Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Household and Human Waste Disposal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NZ er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Household and Human Waste Disposal
    Posted: June 10 2006 at 2:13pm
Interested to hear what others plans are regarding disposal of toilet waste if/once water is not available.Will you use your precious stored water to flush??? Households are likely to be at max capacity ..with added family and friends hunkering down together and this will cause a huge problem if the water goes down. There is also the added problem if someone in household becomes ill, as bodily waste/fluids will carry disease. I have been thinking about this and thought I would bucket water from the pool for this event..but what are others plans?? Perhaps bury waste in garden?.. not everyone has one. Also been thinking of usual household rubbish disposal, tins, jars etc (from preps) guess we will bury these in our garden. What of those that live in apartments? 
Land of the Long White Cloud
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2006 at 2:50pm
Actually I thought of this. About 3 weeks ago, my hot water heater broke and I had it replaced. They had to turn off the water for about 2 hours. During that time, of course I needed to use the bathroom, anyway, I began to think about what I would do if they turned off the water during a pandemic. I guess we would use buckets, dig a hole in the yard and dump it. We do have a lake in our neighborhood where I suppose I could get water for flushing. I would not use my stored water. Anyway it would be a problem.
Bill 100 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill 100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2006 at 2:57pm
I would dig a hole, I have a bag of lime. That is supose to neutralize it.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2006 at 3:01pm
For flushing I would use the water in my waterbed, after that is gone.. a hole dug in the backyard. I hope the water comes on before the hole has to be dug.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2006 at 3:01pm
We could all just put up a little building, with a half moon on the door.
NZ er View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NZ er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2006 at 3:10pm
Back to the dreaded.. 'long drop' Dead
Land of the Long White Cloud
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2006 at 3:17pm
I live on about ten acres and all the land around is my husbands family so I suppose we'll form a sort of extended compound. My idea is that we'll probably designate an area away from our homes and dig a hole.
Scotty View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2006 at 3:25pm
Its not so much the problem of where to put it; the real problem is how to get it there. We tend to use polythene carrier bags in the U.K. and I've been saving them for more than a year now for that very purpose.

People with only a small patch of ground may be forced to bury the stuff but those of you with land would do better to leave it where ultra-violet light can break it down naturally. This is more ecologically sound.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2006 at 3:29pm
Old thread in the Priority Preparations forum with suggestions about  Sanitation:

If your toilet is drained and dry, an open heavy plastic bag could be placed in the bowl and tied, with the seat then set down. Sprinkling hamster shavings or sawdust in the bag between uses might work. Of course, then there is the problem of disposing of a filled up bag.

In my climate there is no way a hole could be dug outside in winter. The ground is frozen solid.
KwaiChangCaine View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KwaiChangCaine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2006 at 3:43pm
My house has a septic system, and a creek 50 feet away for flushing water if needed.  If that fails there are always 5 gallon buckets and garbage bags that can be burried behind the garage (Got buckets and bags?).  This house also had an outhouse until 1969, the lady that lived here before me could teach us a lot...
Bill 100 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill 100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2006 at 3:49pm
Most people could fix something up in their bathroom. Take one of those cheap white plastic chairs you use outside. I think they sell them at wal-mart for $5. Cut a hole in the seat, put a bucket under it. Then have a hole dug outside, empty the bucket when needed. If you live in a apartment I don't know what to say. Unless there is a field near by.

You would be using your bathroom, and an out house can be kinda cold in the winter time.
Cygnet View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cygnet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2006 at 3:55pm
If your sewage system is nonfunctional for some reason, you can revert to an outhouse if you've got a backyard.

Make the building reasonably portable. Hole doesn't need to be overly deep. Dump a scoop of ashes, or lime if you've got it, down the hole after each use to keep the odor down. Spray occasionally for spiders with raid, as needed. Spiders love outhouses. Also you can dispose of nonburnable waste in the hole -- plastics, metals, glass, etc. This is long and time-honored country tradition. ;)

When the hole is mostly full, dig a new hole, move your privy building to the new hole, shovel dirt over the old hole.

As far as trash goes, (safely) burn anything paper, cardboard, etc. You might want to pick up a clean 55 gallon steel drum from somewhere and use it for storing supplies (not food) until you need it as a burn barrel. For burning paper, cover it with a piece of hardware cloth to cut down on the amount of flying embers.

Solid human waste can also be composted and used in a garden.

If you don't live in a place where you can have a privy, I would hazard a guess that you could compost it, or burn it in a burn barrel with your trash once it's been allowed to dry for a bit. (Note: manure stinks badly when burning. Fair warning. It does, however, burn. Given that dog doo burns when dry I'll assume that human doo does as well.)

A bigger concern I would have would be for those of you with an uphill run to your regional sewer plant ... if the power is out for a prolonged period of time, you may have bigger issues than what to do with just YOUR sewage!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2006 at 4:02pm

Under the preparation section, there is a post called "Porta Potty" -- I'm going to use the PETT by Phillips with waste bags using pooh-powder.  (See other post.)

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2006 at 6:38pm

I thought about this too when my water was turned off due to a broken line in the master bath this past summer. I purchased a 5 gallon bucket that has a toilet lid attached. It ran around $30 with s/h.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2006 at 7:43pm
I have 2 commodes because my husband is paralyzed (sp?). I would use a tall kitchen bag in the bucket, then grocery bags as removable liners. If one isn't big enough, or breaks, I have the stronger bag under it.

For disposal we do have a garden where we could dig a hole, and use lime. I would not put the plastic bags in the hole, so that the solids would decompose. (Use another of those grocery bags in place of latex gloves to shake the solids out into the ground, then dispose of both soiled bags . . haven't figured out where yet, maybe another large strong bag.)

However, one of those 35 gal. plastic buckets that fishermen love can substitute for a commode if none of the above suggestions is possible, or thought of too late, with plastic bag liner. Kitty litter might be something to use in bag before disposal??

Apartment living: use same system as above, with LOTS of kitty litter, shavings, lime in bags. When disposing of smaller bags containing waste, put in strongest large heavy duty black lawn and leaf bag possible. Tie top of this bag TIGHTLY but so it can be reopened to add other small bags. Lots of lime, etc. Don't make it heavier than the strongest person can move. Identify one area (closet, extra room, apartment trash room if you are lucky) and deposit large bag there. If someone is going in and out to work, have that person take the full bag to an isolated area outdoors, if one can be found. Dumpster, empty lot, perhaps the neighborhood will designate an area for refuse, sort of by default (everyone will dump their waste in one place??). I don't know if any of this makes sense; sort of working it out as I type. Some of you may be able to see the holes in my plan, please shout them out. Thanks.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2006 at 8:28pm
Ill use old bath water/dish water/cleaning water and water from rain barrels to flush.Wink
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2006 at 8:34pm
You could always do your business in a bucket and chuck it out the window or door. The smell should help detour would be looters. Of course I really dont for see the water system breaking down, unless its in the winter and not enough workers are available to make repairs.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2006 at 11:18pm
What would a community water system do if they ran out of chlorine? Would they stop water service? Or would they keep the untreated water flowing?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2006 at 11:26pm
another example is latrine duty

you have half a 44 gallon drum and you use it for a toilet and after a couple of days some deisel fuel and burning paper will get it to burn away

this can be seen in Jar Head and Platoon - latrine duty - ask any grunt
Scotty View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2006 at 2:49am
Aurora: THAT is an interesting question. Logically they would continue to supply water. In practice the risk of law suits might take precedence unless governments can step in to provide legal immunity. I don't know, but most of us would prefer dirty water to none at all.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2006 at 6:32am
Hi Scotty,

After Hurricaine Floyd flooded the Elizabeth, NJ water treatment facility, they kept pumping so you could flush the toilet, but warned all residents not to drink or bathe with the water.

You could always tell who ignored the warning, by their puffy red eyes (eye infections)  Ophth. did a booming business that month.

I like to PETT toilet since it folds like a briefcase and no one knows what it is until you take it out to use it.
TxCowboy View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TxCowboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2006 at 6:42am
We have an aerobic septic system.  There is a large lid that the septic company opens to treat it occasionally.  Could you just open that lid and dump waste in it????
ToniD.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2006 at 7:59am

Please keep in mind that diesel and kerosene do not create explosive vapors unlike gasoline. Take necessary precautions when using gasoline otherwise you will be going to the hospital with burns. I have seen several people in my lifetime use gasoline on campfires not knowing of its explosive nature.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2006 at 8:28am

BoJingles,

Thanks for that warning. I hope everyone sees it. Most people are not in the habit of burning things, so might not be aware of the dangers. Maybe we should have a thread under the prep forum about dangers involved in SIP.
Cygnet View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cygnet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2006 at 10:25am

Good point, BoJingles, and thanks for the reminder. Those of us who are "country" tend to forget that not everyone has a burn barrel in the back yard ...

For the record, never use gasoline to start a burn barrel if you're burning trash. Just don't.

1. It can explode suddenly, if the vapors catch all at once. Rather large fireball.

2. If there are embers left from the last time you used the burn barrel and you pour gasoline over the new batch of trash in it, the old embers can unexpectedly ignire the gas before you can get back.

(My grandfather ended up with third degree burns on his hand after he thought a campfire had gone out and poured gas over the logs to try to start it again. There was a burning ember in there somewhere and it flashed on him.)

3. Gas burns very hot and very dramatically and can ignite stuff at a surprising distance from radiant heat.

A better choice is to pour used cooking oil over cardboard and use THAT to start your fire. Burns less intensly, but is more than enough to get dry trash going. Diesel or kerosene as mentioned will work.

Be careful whatever you use -- burn barrels are one of the leading causes of wildfires out here.

Leva

Originally posted by BoJingles BoJingles wrote:

<FONT style=": #222222">Please keep in mind that diesel and kerosene do not create explosive vapors unlike gasoline. Take necessary precautions when using gasoline otherwise you will be going to the hospital with burns. I have seen several people in my lifetime use gasoline on campfires not knowing of its explosive nature.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic