Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
123456
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Trump tests positive for Covid.......
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Online Discussion: Tracking new emerging diseases and the next pandemic since 2005; Coronavirus COVID-19 Pandemic Discussion Forum.

Trump tests positive for Covid.......

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
JellyMama View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Avatar

Joined: February 25 2020
Location: Texas
Status: Offline
Points: 375
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JellyMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trump tests positive for Covid.......
    Posted: November 05 2020 at 9:50pm

He’s been going non stop for days and had at least 4 rallies in one day in different states. He’s hoarse from talking so much.

Back to Top
carbon20 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: April 08 2006
Location: West Australia
Status: Offline
Points: 51386
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2020 at 4:01am

I think the "Doc"predicted it....

Sorry it was JacksDad....😉


Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.🖖

Marcus Aurelius
Back to Top
Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin
Avatar

Joined: January 16 2014
Location: Scotland
Status: Offline
Points: 84075
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2020 at 3:35am

More likely the stress of campaigning.  It can take quite a toll on candidates.  

But I do imagine the covid-hangover did not help.  Having fought such a nasty bug will have depleted his body's defences and energy levels, making the whole thing harder.

ERCD
Back to Top
EdwinSm, View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group


Joined: April 03 2013
Status: Offline
Points: 19435
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdwinSm, Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2020 at 2:29am

I recently heard Trump's voice on the news....it sounded bad (very hoarse).  

Would this be an effect of over-exerting himself in the run up to the election, or is it likely to be an on going effect of his covid-19 illness?   

 I do wonder if he had been pushing himself too hard to appear to be on top of things and to seem to be strong.

Back to Top
carbon20 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: April 08 2006
Location: West Australia
Status: Offline
Points: 51386
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2020 at 9:56pm










DW (English): Angela Merkel: Europe must learn coronavirus lessons as situation gets 'serious'.

https://dw.com/p/3jrsZ?maca=en-gk-volltext-newsstand-topstories-en-10709-xml-googlenews



And yet chump keeps insisting that it's no big deal .......

WHY....because hes only interested in a 2nd term......

Wake up....

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.🖖

Marcus Aurelius
Back to Top
Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin
Avatar

Joined: January 16 2014
Location: Scotland
Status: Offline
Points: 84075
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2020 at 12:26pm

Great article on how pandemics end.  It has some strange animation and uploading it was impossible (at least for this Technophobe) but it is here anyway:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-876f42ae-5e44-41c0-ba2d-d6fd537aadfe?utm_source=pocket-newtab-global-en-GB


ERCD
Back to Top
WitchMisspelled View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group
Avatar

Joined: January 20 2020
Status: Offline
Points: 15210
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2020 at 5:59am

Originally posted by EdwinSm, EdwinSm, wrote:

So basically to keep his supporters happy he is willing to let the pandemic continue out of control.

I'm not sure it's that simple.  He believes a swimming economy is his best chance at re-election.  He has to know by now he can't win this with solely the support of his base.  That constituency does not comprise the majority.  

There are other reasons, but I won't go into them.  All told, he was given bad advice and I'll leave it there.   

Back to Top
Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin
Avatar

Joined: January 16 2014
Location: Scotland
Status: Offline
Points: 84075
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2020 at 5:58am

Originally posted by JellyMama JellyMama wrote:

Why wouldn’t he want it under control if that is a factor in his re-election?
Everyone is guessing here, Republicans and Democrats and those unaffialiated.  The only person who could give you an honest answer to that would be Trump himself and he doesn't have the best honesty record.

For what little it is worth, IMHO, I think he made light of the virus at the start and now he would look confused, misinformed, ill-educated or lying if he changed his stance.  Hoping for re-election, that only leaves the option of 'brazen it out'; let it run riot but claim it is under control.  It's worked so far.


To summarise the science:


Mask wearing cuts down transmission of the virus, more for those the wearer comes in contact with than the wearer.
Mask wearing cuts down the severity of acquired infections, more for the wearer than those they come in contact with.

Social distancing reduces the transmission rate of the virus.

Obsessive hygene methods (washing hands, not touching face, using sanitiser and cleaning surfaces with soap, alcohol or bleach) reduce transmission of the virus.

Good ventilation reduces the transmission of the virus.

The true backbone of epidemiological control is: "Test, trace and isolate".  This is the most vital of all.

Isolation, shielding, quarrantine and lockdowns all MASSIVELY reduce viral transmission.  They are both the most effective option and the most economically costly.

NOT A SINGLE ONE OF THESE IS TOTALLY EFFECTIVE.  But put together in a comprehensive plan, they can drop the transmission rate below the magical R0 = 1 point.  If that is achieved, the virus can be eliminated.

To achieve this  a leader needs to take 5 steps:

1, Tell the bald unadulterated truth to the people.  Mask wearing is a patriotic duty to your fellow Citizens.  This is a marathon not a sprint; some controls must remain until a vaccine is found - only then, can you get the longed-for herd immunity - without colossal loss of life.

2,  Set up a comprehensive, national plan.  Starting with full lockdown and going on to specific areas of continued transmission only. Do ALL the rest as well.

3,  Lead the fight.  Follow your own rules and restrictions.  Set an example to the people.  Don't say: "Wear a mask" and take your own off.  Don't ban travel and then jett off.

4,  Set up assistance for those economically damaged and pay it all back later.  A sick, terrified workforce can't work.  Yes, this will cause an economic catastrophy!  But it will be a smaller one than it would have been if you fail.

5, Protect the medical staff.  They are your best weapon.  Protect the suppliers, farmers, distributors and those whose work enables the people to get necessary supplies.  You only think you need the rest.


I think it is now too late to adopt that strategy and still get re-elected.  The country needs it, the campaign does not.

ERCD
Back to Top
Dutch Josh View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group


Joined: May 01 2013
Location: Arnhem-Netherla
Status: Online
Points: 49427
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutch Josh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2020 at 1:26am

Dr. John Campbell: Wearing a mask is critical, not political...Some people make pandemics, masks, medicine, science "politics". One should ask why they do so...

We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.
~Albert Einstein
Back to Top
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin
Avatar

Joined: September 08 2007
Location: San Diego
Status: Offline
Points: 47226
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2020 at 10:50pm

Refusing to either wear a mask or advocate for wearing one is a deliberate tactic to appease his base, pure and simple. Science and medical advice are not something Trump is receptive to.


"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
Back to Top
EdwinSm, View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group


Joined: April 03 2013
Status: Offline
Points: 19435
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdwinSm, Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2020 at 10:46pm

Originally posted by JellyMama JellyMama wrote:

Why wouldn’t he want it under control if that is a factor in his re-election?

Because many of his supporters have made a litmus test* of the following 

 wearing mask =  loss of personal freedom


For Trump to support mask wearing (in accordance to most medical opinion) would mean going against what most of his hard core supporters want.  Trump for his other faults seems to be very very good at reading the emotions and desires of his supporters and going with what they want.    So for Trump to be pro-mask means that he risks alienating his supports which he is unlikey to do so soon to an election.

So basically to keep his supporters happy he is willing to let the pandemic continue out of control.



* this phrase may date me, but in its day it meant a firm result between two alternatives (in the lab: between acid and alkaline)  

Back to Top
JellyMama View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Avatar

Joined: February 25 2020
Location: Texas
Status: Offline
Points: 375
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JellyMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2020 at 10:29pm

Sorry, you didn’t answer my question with your response. Why wouldn’t he want it under control if that is a factor in his re-election?

Back to Top
carbon20 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: April 08 2006
Location: West Australia
Status: Offline
Points: 51386
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2020 at 3:20pm

Originally posted by JellyMama JellyMama wrote:

If masks reduce the spread, wouldn’t Trump want everyone to wear masks to reduce the spread so he could get reelected if that was his goal? I’m not saying masks are ineffective but if you think Trump is doing or not doing things to get re-elected, then it doesn’t make any sense.

Why do you listen to the Real Estate guy.....?

who just wants a 2nd term,and has insisted its nothing to worry about.......(220 thousand  dead.........)

(If a 1,000 people  were killed in a plane crash a day would you get on a plane or take advise not to fly?)

And not Dr Fauci......who has Cared for the American people  for years,and served numerous  Presidents  ?


 look at what other countries  are doing/ recommending.......

The Independent: Coronavirus: Masks should be mandatory in offices and outdoors, say doctors.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/face-masks-coronavirus-outdoors-office-work-bma-b938511.html

ABC News: Coronavirus Australia live news:.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-10-11/coronavirus-australia-live-news-covid-19-latest/12751498

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.🖖

Marcus Aurelius
Back to Top
ViQueen24 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group
Avatar

Joined: May 14 2013
Location: Verona, PA
Status: Offline
Points: 8160
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ViQueen24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2020 at 10:37am

Welcome back, Jack's Dad, a voice of reason.

Back to Top
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin
Avatar

Joined: September 08 2007
Location: San Diego
Status: Offline
Points: 47226
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2020 at 9:44am

Back on topic - if the Superspreader-in-Chief makes it through the weekend (this is probably the make or break period in his recovery), at least he can rest easy knowing that he's probably going to eclipse the number of infections from the Rose Garden debacle by a mile with the rallies and gatherings he has planned. Wonder if he's started to crash yet after the fun and games we saw while he was out of his gourd on steroids?

For those who missed it, check out this awesome slice of craziness...


"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
Back to Top
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin
Avatar

Joined: September 08 2007
Location: San Diego
Status: Offline
Points: 47226
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2020 at 9:29am

Good to be back. Thankfully I didn't die again (old timers will get that one...).

Been a bit busy with work and my ridiculously long to-do list, and it doesn't help that my phone - my primary link these days to the internet - hates AFT with a passion. I finally got our old desktop computer working again though, so hopefully we're back in business. Nice to have a keyboard that's the same size as my big, fat fingers.

I'm an essential healthcare worker and my patients are extremely immune compromised, so many of their routine clinic visits for things like blood draws have now become home visits, with me rolling up to their front door in full PPE and undoubtedly making them the talk of the neighborhood. Driving a white unmarked van probably doesn't help in that respect  

I've been trying to prepare for what I feel is an inevitable resurgence in Covid-19 by building lots of storage space in the apartment and garage. I've been going through my original preps too, and pretty much tossing everything and replacing it with fresh stuff. Word to the wise - canned preps do not do well after their expiration date. I had always been told they would last indefinitely, and while I'm sure we wouldn't have died if we'd used them, the ones I tested did not taste good. Lesson learned - rotate on a regular basis. Today's project is a new steel security door instead of the old screen door, just in case we need it. It's something I've been putting off for a while, but I think it might be prudent in light of the fact that we're seeing a lot more opportunistic crime in San Diego right now, especially things like bikes. My son's was recently taken from the balcony outside our bedroom window while we were home. They got through a steel U-lock and a cable with a huge padlock and we didn't hear a thing. Lots of garage break ins too, especially since San Diego PD have made it clear it's no longer a priority with everything else that's going on.

Anyway - off to buy some steel to fit my handy dandy new door. Catch you guys later. Nice to be back  




"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
Back to Top
Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin
Avatar

Joined: January 16 2014
Location: Scotland
Status: Offline
Points: 84075
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2020 at 5:48am

  Jacksdad!    

  You're back!    

  WELCOME HOME!  

  We missed you!     

  I missed you!!!  

ERCD
Back to Top
WitchMisspelled View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group
Avatar

Joined: January 20 2020
Status: Offline
Points: 15210
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2020 at 3:55am

Good to see you Jacksdad!  Life does get in the way, doesn't it.  Hope things are being resolved satisfactorily for you and yours.

Back to Top
EdwinSm, View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group


Joined: April 03 2013
Status: Offline
Points: 19435
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote EdwinSm, Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2020 at 3:52am

Good to see you back, Jacksdad


Do you think that other man would be pleased to be called a SUPER-speader ?   Would he take it as a compliment?

Quote Top US virus expert Dr Anthony Fauci has criticised the White House for hosting a gathering last month that has been linked to an outbreak of Covid-19.

Dr Fauci, a member of the White House coronavirus task force, said the unveiling of President Donald Trump's nominee to the Supreme Court was a "superspreader event".

At least 11 people who attended the event on 26 September tested positive.

https://www.bbc.com/news/election-us-2020-54487154

I think the definition of a superspreader event is 10 or more people being infected.

Back to Top
carbon20 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: April 08 2006
Location: West Australia
Status: Offline
Points: 51386
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2020 at 2:58am

Hi jacksdad,

Missed ya, Hope you been OK....

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.🖖

Marcus Aurelius
Back to Top
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin
Avatar

Joined: September 08 2007
Location: San Diego
Status: Offline
Points: 47226
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2020 at 2:44am

Back at ya, KiwiMum   

Sorry I haven’t been around - life’s being getting in the way a little. 

"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
Back to Top
KiwiMum View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: May 29 2013
Status: Offline
Points: 18615
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2020 at 1:54am

Originally posted by jacksdad jacksdad wrote:

Did someone actually suggest I left for a better site? Good luck finding one 

  

Hi Jacksdad, long time no see. I've missed your comments.

You can't fix stupid.
Back to Top
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin
Avatar

Joined: September 08 2007
Location: San Diego
Status: Offline
Points: 47226
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2020 at 1:46am

Did someone actually suggest I left for a better site? Good luck finding one 

  

"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
Back to Top
AI View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group


Joined: January 21 2020
Status: Offline
Points: 8630
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2020 at 12:24am

Originally posted by JellyMama JellyMama wrote:

If masks reduce the spread, wouldn’t Trump want everyone to wear masks to reduce the spread so he could get reelected if that was his goal? I’m not saying masks are ineffective but if you think Trump is doing or not doing things to get re-elected, then it doesn’t make any sense.

Logic and liberals don't get along so well.

“Facts don't care about your feelings.”
― Ben Shapiro
Back to Top
JellyMama View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Avatar

Joined: February 25 2020
Location: Texas
Status: Offline
Points: 375
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JellyMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2020 at 11:49pm

If masks reduce the spread, wouldn’t Trump want everyone to wear masks to reduce the spread so he could get reelected if that was his goal? I’m not saying masks are ineffective but if you think Trump is doing or not doing things to get re-elected, then it doesn’t make any sense.

Back to Top
AI View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group


Joined: January 21 2020
Status: Offline
Points: 8630
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2020 at 11:22pm

Originally posted by WitchMisspelled WitchMisspelled wrote:

 Although there is nothing specific about this, there can be an Executive Order under the Public Health Service Act directing the Surgeon General to make and enforce regulations that are, in his/her judgement, necessary. So yes.  The POTUS can enable the mandate of mask wearing.  


You're welcome.

You are wrong, completely yet again.

https://crsreports.congress.gov/product/pdf/LSB/LSB10530

 

Even Hidin Joe Dementia Biden changed his tune regarding the Presidents authority to issue a mask mandate through an EO.

https://reason.com/2020/09/18/biden-and-trump-now-agree-the-president-has-no-authority-to-impose-a-nationwide-mask-mandate/

You are welcome.

“Facts don't care about your feelings.”
― Ben Shapiro
Back to Top
WitchMisspelled View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group
Avatar

Joined: January 20 2020
Status: Offline
Points: 15210
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2020 at 6:53am

There's the rub, Technophobe.  

Back to Top
Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin
Avatar

Joined: January 16 2014
Location: Scotland
Status: Offline
Points: 84075
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2020 at 5:16am

But apparently not, if it messes up his chances of re-election.

ERCD
Back to Top
WitchMisspelled View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group
Avatar

Joined: January 20 2020
Status: Offline
Points: 15210
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2020 at 4:46am

 Although there is nothing specific about this, there can be an Executive Order under the Public Health Service Act directing the Surgeon General to make and enforce regulations that are, in his/her judgement, necessary. So yes.  The POTUS can enable the mandate of mask wearing.  


You're welcome.

Back to Top
EdwinSm, View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group


Joined: April 03 2013
Status: Offline
Points: 19435
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdwinSm, Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2020 at 10:53pm

Thanks Little House for that information.     So a  law requiring people to wear face masks is not in itself unconstitutional, its legality  depends on who issues or cannot issue the order, and from what you say the President can not issue the order.  

However, the President has a lot of influence and he could still use his influence to encourage safe health practices, but he has chosen to go another route


Back to Top
Little House View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member


Joined: February 13 2020
Location: Ohio
Status: Offline
Points: 1530
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Little House Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2020 at 3:28pm

Originally posted by KiwiMum KiwiMum wrote:

How interesting about the seat belts. So if you drive from one state that doesn't make you wear seat belts into the neighbouring state that does make you wear them, is there a sort of border crossing where you get informed about the change? Or is it just a road with a sign saying "welcome to Kentucky" and nothing else? If you didn't know you could end up in trouble. It must be like mainland Europe with each state being almost like it's own little country with it's own laws. 

Some states post their laws on signs on the interstate (speed limits, what to do when you see a police officer on the side of the road, seatbelt laws and other things as well).  I have heard that it is recommended to look up state laws in every state that you will be traveling in, but I never have and I have never had any trouble.  Like mask laws, if something is new or different it will be posted so that people know.

Back to Top
KiwiMum View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: May 29 2013
Status: Offline
Points: 18615
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2020 at 2:42pm

Originally posted by Little House Little House wrote:

Originally posted by EdwinSm, EdwinSm, wrote:

If the Constitution does not allow masks to be made mandatory then is the requirement to wear seat belts in cars illegal, or is it Constitutionally illegal to insist the women are not allow to go topless?  Even the Bible tells how God allowed Eve to run around naked in the garden - so if that is how women were created then why insist that they be covered up?


This reminds me of Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy, where a robot had been constructed to blend in on earth and one of the requirements what that it could hold seven (my memory could be wrong on the actual number) totally incompatible ideas at any one time without that creating any conflict in its operation.     Looking at the mask debate is is clear that the logic applied to not wearing masks is not applied in other areas of life.  


 

I know that it is hard for those who don’t live here to understand, but the mask laws are the same as the seatbelt laws, they are mandated by the states, not the federal government.  Did you know that not every state requires adults to wear seatbelts?  Most states have laws requiring that seatbelts be worn and most people wear them, but it is not a federal law.  So yes, it would be unconstitutional for the federal government to require seatbelts. (I’m not going to talk about laws requiring clothes, but they too are local laws.). 

We take local government very seriously here. My state has set up a color coded system to let people know how their county is doing.  The interesting thing is that when a county has a lot of cases, it is up to local governments and local health departments to decide what to do.

  It is not a perfect system, people fall through the cracks, but it is our system and overall it works.  So this is why we blame the individual states so much.  We know that they are the ones with the real power.  



How interesting about the seat belts. So if you drive from one state that doesn't make you wear seat belts into the neighbouring state that does make you wear them, is there a sort of border crossing where you get informed about the change? Or is it just a road with a sign saying "welcome to Kentucky" and nothing else? If you didn't know you could end up in trouble. It must be like mainland Europe with each state being almost like it's own little country with it's own laws. 

You can't fix stupid.
Back to Top
Little House View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member


Joined: February 13 2020
Location: Ohio
Status: Offline
Points: 1530
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Little House Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2020 at 9:07am

Originally posted by EdwinSm, EdwinSm, wrote:

If the Constitution does not allow masks to be made mandatory then is the requirement to wear seat belts in cars illegal, or is it Constitutionally illegal to insist the women are not allow to go topless?  Even the Bible tells how God allowed Eve to run around naked in the garden - so if that is how women were created then why insist that they be covered up?


This reminds me of Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy, where a robot had been constructed to blend in on earth and one of the requirements what that it could hold seven (my memory could be wrong on the actual number) totally incompatible ideas at any one time without that creating any conflict in its operation.     Looking at the mask debate is is clear that the logic applied to not wearing masks is not applied in other areas of life.  


 

I know that it is hard for those who don’t live here to understand, but the mask laws are the same as the seatbelt laws, they are mandated by the states, not the federal government.  Did you know that not every state requires adults to wear seatbelts?  Most states have laws requiring that seatbelts be worn and most people wear them, but it is not a federal law.  So yes, it would be unconstitutional for the federal government to require seatbelts. (I’m not going to talk about laws requiring clothes, but they too are local laws.). 

We take local government very seriously here. My state has set up a color coded system to let people know how their county is doing.  The interesting thing is that when a county has a lot of cases, it is up to local governments and local health departments to decide what to do.

  It is not a perfect system, people fall through the cracks, but it is our system and overall it works.  So this is why we blame the individual states so much.  We know that they are the ones with the real power.  



Back to Top
Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin
Avatar

Joined: January 16 2014
Location: Scotland
Status: Offline
Points: 84075
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2020 at 5:26am

Why should I be anything other than polite to you, Jellymama?  You have never been rude to me.  As far as I can tell, you have never been rude to anyone, however much you might disagree on some things.  I wish more people were like you, it would help everyone move toward a ballance point and learn from each other - which is the whole BL**DY point of this site!  

I wish I could offer more comfort than a few words.  It is a paltry heart's-ease I can share.  But not for want of wishing.

ERCD
Back to Top
carbon20 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: April 08 2006
Location: West Australia
Status: Offline
Points: 51386
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2020 at 12:59am



😉


Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.🖖

Marcus Aurelius
Back to Top
EdwinSm, View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group


Joined: April 03 2013
Status: Offline
Points: 19435
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote EdwinSm, Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2020 at 10:51pm

If the Constitution does not allow masks to be made mandatory then is the requirement to wear seat belts in cars illegal, or is it Constitutionally illegal to insist the women are not allow to go topless?  Even the Bible tells how God allowed Eve to run around naked in the garden - so if that is how women were created then why insist that they be covered up?


This reminds me of Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy, where a robot had been constructed to blend in on earth and one of the requirements what that it could hold seven (my memory could be wrong on the actual number) totally incompatible ideas at any one time without that creating any conflict in its operation.     Looking at the mask debate is is clear that the logic applied to not wearing masks is not applied in other areas of life.  


Back to Top
JellyMama View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Avatar

Joined: February 25 2020
Location: Texas
Status: Offline
Points: 375
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JellyMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2020 at 10:32pm

Thank you Technophobe for your kind words. Comments made after yours revert back to the same name calling, childish word exchanges that I’m so sick of. People can have a differing opinion without calling each other names. And as for Trump, ya’ll better hope he wins or socialism and/or the far left will prevail. As for you Non-Americans, you have no knowledge of our American ways and why Americans act the way they do. From our founding, Americans have fought against any type of government control over us and a mask mandate or keeping the US shut down any longer than it was would not have been tolerated. I wear a mask always, but for the most part it is my choice. Our Constitution would not have allowed Trump to mandate masks, the governors would have to do that. And quit being disrespectful by calling President Trump “Chump”. I don’t care if you like him or not. And I watched his daily coronavirus briefings everyday and he did not downplay or not tell people how serious it was. Ya’ll are just repeating the highly edited quotes from the news media. Get a grip people. Stick to discussing the virus and this site may gain back some credibility.

Back to Top
AI View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group


Joined: January 21 2020
Status: Offline
Points: 8630
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2020 at 8:31pm

Originally posted by carbon20 carbon20 wrote:






.

Mask free, virus free...... 

following the science......

Bussiness booming......

"He who laughs last".....

Didn't we hear that before then it all changed and you locked down half the country? LOL It's not if it's going to come to WA only when. Sneaking little cold virus. Oh really business in AU is booming huh. Talk about rose colored glasses. LOL

“Facts don't care about your feelings.”
― Ben Shapiro
Back to Top
carbon20 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: April 08 2006
Location: West Australia
Status: Offline
Points: 51386
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2020 at 4:57pm





The only thing that will save the planet from us is a 

"slate wiper"

Something that I have long advocated on here........

It is his fault that USA is in the bad state it's in now.......

Take off the rose tinted specs.......

Wake up......... 

Rather be here than there......

Mask free, virus free...... 

following the science......

Bussiness booming......

"He who laughs last".....

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.🖖

Marcus Aurelius
Back to Top
AI View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group


Joined: January 21 2020
Status: Offline
Points: 8630
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2020 at 4:48pm

Originally posted by carbon20 carbon20 wrote:






"facts don't care about your feelings"..........

Fact:

 210 thousand dead Americans......

Over 600 thousand people griveing......

For lost loved ones because of a virus

That chump knew was going to be bad in January......

But No he needs to be re-elected at

 ALL COSTS......

"FACTS......dont care about your love for a Orange faced Clown".......

LOL yeah it's all his fault. What a joke you are. You obviously have no understanding of what was done by the federal government or the state governments in regards to covid. Live in your little world of political woo woo. And don't forget global warming is going to kill us all, but AU is going first LOL

“Facts don't care about your feelings.”
― Ben Shapiro
Back to Top
carbon20 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: April 08 2006
Location: West Australia
Status: Offline
Points: 51386
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2020 at 4:15pm






"facts don't care about your feelings"..........

Fact:

 210 thousand dead Americans......

Over 600 thousand people griveing......

For lost loved ones because of a virus

That chump knew was going to be bad in January......

But No he needs to be re-elected at

 ALL COSTS......

"FACTS......dont care about your love for a Orange faced Clown".......

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.🖖

Marcus Aurelius
Back to Top
AI View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group


Joined: January 21 2020
Status: Offline
Points: 8630
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2020 at 3:51pm

Originally posted by carbon20 carbon20 wrote:





The only thing wrong here is 

Chump killing 210 thousand people through his desire to get a 2nd term......

If you can't see that then you need to go back  to neverland......


Riding your little 2 dollar pony again huh giddy up lil Trumpy.

“Facts don't care about your feelings.”
― Ben Shapiro
Back to Top
KiwiMum View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: May 29 2013
Status: Offline
Points: 18615
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2020 at 3:38pm

It would be really helpful if some proper medical reporting were released by the government. If only they would release honest information it would prove really useful to the people. For example, Melania is obviously in good physical shape and by the muscle tone of her arms alone, she obviously works out. Now it appears she's having a much easier ride of the virus than the president is, so if would be useful if the official doctors would tell people how being slim and fit can help people  - afterall we all know that being overweight increases the chances of complications. 

And by that same measure, if only they'd be honest about Trump. Right now they are trying to make people believe that a 74 year old man, who is obese, who doesn't exercise and lives off fast food can breeze through the disease. It's such false information and will only lull people into a false sense of security. And that's not to mention that he's getting the best possible medical treatment and access to drugs that other people can't get. 

Boris Johnson's experience of Covid was more honest and he was man enough to say that his weight made things worse and since then he's been exercising and dieting to lose weight. I can respect him for his honesty.

You can't fix stupid.
Back to Top
carbon20 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: April 08 2006
Location: West Australia
Status: Offline
Points: 51386
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2020 at 3:37pm





The only thing wrong here is 

Chump killing 210 thousand people through his desire to get a 2nd term......

If you can't see that then you need to go back  to neverland......


Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.🖖

Marcus Aurelius
Back to Top
AI View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group


Joined: January 21 2020
Status: Offline
Points: 8630
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2020 at 3:21pm

Originally posted by WitchMisspelled WitchMisspelled wrote:

Oh, on the off chance he wins it'll get much MUCH worse.  But not to worry, we'll still ignore you. 

Like you ever saying anything useful or pertinent that's based in fact anyway. Speculation and woo woo or just plain wrong is your style.

“Facts don't care about your feelings.”
― Ben Shapiro
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down