit?

LOL
When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. And that's my religion. ~Abraham Lincoln 1860
Mayy View Drop Down
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mayy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 5:21pm

I don't feel panic but here are things that cause me a bit of stress...

Seeing that WHO has another phase chart that goes from containing virus at phase 3...and 4 is ....spreading internationally.

Sending tamiflu to an ...unknown Asian country

Pres. asking for discussion of using troops during pandemic

WHO not letting out H5N1 info

Thinking about healthcare workers getting it
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 5:36pm
My latest fear is I noticed earthquakes are increasing, I dont know for sure , but since Ive been checking the earth map I noticed more and more. It makes me worry because I feed they are a bad combination.
Valgard View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valgard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 5:48pm
I've been following the evolution of the BF menace for about 8 months now, and everytime there is a new wave of infections, family clusters, WHO and CDC announcements, I DO get nervous, but so far I haven't "panicked". I've got a large extended family whom I feel responsible for, about 20 people, they are ALL aware of the danger, but precious few have done anything of substance to prepare.

I am absolutely convinced that this plague will advance worldwide in time and that we will all be in the fight of our lives.  We can only hope and pray that we are given some more time to prepare.

Panic no, nervous yes...but we must all keep going!
Do Right and Fear Not
Glow View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 6:20pm
Valgard, I  have that same feeling about this as you call it "menace"....I do believe it will come.  I too am prepping for others outside my immediate family....my mom is tops on my list because she is elderly and I find it my moral duty.  Also I have my brother who lives with her to think about because he is an alcoholic and well, people like him tend to be careless in nature...and God knows that I have had some sleepless nights about his "possible recklessness".  But lately my greatests fear are my children...hearing all these children dying just breaks my heart...I can't imagine these mother's and father's grief.  It's as you say though, we "must keep going on".  Ones stress reliever for me has been prepping. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 6:23pm
Not panic'ed, Not Preparing...I just don't feel like it...I went camping last weekend and it felt so good to get away from the birdflu that I've decided to take an extended amount of time to just chill...

I'm reading the news...listening to all of you and loving the compansion that I'm reading...

Good for us...

I have done my small mini heart attacks.....and I'm sure they'll be back, but for right now...Im playing in the pool w/ kids and enjoying the sunshine.

For thous of you who feel a lone your not...were right here...

I will continue to prep just not right now....

Tomarrow's another day...I'll be back here if I panic...I promise.Big smile
Dualis View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dualis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 6:46pm
I am constantly anxious, but trying to keep perspective as now is not the time to panic.

Not time to think about how good or bad it is going to be... just keep prepping.

Is it going to be so bad as too fold my work place?.... nope... got to plan for feeding and living through many months of possible quarintine without emotionally getting carried away that most of my freinds and family aren't preparing for it

Just like that little voice I use to refocus my-self when I get lost staring at the shower wall in the morning because my mind is still in bed.

I think I will finally panic when I am on the "throne" and I realize that I forgot the TP again, and this time I really needed it
Weeping Willow View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weeping Willow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 8:20pm
 OK when i feel over whelmed and stressed i come here and visit all the threads 1 i dont feel as lonley 2 i keep up to date on the latest 3 there is always a laugh or two to be found amoung people here well and there is #4 i can't spell worth a hoot and my spell checker does not seem to work oh well  i still enjoy being here
zipporah View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zipporah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 9:00pm

Just look on the good side if this bird flu never shows, we will owe less money, have food to eat , and learned alot. So what did we loose by doing this? Nothing and look at what we may have gained. We haven't hurt anyone and will be able to help our families, so I think we are on the right path.

Faith is being sure of what we hope for

and certain of what we do not see.

liilac View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liilac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 9:24pm
We are on a tight budget and if the bird flu hits i really can't see us going in to isolation.i think we would just keep going to our jobs until there were no jobs left to go to.We will still have bills coming in and mortgage to pay.We will have to hope that we won't be that percentage that contracts bird flu.I don't panic so much now.still got lots to do to prep but whittling away at it and obviously got lots more than those who have'nt started yet.great idea Glow.Thanks
liilac
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 9:33pm

It's always been my nature not to panic before or during, it's always after, then I fall apart. This time I do feel some anxiety though, I can't think of any one event in my life that was bigger or scarier than this. Well when my daughter choked on her steak one time, that was really scary, I swear I was speaking in tongues. My firefighter/rescue husband was there and he was able to do the Heimlich on her. It just seemed like it took forever. We had just had one of our friends die of choking two weeks prior to that, so even more scary. I'm mostly worried about the people that haven't prepared. Are they going to try to steal from me? Will they make it all the way out to my house? I have these little daydream scenarios where I imagine what could happen and how I would react to the situation. Does anyone else do that? I've always done it, the thing is that the scenario's I imagine usually don't happen, so that's good. I also worry that what if I didn't prepare enough? What if I prepared enough but one of the kids breaks a leg or something? This is a crazy thing, but I've always done this too, I imagine one of my kids getting killed like getting hit by a car, then I cry.  It's not that I try to do it, it just pops in my head. I guess that’s the greatest fear of a mother. When my kids were real little and in car seats, I would strap them all in and head to the store. On the way there a railroad crossing, back then it didn't have a light and several people were killed there because you couldn't see the train coming very well, you had to pull way up to the tracks to see, then if one was coming you'd be too close to the tracks. One day, I pulled up to see if a train was coming and it was, so I started to back up quick and there was a car that had pulled right up to my bumper and I hit it. It didn't cause a dent or anything in either car and no one was hurt but the woman I hit, she kept yelling at me. Now, here I am with my kids in the van, a train is roaring by, and this train track was my current biggest fear. I told her my kids were in the car and I had to back up because we were too close to the tracks. She just kept yelling, and saying she didn't care if I had kids in my car, I shouldn't have backed into her car. Like what was I supposed to do get hit by the train so I wouldn't bump her car?  I don't know what happened to me, I just lost it, next thing I knew I had grabbed her arms and shook her. I'm not a very big woman, I'm only 5'2 and she was a lot bigger than me, but I guess I must have looked like a loon because she just said 'let go of me' then she just got back in her car and told me to forget it through the crack in her window.  Let me tell you, that is not the way I am, I'm one of the most non-violent people you'd ever meet. In that moment though I felt for some reason that she was a threat to my children, even though they were safe. Right now I feel a little like I did that day, even though they're safe right now. Don't worry I don't feel violent, just that same kind of feeling, like my kids are too close to the train.

Whew, that was a little more than what I intended to say, I doubt very many people will get this far into my post but thanks for the opportunity to vent here.

Gexydaf View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gexydaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 9:38pm
Reminds me of the dialog in Toy Story when all looks bad for our heroes.

Buzz
: This is no time to panic.
Woody: This is a perfect time to panic!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2006 at 2:15am
Rodin33,
I can so relate to some of the things you write about. I often imagine what would happen if..." Like, what would happen if my child were to loose her balance right now, as she's doing some goofy kid thing... and play out the possibility in my mind. I always figured it was a good thing, to think ahead to what could happen. Now I imagine if TSHTF, and how would my family get through it. It has helped me to prepare. I am not afraid of dying, but the idea of watching my family suffer is not acceptable. I will do whatever I can to avoid that. And imaging what could happen helps me to prepare. As I tell my husband, I don't mind dying, but I sure don't want to be uncomfortable! ;-)
Type doesn't really communicate the feeling. Don't get me wrong, I am doing all I can to avoid that outcome too!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2006 at 3:41am
WHO not regularly posting their BF stats

Indonesia falling apart and refusing health care access

Inadequate antiviral supply

No vaccine

Web food supply stores delaying shipments

Talk of martial law

WHY WOULD ANYONE PANIC???
Funeral Dir. View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Funeral Dir. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2006 at 5:23am
   Hello everyone, I am new to the forum. I think this is a great place to share information and ideas. I am in the funeral business so you can trust my posts. I will not post anything to cause panic. I will only post true and accurate information as it comes to me from the different authorities. Right now the funeral industry is organizing and planning for a flu pandemic. We are being asked to plan either for Avian flu or one of the other types of flu strains that could cause an epidemic. Funeral directors are sometimes "first responders" but not always. It is usually the coronor's office that sends someone to a residence to pronounce someone deceased. I hope that all the coronor's offices around the world are being told what to look for in an Avian Flu victim. If all of the coroners are well versed perhaps that will help keep the flu from spreading so rapidly. We ARE being told that it is not a question of "if" but "when." Panic serves no purpose so find a way to calm yourself down if you find that you are getting into that state of mind. Watch for my posts because I am here to give you a head's up if need be.

Peace and Blessings.
Grace
F.E.A.R. "False Evidence Appearing Real"
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2006 at 5:34am
Grace, a hearty welcome to you! Your very first post is loaded with information already. Thank you for your input.

May God shine his face upon you on this wonderfully healthy day.

stockmama View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stockmama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2006 at 7:27am
This is truly a great and much needed thread.  Although I am getting more comfortable with the amount of preps we have, there is always something that gets posted here that makes me realize I've forgotton something!

I don't think  I can truly say how we (family) will react until it actually happens.  If I waste my mental capacities on fretting at this stage, I may miss something vital, so I try to keep a cool head.  I have a tendency to "impulse shop" when I am stressing, and that would be a waste of prep money....I am a slow learner...last time the electricity went out for three days, I hit panic mode and spent 150.00 on preps (before I knew about BF --didn't know that they were preps)  and by the time I got home from the store, the electricity was back on!! LOL

Here's my take right now, I spent an hour in the Doctors office yesterday, looking at the ultrasound pictures of the little one---only 12 weeks---10 finger, 10 toes, (dont' see an extra "toe" yet, so we don't know if it's a boy or girl)  and I all came together for me.....life is a miracle....I have no control whatsoever in determining what is to happen.....I have every ability however, to determine how I respond.   I know the odds of pregnancy and young children as it pertains to this, however...I have to believe that it will be as it should, I have done my part, and the rest is up to  something much bigger than myself.

PS....found a name!  Boy or Girl....how about  L'Oiseau?  (bird) to go with 2 1/2 year old big brother Jean-Paul?  Tongue

Thanks for all the good you are doing...some of you have no idea how much you touch people's lives, including my own.
Linda View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2006 at 7:44am
Ok I'm one of the guilty ones who have posted the "don't Panic" sign. I come here so I won't panic....I'm a single mom and that's scary enouph....I never get anything done till  the last minute and I'm proud of myself for starting to prepare. I think we could last about 3 months on what I have now. I got my tamiflu in last week and there was such a relief....like a big burdon liften that I didn't even know was there...It's just 30 tabs but I look at my son and I think it's enough because it might be enough to save him. We all have our own way of stressing and panicking and I think when I tell others not to panic that is my way. I want them to say...ok you are right...this is nothing...it's ok....they might not even be panicking but I read posts sometimes and I feel that weight coming back...the one that the tamiflu lifted and I want it taken away....I don't know if that makes sence. 
Insanity is making the same mistakes and expecting different results....therefore...Those who don't learn from history are bound to go insane.
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelodyAtHome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2006 at 8:37am
Strider...you took the words right out of my mouthSmile This is EXACTLY how I feel. I don't mind dying but I'd like to die in comfort and I don't want my family to die or suffer.
Melody
Glow View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2006 at 8:54am
Linda, what you say makes absolutely perfect sense.  We all have different coping skills.    Thank you for posting!
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelodyAtHome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2006 at 9:09am
I only have 1 box of Tamiflu that I was able to convince my hubby's dr. to give me(I didn't mention BF) just said in case hubby gets flu so we don't have to drive in town to see him. HE didn't want to prescribe to us but he did with a lot of convincing. I'm afraid it won't work but at least we have 1 to try if we need...we have 2 kids...I am wondering what amount to give them...this 1 box is for adult....but I thought I heard somewhere that an adult would have to take a double dose for it to work against BF? Anybody hear about this? If this is true then 1 box would be considered double dose for a 4-6 year old? I would try to call our dr. first if the bf hits and before we have to use it but I have a feeling I won't be able to get through to anyone that is why I'd like to know ahead of time. Just in case.
Melody
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic