Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Testing your preps??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Testing your preps??
    Posted: June 18 2006 at 6:02pm

I thought it might be helpful to start this thread. There are a ton of people counting on what they learn here, as I am.

Please post your positive and negative experiences.

I will start….Sun Dried Tomatoes, very good substitute for fresh. Sam’s has them for $5.00 and change per jar. They have a shelf life until 07. My wife is amazed @ what I can do w/ a can of black beans, and a can of corn.   Thumbs Up

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2006 at 6:23pm

911bob,  I opened a jar of beef cubes and made  gravy from the juice in the jar....Made up some instant potatoes and thought it  was pretty good as a meal....I hate to get into the preps, but am glad to know what we'll be working with
Glow View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2006 at 7:04pm
I made a great sauce!!...I took out one of my tomato cans that came complete with onions, garlic, and green pepper...then I opened a soup can that had veggies with sausages...I had the soup for myself for lunch without the sausages...I took those sausages and used them to make my spaghetti sauce......seasoned sauce with salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning(which has all kinds of dilicious herbs).....hubby never knew it was all from a can...loved it!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2006 at 7:09pm
We have no idea when this event may happen. It is a very good idea to rotate what you  have, and try to see what will and won't work. I can say I have returned some items that I thought would have been a good, but after trying....well lets say it is a good thing we have the time to get it all in order.  
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2006 at 12:12am
I've been on www.hillbillyhousewife.com a LOT and busily printing out recipes, prepping packages etc. There is a section just for storage foods, which I'm going thru. Making one meal after another to try them out now. Found a number which my hubby and I both like real well, easy to prepare and fast to cook.
The owner of the site has another section for preparing your own convenience foods like flavored rice-mixes, coffee's, tea's etc. It'a amazing how inventive and frugal she is. I'm making something almost every day. It's showing me how fast you go thru your stash, especially spices/herbs. This way, I will have a lot of the preps done, less clean-up and a lot more peace of mind that I've done it right.
Dualis View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dualis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2006 at 2:57am
very enjoyable site
thanks Femvet
adding to favorites
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2006 at 6:37am
Originally posted by 911bob 911bob wrote:

I have returned some items that I thought would have been a good, but after trying....well lets say it is a good thing we have the time to get it all in order.  

Can you give some examples? I thought that's why you started this thread...

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2006 at 7:30am
DAK Hams, YUK!! 

Generally Sam’s has good prices, however I ran into a problem w/ expiration dates on OJ, Granola Bars, etc.   

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2006 at 12:15pm
Have you tried any other ham? Which one would you recommend? I have mostly canned salmon and tuna, and only a few beef, but am looking for some good input on canned meats..
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2006 at 12:18pm
cornbeef hash
stews

haven't a clue how long those last though...
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2006 at 12:55pm
Tried a can of corned beef hash yesterday morning with our eggs and bacon.  My dad swears by it and I have about 10 cans in my preps. 

All I can say is YUCK!!!  No amount of ketchup made it palatable.  Not to mention the astronomical fat and cholesterol content.  Feel sorry for Dad, as he won't be getting any of those ten cans...won't be responsible for his next heart attack.

I'm hoping for better results with the canned barbeque pork.  Will let you know.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2006 at 1:04pm
Bunker Hill Gravey and beef chunks is good on rice or Mashed potatos.But its not that good for you.Guess its better than not eating huh.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2006 at 6:01pm

More storms expected in flooded Houston

By Matt Daily 2 hours, 44 minutes ago

HOUSTON (Reuters) - Torrential rains sparked flash floods across Houston on Monday that engulfed homes and snarled traffic, and weather forecasters warned new storms overnight could bring even worse flooding.

Floodwaters that covered highways and swamped cars across sections of south and east Houston had receded by Monday afternoon, giving rescue teams a respite. But the storm system that deluged the city with up to 11 inches of rain in some areas appeared likely to return.

"If we do get the amount of rainfall that's expected, you can and probably should expect major flooding," Rusty Cornelius, administrative coordinator for Harris County Emergency Management told Reuters.

The

<>

< = value='"National Weather Service"' name=p>< = value=c1,i,yn,c3 name=sourceOrder>< = value='

National Weather Service

' name=c1>< = value='

SEARCH
News | News Photos | Images | Web

' name=c3>
< = name=sourceURL>< = value=yq-news name=fr>< = value="The National Weather Service predicted thunderstorms could return to the Houston area and continue until midday Tuesday, dumping as much as another 5-10 inches onto the already water-logged ground." name=context>

National Weather Service predicted thunderstorms could return to the Houston area and continue until midday Tuesday, dumping as much as another 5-10 inches onto the already water-logged ground.

That would likely cause the already swollen bayous that crisscross Houston to overflow their banks.

The Houston Fire Department rescued more than 500 people from flood waters with no serious injuries or fatalities reported. "Most of them were rescues of civilians from their vehicles after they drove into flooded areas," said Assistant Chief Omero Longoria.

The worst of the flooding hit South Houston, which declared a state of emergency and set up four shelters to accommodate residents driven from their homes.

Television news showed footage of several people on the roof of a building that had flooded with water levels topping out at about three feet on some streets.

Houston city and county officials were working to prepare emergency crews to fan out across the city ahead of a potential deluge in the coming hours.

"If the situation does take a turn for the worse, we have the assets ready to be deployed," said Gloria Roemer, spokeswoman for the County Judge Robert Eckels, head of the county's emergency management office.

Witnesses said state highway 225, the city's "refinery row," was closed earlier in the day because of high water, although disruptions to plants appeared to be minor.

A refinery owned by French Total in nearby Port Arthur was forced to trim operations because of flooding, the company said.

(Additional reporting by Eileen O'Grady)

TALK ABOUT TESTING YOUR PREPS......THIS IS NOT WHAT I HAD IN MIND.Disapprove

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2006 at 6:06pm
DAK Hams:  OK if you put cloves on the top before baking (1 every 1/2 to 1 inch)  I usually take a knife and score the top in a zig-zag pattern (bunch of slices on way, then rotate and repeat the cuts to make the zig-zags.
Put a clove in the center of each resulting diamond shape.

Sprinkle brown sugar on top

Pour some pineapple juice on top of that then bake.

It comes out OK.

-----------------------------

I tried to freeze eggs and had a problem getting them out of the ice cube tray (had to pour hot water on the bottom to release them.)  Probably the super cheapo trays I used (3/$1 ice cube trays at Walmart.)

Since I have more eggs approaching the expiration date, I'm going to try it again, using a spray of pam in the tray before pouring in the eggs.

-------------------------------
Love my soda machine but the diet orange was too strong for me
(Soda Club USA home soda machine.)  I'm going to put in less on the next bottle.

Also saw real Diet Coke syrup for sale on the net.  Plan on trying that but it has to wait for another pay check -- tapped out on this one.

That's it for me,
K.

bellabecky View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bellabecky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2006 at 6:27pm
My kids favorite are now being sold at KFC for a bunch of money. The layered bowls. They actually want the "store bought" now. Just need potato flakes, can of corn, can of chicken, gravy. Layer it up.

Tuna on toast:
Another one is powdered milk, tuna, pasta(english muffins, bagles, or bread), powdered butter, flour, salt & pepper. Two tbls of butter & flour for every 1.5 cups of milk. Combine butter & flour until looks like paste, add milk & tuna. Cook until thickened. Add salt pepper to taste. Put on top of pasta. If you have fzn peas throw them in.

Always looking for Kid pleasers...would love to get more if anybody has any.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2006 at 7:39am
Okay, so I just tried a can of Castleberry's Barbeque Pork and I am very pleased and excited to report that it was indeed very yummy!!! 

Very easy to prepare and tasted fantastic all on its own. 

Now I'm trying to come up with different ways it can be used in different meals.  Any suggestions? 

It's about 1.19 a can so not exactly cheap, but has four servings per can and will definately satisfy the need for tasty meat when all the freezer stock is gone.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2006 at 9:04am
Originally posted by 911bob 911bob wrote:

DAK Hams, YUK!! 

Generally Sam’s has good prices, however I ran into a problem w/ expiration dates on OJ, Granola Bars, etc.   

This is a link to salt cured ham for long term storage. You have to soak it and rinse it to use it, but it is real ham and will store. Jo

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2006 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by Sand Sand wrote:

Okay, so I just tried a can of Castleberry's Barbeque Pork and I am very pleased and excited to report that it was indeed very yummy!!! 

Very easy to prepare and tasted fantastic all on its own. 

Now I'm trying to come up with different ways it can be used in different meals.  Any suggestions? 

It's about 1.19 a can so not exactly cheap, but has four servings per can and will definately satisfy the need for tasty meat when all the freezer stock is gone.

Glad to hear about the Castleberry' BBQ Pork. Everytime I go to Dollar General I've looked at it, but havn't bought it yet. Thanks
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2006 at 4:50pm
Seriously, we even had it for dinner tonight along with baked beans and mac n cheese.  (kid's requestSmile)  DH liked it so much he had two sandwiches!  This went over so well that I am off to the store tomorrow for 20 cans to go in the prep closetBig smile
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2006 at 5:31pm
I just orderd 2 tins of the BBQ Pork.  Approve We will see.
Thanks,

Bob
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2006 at 7:22pm
sand, i have benn looking for that castleberry pork or beef for months now,where did you find it? i even wrote castleberry to see if i could order it from them. what state are you in, if close i may be willing to drive. i live in ms.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2006 at 4:25am
We are in GA.  Kroger and Walmart have it.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2006 at 8:27am
I "docter up" dry lima beans by adding a pinch of soda (to reduce gas effect) add some celery and a can of chopped span (or luch meat) when nearly done. Served with cornbread it makes a heary one pot meal.
Good luck to all.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2006 at 8:34am
Originally posted by maysday maysday wrote:

I "docter up" dry lima beans by adding a pinch of soda (to reduce gas effect) add some celery and a can of chopped span (or lunch meat) when nearly done. Served with cornbread it makes a hearty one pot meal.
Good luck to all.

Sorry, for the spelling errors. Very tired here.
countrygal View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote countrygal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2006 at 2:13pm
I've discovered that testing new foods is very important!! we like the flavored noodles and recently bought a package of Thai instant noodles the kind you just add water, heat and add the seasoning...   I'm so glad I only bought 1 to try!! nasty stuff!! LOL
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2006 at 10:07am
We recently had a "small" test of preps. We're on well water and there was a little contamination problem, had to be re-chlorinated and was therefore not fit for drinking for 24 hours. My husband, who is not very supportive of my prepping, immediately wanted to run to the grocery store and buy some water. How fun to look him in the face and say "No need. We've got plenty of safe water". Hah!!!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2006 at 11:08am
Maysday,

While I've only tried beans once (and loved them - honey baked beans) I've never had them again because of the gas.  You mention adding a pinch of soda -- is this baking soda? (or pop?)  Do you add it to the water they are cooking in?  I'm fairly new to "home ec" so please forgive my ignorance here.

Thanks!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2006 at 12:56pm
Kr105'
Welcome to the forum. You can also use a teaspoon of cider vinegar if baking soda is not available. Both "release" the gas in the beans.Yes, you add to the cooking water. Another tip, you can add a teaspoon (to a good sized pot) of meat tenderizer (I use the one with papaine not MSG) which helps to soften the skins during cooking. Jo
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2006 at 5:24pm

I ordered and tried a can of "6 grain cereal" from "Honeyville". The can is a #10,had oxygen absorber in it and shelf life of 10 years for $8.99.  Contains only red wheat flakes,white wheat flakes,barley flakes,oatmeal,rye flakes,sunflower seeds.  No additives or any other junk.  VERY YUMMY!Big smile

I was very satisfied with customer service,promptness and the product taste great and arrived in good shape.  Would recommend them.
Link below;

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2006 at 5:31pm
Tried the Hormel canned Tamales.......not bad, a little Picante goes a long way. Cambell's canned Chili, not bad either...MMMMMM, GUY FOOD! LOL!
Also, Member Mark (Sam's) canned Salmon, smoked or plain...very good. 
Turkey Spam...YUK!!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2006 at 5:55pm
I have six cans of those tamales.  Never tried them, but thought after a while we would need some diversion in our meals.  Have to say was a bit nervous buying them.  Thanks for the report. 

Were they good enough that you would buy more? 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2006 at 6:04pm
Hi Sand, I will buy more. I was the same in trying / buying them. The can say 3 servings @ 130 cal. each, so 420 for the whole can. Enough for a big guy.....I am 6'4" @ 220 lbs. Just heat, top w/ cheese and some kind of condiment. They are not very spicey out of the can. Picante, Tabasco.... 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2006 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by raptureready raptureready wrote:

I was very satisfied with customer service,promptness and the product taste great and arrived in good shape.  Would recommend them.
Link below;

raptureready,
I have placed 4 or 5 orders from them & found their products to be first rate. I have gotten 200 lbs of their dry low heat milk, and frankly I couldn't tell the difference between that and store bought 2%.

I do know a trick (grew up with instant (YUK) milk, and if you add a pinch of sugar (or splenda) and 3-4 drops vanilla to a gallon it's excellent.
I am not afilliated with them in any way except for being a very satisfied customer.
 On one order they lost an oxygen absorber package.I called and 2 days later they were in my mailbox, no problem. My last order a pack of yeast had lost it's seal and one of the wheat protein packages had a leak. Called them and same thing, in the box in 3 days. The delivery time almost always is a week or more, but worth the wait.

I am going to open a can of the eggs to cook with and see if they scramble up well or if I should stick to using in recipes. Will let you know how they come out. I am planning to take the milk & eggs (bought by the 50lb bag this time, much cheaper) to the LDS cannery and put into #10 cans myself.
I figured out that it is cheaper than ordring by the can. Their potato flakes are good too.I haven't used any of the wheat berries yet, but I know that they will make great wheat flour and probably won't mess with them untill I need to because they store so well.
I am very familiar with freeze dried fruits, so again it will wait until I need it.
I think that this thread is VERY important, as you are not going to want to be trying to see what works and what doesn't at a critical time.

That is why I learned to bake homemade wheat/white mix (after about 10 experiments-all edible but didn't please everyone) and I now have a recipe that even the die hard commercial white bread lovers are raving about.

The best compliment was my 82 year old mother watched me whip up a batch (10 minute prep & then raise time-BTW-I think this gets it's fine texture from 3 raisings) ate a piece and she was hooked.

My husband is type 2 diabetes (he was one of the white bread lovers) and this bread doesn't seem to make his blood sugar spike as the store white bread does.
 I am having a bit of trouble getting extra meds for him so anything that keeps his glycemic index stable is a big plus. I did get a case of the gluten because when I get down to just whole wheat flour, the gluten will make the bread so much lighter.
Sorry if I rambled off topic, I'm pooped tonight. Canned a large chunk of beef, But I got 4 more quarts doneClapJo
MelodyAtHome View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelodyAtHome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2006 at 6:26pm
I love those canned Tamales. My dad used to eat them when I was a kid. Great snack:O) I only have 2 cans but going to get more. I could eat them oftenSmile
Melody
Emergency Preparedness 911
http://emergencypreparedness911.blogspot.com/
outsidethecamp View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outsidethecamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2006 at 7:03pm
Hello all...

I'm always amazed at the posts here.  ITSHTF, will it really matter much if our canned hams are palitable or not???

Personally, I'm just trying to purchase items to feed my clan & keep them all alive for  at least 12-18 mo!

If they don't "like" what I'm serving, too bad.  They may not like what I'm serving, but they'll be alive & that's what really matters!

I've only got so much $ & so much time to get things lined up.

My advice is get spices, lots of spices & various sauces to "doctor up" foods.  One could make an old shoe taste good with the right spices right???

My first priority is PROTEIN, PROTEIN, PROTEIN!!!

Everything else is simply gravy in terms of food preps. 

God bless us all...
Peggy

MelodyAtHome View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelodyAtHome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2006 at 7:40pm
I read somewhere though that humans will stop to eat and not be hungry (which can be dangerous) if they get tired eating the same type of food for a long period of time...or food they really don't like for a while. I'm sure I just read that.
Melody
Emergency Preparedness 911
http://emergencypreparedness911.blogspot.com/
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2006 at 7:49pm
Peggy,

IMHO, yes, it matters if the ham is palatable, etc.  If this thing really happens, you, me and all of our family and friends are going to experience true emotional hell.  Yes, food is small in the big scheme of things.  But, if everyone around you and life as you know it is dying, small comforts might make the difference between needing the padded white room or standing up and surviving.

Hope I haven't offended you.  It's just that we have been blessed with a bit of advanced time to maybe make it 'livable'....
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2006 at 8:00pm
I am not sure who said it, but it is so true....buy what you eat, eat what you buy. Gravy is what I am used to. I will not do anything different.Smile
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2006 at 8:09pm
A little side note here.  Went to Kroger yesterday to finalize my preps.  Going after those 20 cans of castleberrys barbeque pork you knowSmile.  Well, they didn't have 20 cans.  They only had 4.  Same with the sister product of bbque beef (there was only 1 left).  I've been down that isle every other day for three months and it always has two rows double stacked high!  Took them all and realized I'm not done just yet.Sleepy

Maybe sharing good tasting items isn't a good idea...LOL
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2006 at 8:20pm
Hi Sand, have you tried the bbq pork? I ordered 2 cases on line last night. They beat me up on shipping, I hope it was worth it.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2006 at 8:22pm
Note to self: delete this thread. LOL!LOL
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2006 at 8:46pm
All kidding aside, this is a productive thread. We can all learn what is good, and what is not. This has nothing to do w/ the have and the have not. We all have to work with in our budget. For me, I have a ton of fun harvesting my pepper garden every week. I can salsa, relish and hot sauce for the $5.00 I spent on plants, and 2 hours to plant these. The rest is fun impressing my wife w/ my skills.
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2006 at 8:53pm
Another vote for the Hormel canned tamales. I got a can back in January to try to see if they were any good. I fixed them to eat with tacos the first time, now they are a regular when we eat tacos. I keep replacing them because we keep eating them! I vote against the corned beef hash, I had never had it before, and it had to be the nastiest stuff I have ever tried, DH ate it, but I thought it looked/smelled like canned dog food. So needless to say I did not buy any more of that. Will have to look for the BBQ!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2006 at 8:47am
This morning we had blueberry pancakes. Put a handful of dehydrated berries to soak overnight, used dry milk powder, dry egg powder, baking powder, oil, salt and vanilla. Came out delish! I think i'm going to start eating my preps and just buy more of whatever I use up! Tonight I'm going to open a jar of home canned chicken & make chicken and noodles. Along with a slice or two of homemade bread (I make two loaves twice a week now) Haven't been to McDonalds in over a month and really don't miss it! Jo
Bill 100 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill 100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2006 at 8:58am

I have been testing my prepps

I had a graham cracker problem, then a potatoe chip problem, a brownie problem, and so on, and realized. My prepps are better than what I have been having on a daily basis, and I have been gaining weight too.

A storm is coming !
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic