Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

What foods are you stockpiling

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote July Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What foods are you stockpiling
    Posted: June 12 2006 at 6:01am
Was wondering what type of foods you all are stockpiling.
Someone posted that the freeze dried my not have a lot of nutrients. But it does have the advantage of long term storage without power.
I agree that fresh is best but under these situations that may not be an option.

Rice
Beans
oats

MelodyAtHome View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelodyAtHome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2006 at 6:56am
So far I mainly have canned type things I get cheap at Marc's a discount store. I plan on buying powdered eggs, flour, sugar from one of the sites someone menioned that I can't remember off the top of my head. I do have powdered milk, bisquick, lots of cereals, cream of wheat, oatmeal, mac and chees, rice-a-roni, raviolis, etc...I have a long way to go still though.
Melody
Emergency Preparedness 911
http://emergencypreparedness911.blogspot.com/
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2006 at 7:35am
Originally posted by July July wrote:

Someone posted that the freeze dried my not have a lot of nutrients.

Actually, that's untrue. I meant to post to refute that claim made by that poster, but got side-tracked talking about the nutritional value of peanut butter.

Dehydrated food retains more of its nutrients than either frozen or canned foods.

Here's a chart comparing the nutritional value of canned, frozen and dehydrated foods:

Read the notes that follow the charts.

The following page actually may be more useful:

If you click on any of the dehydrated foods, you'll see nutritional values PER SERVING.
purplepanther View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purplepanther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2006 at 7:42am
I have oats,rice sugar,flour pancake mix, canned  veg, wheat,sphaghetti and other stufrf I got some things through  Emergency Essential and you can get some stuff through honeyville grain
July View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote July Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2006 at 7:51am
Thanks for the links
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2006 at 8:01am

With everything I have been putting away for this, I keep going back and  can Butter, Butter, and more butter.  I'm out of control.  I guess I figure it will enhance most all of the preps with flavor and added energy value.  Either that or I'm just nuts.....

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2006 at 8:18am
aw mary your not nuts.I keep stocking up wishing for butter.Wink cant imagine cooking without it.
MelodyAtHome View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelodyAtHome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2006 at 8:19am
Talking about nuts I'm going to go buy some today:O)
Melody
Emergency Preparedness 911
http://emergencypreparedness911.blogspot.com/
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2006 at 8:22am
Predominantly I've been buying more of the foods we eat everyday. In addition, I've laid in more varieties of rice, beans, oats, soup, tons of spices, oil's, made Ghee and hamburger rocks, meal-kits.
You might want to take a look at

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2006 at 8:23am
Originally posted by carolina kid carolina kid wrote:

aw mary your not nuts.I keep stocking up wishing for butter.Wink cant imagine cooking without it.

You can can butter or make Ghee (clarified butter) very easily. Give it a try.
pheasant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pheasant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2006 at 8:33am
i  like the reg foods we usualy eat...lots of canned goods from wal mart...most have expirations of 2 to 3 yrs....plus dry goods
The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself......FDR
Legacy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2006 at 9:00am
Hey, do you happen to know if the canned butter will actually melt when eventually used? Seems that I read somewhere that, because it is already melted once before canning, its chemistry is changed and it may not melt again. I could be mistaken about this, but has anyone melted this butter after canning?
Thanks!
I do everything my Rice Crispies tell me to....
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2006 at 9:10am

Yes, it will melt again.  I think I remember the post.and someone had observed that it didn't melt as quickly if left out on the countertop etc....at least that was my understanding.  I have cooked with it, and it is great..The taste is a bit different, but I personally think it is for the better  IMHO
brianages View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brianages Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2006 at 9:49am
I try to go for the easiest storage, rotation, etc... While it was expensive it is hassle free. I bought 3 - 4 months of MRE's from a GSA provider/manufacturer. At 70 degrees it will last up to 8 years.

The balance is as everyone, canned stuff. 2 cans per day per person.

140lbs of rice and a rice cooker (450 watt) so I could run it off an inverter and battery if needed.
Brian Ages - Tybee Island - GA
Cygnet View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cygnet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2006 at 10:22am
For what it's worth, I've eaten my fair share of freeze dried food while backpacking, often from the same manufacturers that ya'll are buying preps from.

Freeze dried food is almost uniformly vile. The only way I'd ever eat it is if I had no other choice, and even then, I've been known to go hungry or make some very interesting food combinations to try to improve the palatability. (Freeze dried stroghanoff is improved by cheese whiz, particularly if wrapped up in a tortilla ... this is not a recommendation for either freeze dried stroghanoff or cheeze whiz!)

If I don't have to carry it on my back, I'm eating canned -- or made from bulk ingredients.

I've come to the conclusion that when backpacking I'd rather eat half a summer sausage, crackers, and dried fruit than ANY meal made of freeze dried anything. The only reason people eat those freeze-dried meals while backpacking is that they're too hungry at the end of the day to care what they eat.

In a SIP where you're not expending 5000-6000 calories a day, I suspect the palatability of freeze dried meals will go down dramatically.

Leva

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2006 at 10:32am
canned foods 3 cans per person for ten months
flour (buy now It couod get expensive as poor crop)
rice (variety )
sugar( Cane sugar healthier)
crackers
peanute butter
jams
cheese wiz
pasta (thin requires less time to cook )
sauses
glee
seeds for next years garden
meds
bandades
shampoe
bleach
soap
baby wipes
paper towels
toilet paper

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2006 at 10:32am
Be very careful of pancake mixes. I heard that they have a short shelf life and I read somewhere that people have gotten sick from expired pancake mix.

I have been stocking up on a lot of rice, baked beans canned veggies and fruit, pasta, toiletries, etc.   Good luck.

Hydrangea View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hydrangea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2006 at 11:06am
My first goal was to buy enough canned and minimal cooking foods to last three months. That includes chunky soup for lunch, a meat entree and two veggies for supper plus fruit, PB &J, drink mixes, etc. For breakfast I've bought breakfast bars, cereal, dried and shelf-stable milk, and packets of instant oatmeal and grits. With that accomplished I've turned to dried and freeze dried foods and things like canned and dried gravy, sauces and assorted flavoring ingredients that will offer variety and more interesting flavors. I don't use butter or margarine and instead prefer the taste of olive oil. It's time to do another inventory and see what I need to reach my second goal of 6 months worth of food. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2006 at 11:06am
I try to taste certain foods in a meal before buying in bulk for storage.

This week I'm experimenting with TVP (textured vegetable protein) as a meat replacement. It's cheap and nutritious and doesn't need refrigeration until hydrated.

I had the TVP granules for lunch in a burrito and it sure seemed like I was eating ground beef. So, that's definitely on my list of storage items to stock up on, particularly since it only needs to soak for 3 minutes in a hot liquid to be read to eat - good in a no-electricity situation. I probably could get the granules hydrated in my little fondu pot which heats with a candle.

Next, I'll be trying the TVP chunks - as a replacement for chicken and beef in stir-fries and stews . TVP has no taste of its own so its flavor comes from whatever you soak it in to hydrate.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2006 at 11:31am
Hi,

OK ladies, I need your help (Especially Mary)  --- Would you please start a new thread and tell us ( poorly-educated in home ec.) gals how to can butter.  I'm not joking - I really don't have a clue but would like to learn so I can add it to my preps.  (Heck in the second grade Sister Mary Marget smacked me and called me a smart *** because I said milk came from the dairy dept of the A&P - Everybody knows that! WHACK!) 

It would be GREATLY appreciated!

K.
pugmom View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pugmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2006 at 11:34am
the same as everyone, but emphasis on canned evaporated milk, cans of table cream, cans of sweetened condensed milk, boxes of powdered milk (I am awaiting cans of MOOS MILK, a special order found on the internet).  People recommended it, said it was a hair better than the powdered milk you buy in the store. I love milk and will miss drinking it so much, but I want to be sure I have plenty to cook with, sauces, gravies, etc.  Also, cans and cans of chicken and beef broth.  Also don't forget enough rat poison to last 1-2 years. (Not for cooking!--to rid ourselves of those pesky creatures.)
jpc
July View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote July Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2006 at 11:58am
Originally posted by Cygnet Cygnet wrote:

For what it's worth, I've eaten my fair share of freeze dried food while backpacking, often from the same manufacturers that ya'll are buying preps from.

Freeze dried food is almost uniformly vile. The only way I'd ever eat it is if I had no other choice, and even then, I've been known to go hungry or make some very interesting food combinations to try to improve the palatability. (Freeze dried stroghanoff is improved by cheese whiz, particularly if wrapped up in a tortilla ... this is not a recommendation for either freeze dried stroghanoff or cheeze whiz!)

If I don't have to carry it on my back, I'm eating canned -- or made from bulk ingredients.

I've come to the conclusion that when backpacking I'd rather eat half a summer sausage, crackers, and dried fruit than ANY meal made of freeze dried anything. The only reason people eat those freeze-dried meals while backpacking is that they're too hungry at the end of the day to care what they eat.

In a SIP where you're not expending 5000-6000 calories a day, I suspect the palatability of freeze dried meals will go down dramatically.

Leva

I have not tried the freeze dried meals but have used the freeze dried fruits and veggies. I  like the freeze dried green peppers because I can just throw them into a soup and there is not prep work or chopping, etc.

Legacy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2006 at 12:14pm
kr105, I cant remember the exact website, but if you just google "canned butter recipe", lots of sites will come up with basically the same recipe. Good luck!
I do everything my Rice Crispies tell me to....
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2006 at 12:28pm

kr105 ,

I  had my neck pinched and was called a BOLD FUSSER by Sr. Daniels........okay maybe I deserved it......

Google  "canning butter"  look under manna meals....  Got  50 pints here....nuttin to itWink

Good luck
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2006 at 12:37pm
I was looking up canning butter this is what I found.Cry

Should I use directions for canning butter at home that I see on the Internet?
Indeed, there are some directions for 'canning' butter in circulation on the Internet. Most of what we have seen are not really canning, as they do not have Boiling Water or Pressure Canning processes applied to the filled jar. Jars are preheated, the butter is melted down and poured into the jars, and the lids are put on the jars. Some directions say to put the jars in the refrigerator as they re-harden, but to keep shaking them at regular intervals to keep the separating butter better mixed as it hardens. This is merely storing butter in canning jars, not ‘canning’. True home canning is when the food is heated enough to destroy or sufficiently acid enough to prevent growth of all spores of Clostridium botulinum (that causes botulism) and other pathogens during room temperature storage on the shelf.

Additionally, when you consider the economics of the process (energy costs involved with heating, cost of jars and lids, etc.), even if the butter is bought on sale, it may not be economically viable to prepare butter to store for years in this manner. Good quality butter is readily available at all times, if butter is needed for fresh use. If the concern is about emergency food supplies, there are dry forms of butter that can be purchased and stored, oils that can be used in an emergency, or commercially canned butter in tins (although we have only seen this for sale from other countries). Melted and re-hardened butter may not function the same as original butter in many types of baking anyway.

There are a few issues with the common directions circulating on the Internet at this time (Spring 2006):

1. Physical safety and food quality: In the provided directions, the jars are preheated in an oven (dry-heat), which is not recommended for canning jars. Manufacturers of canning jars do not recommend baking or oven canning in the jars. It is very risky with regard to causing jar breakage. There is no guarantee that the jars heated in this dry manner are sufficiently heated to sterilize them, as we do not have data on sterilizing jar surfaces by this dry-heating method.
  2. The butter is not really being 'canned'; it is simply being melted and put in canning jars, and covered with lids. Due to some heat present from the hot melted butters and preheated jars, some degree of vacuum is pulled on the lids to develop a seal. It rarely is as strong a vacuum as you obtain in jars sealed through heat processing. The practice in these 'canned' butter directions is referred to as 'open-kettle' canning in our terminology, which is really no canning at all, since the jar (with product in it) is not being heat processed before storage.
  3. Although mostly fat, butter is a low-acid food. Meat, vegetables, butter, cream, etc. are low-acid products that will support the outgrowth of C. botulinum and toxin formation in a sealed jar at room temperature. Low-acid products have to be pressure-canned by tested processes to be kept in a sealed jar at room temperature. It is not clear what the botulism risk is from such a high-fat product, but to store a low-acid moist food in a sealed jar at room temperature requires processing to destroy spores. A normal salted butter has about 16-17% water, some salt, protein, vitamins and minerals. Some butter-like spreads have varying amounts of water in them. We have no kind of database in the home canning/food processing arena to know what the microbiological concerns would be in a butter stored at room temperature in a sealed jar. In the absence of that, given that it is low-acid and that fats can protect spores from heat if they are in the product during a canning process, we cannot recommend storing butter produced by these methods under vacuum sealed conditions at room temperature.
  4. Some other directions do call for 'canning' the filled jars of butter in a dry oven. This also is not 'canning'. There is not sufficient, research-based documentation to support that 'canning' any food in a dry oven as described on this web page or any page that proposes oven canning is even sufficient heating to destroy bacteria of concern, let alone enough to produce a proper seal with today's home canning lids.

In conclusion, with no testing having been conducted to validate these methods, we would NOT recommend or endorse them as a safe home-canning process, let alone for storing butter at room temperature for an extended period. We do know that the methods given for preheating empty jars, or even filled jars, in a dry oven are not recommended by the jar manufacturers or by us for any food. Aside from the physical safety and quality issues, and the fact that it is not canning at all, if there happened to be spores of certain bacteria in there, these procedures will not destroy those spores for safe room temperature storage.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2006 at 1:01pm

carolina kid,
 I know, I came accross the same article while googling under " botulism canned butter" & "canned butter warning" &" canning butter death" etc. etc. trying to find any possible problem...When I found this article I took it to DH (microbiolgist) and asked him  if we should toss out our stash...He gave me a long explaination of what it would take to get from the soil (where the spore is found) to the cow, to the butter (after being pasturized) and into toxic form into the butter...Said  he is not going to worry about it since bottom line is the spore itself would need to be in the kitchen and find it's way to the pot.  Very unlikely...........I guess  it's up to us...I'm keeping the butter
It would be good to get  a nailed down  version since the article says not recommended, but also not a definite NO!.....  My DH isn't the last word either.....Wish I had 100% on this
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2006 at 2:31pm
Hi,

Thank you all for your insights in this.  I'm curious in that I have a vac. sealer and wonder if I can't "can" the butter with the sealer and see what happens.

There is a canned butter product on the market from New Zealand.  While net grocer is out, an Austrailian internet grocer has it and is shipping, so I might go that route although at $8 a small can, it's the most expensive butter I've ever heard of.

Thanks again,
K.
bellabecky View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bellabecky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2006 at 2:41pm
I went to providence.com. It is the LDS site. They have a program that calculates all the necessities you'd need to survive. You just type in the amount of people you need to feed and the length of time you want to store for. The program calculates and gives you the amounts needed (i.e., grains, legumes, fats&oils, milk, sugars, misc.). I started with three months & when I had that recalculated and keep going like that. I also get canned meats, veggies, fruit, soups, cake mixes, canned frosting and all the stuff we like and normally eat. Plus, I stocked the freezer with a lot of stuff...we can eat that first in case of energy loss. I read you should have variety because there is a syndrome called 'food fatigue'. I guess when people eat the same thing too much or for too long they get it and don't want to eat anymore.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2006 at 2:42pm

kr105

Vaccuum sealing would make me very nervous, No heat !!!!!!!ExclamationExclamation   If you can afford New Zeeland butter, I would go for it...  I would if I could   Unhappy
bellabecky View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bellabecky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2006 at 2:45pm
I just got lard. Sounds yucky now, but I'll probably be glad I got it later. You can even get the butter flavored Crisco now. It's an option that is safe and inexpensive?!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2006 at 2:50pm
carolina kid,

Just curious. Have you canned butter already, or were you just looking into it...That article was to only piece of discouraging information on the whole net., but it does make one stop and think......

Thanks
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2006 at 2:55pm
Mary I was just looking into it I was hoping I could can some.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2006 at 2:56pm
Are the butter flavored sprays any good?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2006 at 4:29pm
Where can you find/buy TVP.  I've never heard of it before, sounds interesting.

Don't know about the butter sprays but might be worth testing as it's not too expensive.

How about Molly McButter?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2006 at 5:20pm
What foods am I stockpiling?

Well a lot that I don't usually eat.  I know we are supposed to buy what we like but a lot of it won't be available.  I like fresh.  I did buy a lot of dried fruits and nuts, dried things in bags for soup I remember from childhood.  Something was always soaking in a bowl on the counter.
Muffins all kinds and all fruit jams, tvp to make chili.  A lot of rice.  Canned milk for puddings the kids like.  Hidden choc morsels for cookies.  Tang,
kids like that.  Lemon ice tea in big cans.  Potatoe buds and gravey mixes.
I make a mean shepards pie with the tvp.  Things for the holidays too.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2006 at 5:24pm

oh... tvp is at any H. food store.  Just ask for texturized vegtable protein.

it comes in chunks also, for stews.

janetn View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote janetn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2006 at 5:43pm
I am prepping with the foods that i normally eat as far as that is possible. If we end up in a bad situation I will be aquiring a goat and maybe a couple of pigs [live or no]Wink depending on the time of year. these are the only things that I will be doing differently. Im canning freezing and dehydrating the bounty from my garden. Eggs at some point could be a problem as I can only freeze so many. but I hate to but the powdered type. 

Storage is going to become a issue for me soon. Im hoping that we dont have a major problem before fall. then i will get O2 absorbers and buckets to store large quanities of staple items. I still havent convinced DH to go with the wheat and grinder senerioAngry I will get there I will i willConfused He doesnt know of the plan for a goat either. Ignorance is truely bliss in some occasionsBig smile
July View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote July Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2006 at 6:45pm
[QUOTE=Sand]Where can you find/buy TVP.  I've never heard of it before, sounds interesting.

I have purchased this at the health food store, or the health food section of my regular grocery store.
You can also get it online at some of the emergency food sites, etc.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2006 at 6:46pm
I previously asked my agricultural extension agents and I was told they DO NOT have an approved recipe for canning butter so I guess do it at your own risk.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2006 at 6:59pm
Hi All,

OK, I'm back to showing my ignorance on the home ec. front again.  Janetn you mentioned freezing eggs.  Do you freeze raw eggs?  If so, how long will they last?  I've frozen milk before but I never tried eggs.

I did order a case of powdered from the link provided by another member (myfoodstorage.com) and am waiting for them to arrive.  I was also planning on purchasing the powdered egg whites at the grocery store.  I have a couple of quarts of egg beaters in the freezer now.  However to freeze real eggs (for a hardboiled egg when times were really low) would be wonderful.

By the by - Mary and Carolina -- Thanks!  I did find the canning instructions and they do not look difficult.  Mary you seem to be using canned butter without difficulty so I think I'm going to try it!

Now I get to gloat a little bit -- made my first loaf (on my own) of real home-made bread today -- honey whole wheat with raisens  -- and I'm disguestingly pleased with myself!  It's wonderful and I don't think I'll be buying store bought bread again any time soon.

I also set up my new soda machine and it's cool  ($100 from soda club usa and I purchased additional supplies to make 110 3ltr bottles of soda.)  If you hadn't guessed I'm a big soda drinker and I love this unit.  It's got a small footprint on the counter.  Does not require electricity.  Main unit aside, it works out to be $1.58 for a 3 ltr bottle of soda (that you can recharged when it starts to go flat.)  Walmart wants $1.78 for a 3 ltr of diet coke so this is cost effective.  Additionally I found sites online that will sell the Diet Coke syrup if I don't like the companies own syrups.

That's it for me -- Again thanks and have a great night.
K. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2006 at 7:09pm
kr105 see my post about it not being safe.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2006 at 7:20pm
I started with beans, and rice, then added dehydrated food from Waltons mainly wheat germade (cream of wheat) oats, brochli, pasta, cheese powder, onion, mixed peppers, carrots etc, then Mountain House freeze dried foods, and of course canned goods and finally filled my freezer with beef.  So I have all 4 main food groups!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2006 at 7:48pm
http://www.providentliving.org/content/list/0,11664,2003-1,00.html

handy site for what to store .
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2006 at 7:50pm
http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/tate55.html

7 Mistakes of food storage . 
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2006 at 8:06pm
Irene, I have seen that ingredient in some frozen dinner type items and it tastes fine and I was wanting to experiment with it, but have nopt seen it in a grocery store. What type of packaging is it in? Cost? Does it come in sizes or what?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic