Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Testing your preps??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2006 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by 911bob 911bob wrote:

Hi Sand, have you tried the bbq pork? I ordered 2 cases on line last night. They beat me up on shipping, I hope it was worth it.

911bob,
Where did you order them from please? Jo

Edited for name error!
maysday View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maysday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2006 at 12:36pm
kr1o5, Sorry I've been away from the computer and missed your post. Yes, you add the baking soda in cooking to dry beans. I think limas may need it more than most beans. You don't need to add it to canned beans. We use to add baking soda to tea also before it came in little bags. We boiled tea back then and it went a lot futher. A pinch of soda cut down on the bitters. Anyone else remember tea before the bags? A box lasted a long time.
Good luck to all.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2006 at 12:51pm
TxCowboy View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TxCowboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2006 at 12:36pm
Okay, I decided that I needed to test my "hamburger rocks" (dehydrated hamburger meat).  I found a recipe on the website:  www.freezerbagcooking.com .  (Really good and interesting website).  I tried a recipe that said to use 1 lb. hamb. rocks and 1 packet of taco seasoning to make taco meat.  The hamb. rocks never did get really soft like it does when you cook it normally.  You are supposed to add as much water as the taco seasoning packet says to (2/3 cup).  I did that and let it "steep" for about 20 minutes and the meat never did soften up.  It was edible and in a crunch we could eat it but I was a little disapppointed.  I ended up making taco soup with it and it is much better.  I think to reconstitute hamb rocks it takes awhile sitting in liquid.  Anyone have any advice?
ToniD.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2006 at 3:10pm
TxCowboy,
I used some of my hamburger rocks on an unsuspecting crowd a while back in a basic recipe of hamburger, beef broth, potatos, onions and green beans. I brought the beef broth to a boil, added my rocks, let simmer 5 minutes and then added my potatos, onions,salt and pepper & when the potatos were done I added the can of green beans. Served it up and everyone raved when I asked if they liked it. You should have seen their faces when I told them I used dehydrated hamburger.I wish I'd had a camera! I do think they require a little more than boiling water. I purchased beef broth to rehydrate mine, because thats what I took out. Probably don't need to from the protein stand point, but I'm a flavor nut. Jo
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2006 at 3:10pm
911bob,
Hey, thanks for the link. I am going to try some. Jo
TxCowboy View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TxCowboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2006 at 3:21pm
Thanks Jo.  I believe you are correct in adding more beef broth since you stated that is what is taken out when we dehydrate the meat.  It only makes sense.  I will continue to experiment with it.  The taco soup I made with it (so it didn't go to waste) is really good.  I was just hoping for good old taco meat but maybe it is better in soups, stews, chilies, etc. after simmering in some liquid for a while.  Thanks for your posts!  I lurk and learn a lot from you!
ToniD.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2006 at 5:24pm
One of my experiments with my preps that I made that turned out well was corned beef hash.  I used the $1 or $1.50 can of corned beef that you can get from dollar general and some dollar trees.  It looked absolutely gross when I dumped it out of the can.  A combination of dog food with a layer of fat at one end.  Well part of my preps is to keep 50 pounds of potatoes on hand that I can get for $11.39 for the bag and I get onions everytime they are buy one get one free.  So I cut off the fat layer, mushed up the nasty looking crumbly corn beef, added cooked chopped potatoes and lots of onions, some seasoning salt and pepper and fried until somewhat browned on both sides.  Well the guy I am seeing wolfed it down and said it was great.  I even have to admit when I tried it, it did not taste or smell anything like what I dumped out of the original can of corn beef. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2006 at 8:12pm
Hi everyone, this is just my second post but I've been here in the background for a while!  Just had to share this:  bought some "Great American" brand soup (no water needed) at Aldi's at half the price of the Campbell's Chunky stuff - tried it out and can't tell the difference!  Noticed in fine print it's manufactured by DelMonte.  Aldi's had chicken/noodle, chicken/rice, beef/veggie.   Also compared Sweet Sue Chicken'nDumplings to Kirkwood brand I found at Big Lots.  To my surprise, the "off brand" was ALOT better - lots more chicken than Sue's.   Also, glad to hear about the Hormel tamales, I see them in Kroger all the time.  Thanks for all the great posts, guys.  Glad you're out there!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 6:11am
Jo007athome, would you share your bread recipe, please? My husband is also a type 2 diabetic and I am very worried how to keep his blood sugar normal. TIA
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 7:12am
Femvet,
Here is the recipe and my "plan". My DH is a very fussy southerner, who for 25 years wouldn't eat homemade bread, didn't like the consistancy. SO, when I started prepping for BF, I mentioned that he'd probably better try to Aquire the taste for homemade as that would be all there was. The first loaf I made, I made from whole wheat alone. He liked it (as did I) but we didn't have any room for supper that night, LOL! I have adjusted this recipe so that it is a lighter loaf, but still has the whole grain flour to slow the glycemic index on digestion. I plan on upping the wheat flour by 1 cup in a couple weeks. He is getting used to (and does like) homemade bread so if I gradually change the formula to more whole wheat flour, I think he won't even notice. Jo

Bread recipe: Makes 3 loaves

4 cups white flour
2 cups wheat flour
1 packet yeast
1 teaspoon sugar (can skip if diabetic, just takes a little longer to proof)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 cup gluten
1 teaspoon salt

(You can play with the flours if your gang likes whole grain better than mine, try 1/2 white, 1/2 wheat or ?)

put yeast and sugar in 1/2 cup very warm but not hot water, add 1 tablespoon flour (either flour) let set for a few minutes. You will add to dry ingredients with water when it starts to foam up (this is called proofing the yeast)

put dry ingredients in large bowl & mix well, add olive oil and water (add yeast mix now) (a little at a time)
until dough forms (I let mine be a little loose-sticky)
grease another large non metal bowl (dough will raise to double or triple in size) to put dough in.

sprinkle flour liberally on large counter space, turn dough out onto floured area. Sprinkle more flour on top of dough.Knead dough (think of it as a pie in 4 quarters) by pulling edge up and in towards center, turn dough 1/4 turn an repeat. If dough is sticking to counter sprinkle more flour as needed.
 Knead until dough (adding flour a little at a time) becomes firmed up and has a smooth sort of shiny appearance. Place dough into greased bowl and rub a little oil on the top of dough then put a piece of plastic wrap (you can use a dish towel, I just prefer the plastic. It keeps the dough soft and ply-able) and put bowl in a warm place to raise.
you can turn your oven on for 15-20 seconds and shut it off. If it is too hot for you to touch the oven walls, it is too hot to raise bread (will kill the yeast) Will be twice to three times the dough ball size in an hour or two. Repeat kneading process briefly on lightly floured surface and back to bowl for second raising. When raised for the second time, knead into a length and cut into 3 equal pieces with a sharp knife and put into well greased (mine are old, so I flour them as well like a cake pan) bread pan and into warm (you have to be able to touch walls with your hands comfortably) oven for last raise.
When bread has risen and is above pan edges, should look about like a loaf at this point, turn oven on at 375 degrees and set timer for 35 minutes. You may need less time or more depending on your altitude and oven. Bread will start smelling good and brown on top. When done, turn bread out of pan onto wire rack (or anything that will let air circulate around loaf ) while it cools. 
After it is completely cool, wrap tightly in saran wrap between slicing.This has no preservatives so will mold in about 4 days. You can divide the ingredients if you want to make 1 or 2 loaves. I like this because of the 3 raisings I only use 1 pack of yeast for three loaves, rather than one. Enjoy!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 2:59pm

I have learned some new things in testing my preps. Being a guy; I never paid much attention to what was in the pantry, more to what was in the freezer. If we (I) needed anything on a daily basis, I would have my wife pick it up while she was shopping. Since we started prepping, (ME) I see more of what we use on a daily basis. The goal is to rotate the preps, so while watching this I have learned more about a GOOD DIET.

This is hard to admit, as a guy who loves to eat RED MEAT, not so hip on the veggies. One of the first holes I see in my preps, MORE VEGGIES. My intent was to try what will work, and what would not. I have learned that my tastes are changing because of this experience. So if this never happens, we will live longer because of it.   

BTW, I got my 2 cases of Castleberry's Barbeque Pork today.Big smile I will post the taste test very results soon, after lunch Tomorrow
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 4:20pm
Okay, now I'm scared ... hope you like the pork as much as we did 911bob.  Keep in mind it is not chunks of pork, but rather shredded.  The kids added a small dollop of bbque sauce to their sandwich and loved it.  Let me know.  You can be honest...I can take itTongue.  I'm just sorry you had to pay shipping to get it.

We still have to try one of our cans of the castleberrys bbque beef, but have a good feeling it will be fine.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 4:34pm
Sand....LOL!! I am sure it will be good. I will be ordering the beef next.Thumbs Up
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 4:34pm
how much is a case of castleberry pork or beef and who are ya ordering them from. i wrote the company and they said they didn't sell to people.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 4:47pm
[QUOTE=911bob]Hi jo, here is a link. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007SNZAM/103-0321413-7894213?v=glance&n=3370831[/QUOTE]

Sherrie,

I believe this is the link he posted earlier on where to get it from.  Hope this helps.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 4:58pm
thanks it was the right site but i cant afford that price for it.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 5:02pm
I thought it was a bit high too.  Especially when you factor in shipping.  (poor 911bob).  I've heard on this thread that it is also at dollar general.  It might be less expensive there.  Do you have one near you?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 6:47pm
kr105, Just  break the eggs into freezer ziplocks. then suck out the air and freeze- works great as long as we have juice.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 8:38pm
yes i do have 4 in my area but they no longer handle it. they are the ones who advised me to write the company. guess i'll find something else. thanks for helping.
KOMET163 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KOMET163 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 9:18pm
tried hormel chilli and loved it. tried progresso soups and loved them
Tried spam and chicken spam .Loved it,

canned ham, loved it
canned pork, will investigate

roast beef/ gravy goood

veggies , good

crackers, good

powdered milk, good

powdered eggs, good

the only negative is the burners. I have to use them in the bath tub. THey are reallly hard to start.

enjoyed prepping and buying food

KOMET163

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2006 at 9:55am
Hi Sand, I tried it for lunch. I added the extra bbq suace. VERY TASTY!! Thumbs Up
I am going to call around today to see if I can find it localy.

Here is another site...MUCH CHEAPER!! 1 / 2 of the price. A flat $5.00 for shipping for 1 or 3 cases.

Bill 100 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill 100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2006 at 10:32am
KOMET163, If you like Hormel Chilli, and have a "Save a Lot" store I would check them out. I picked up 1 lb 9 oz cans for .88 each, the same price I paid for 15 oz cans at wal-mart when they were on sale. The only thing is they don't keep them stocked. They could have them one week but not the next.

A storm is coming !
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2006 at 5:04pm
911bob,

YeahClap  I'm so glad!  Better prices too.  Thanks for the research and info!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2006 at 4:41pm

We just cracked open a can of the castleberrys bbq beef for sandwiches.  Happy to say the beef is just as good as the pork. 

Will be investing a small fortune in this product - with absolutely no fear of waste.  These are perfect for quick summer lunches or dinners when you don't want to heat up the kitchen or have run out of time.  Cheap too, when you consider my family of four dined on only one can to make four sandwiches, along with easy sides of chips and potato salad.  Came out to be $1.50 per person.Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic